How many assistants get the axe? | The Boneyard

How many assistants get the axe?

How many assistants get the axe?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I say two at least, Cummings and Verducci. Pray that Balis stays. Even though the season was a failure the kids did look like they were in better shape than the year before and didn't look gassed in the 4th quarter. They just looked defeated.

Reaction Score
I say two at least, Cummings and Verducci. Pray that Balis stays. Even though the season was a failure the kids did look like they were in better shape than the year before and didn't look gassed in the 4th quarter. They just looked defeated.
The kids might lok in better shape but they seemed to have a step or two on the field of play. Maybe we can get a yoga instructor too to get back some of their flexibility. We were a syep slower than our opponents this year.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I see two possible scenarios:

A) Either through someone stepping forward or the BOT being willing to bite the bullet and approving Diaco's dismissal, we bring in anew HC who may retain two or three assistants (for continuity but also to retain talent where it exists).

B) A minimum of one of Verducci and Cummings is gone (along with limey Lineburg), a new OL coach along with an OC/QB coach will be brought in to replace them. Additionally, we end up with a new DC.

Reaction Score
Better hope all, none of these coaches should be coaching at the peewee level anyway

Reaction Score

A) Either through someone stepping forward or the BOT being willing to bite the bullet and approving Diaco's dismissal, we bring in anew HC who may retain two or three assistants (for continuity but also to retain talent where it exists).

B) A minimum of one of Verducci and Cummings is gone (along with limey Lineburg), a new OL coach along with an OC/QB coach will be brought in to replace them. Additionally, we end up with a new DC.
These 3 at a minimum need to be fired IF Diaco stays!

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
We need at minimum a change at both OC and OL. We also need, IMO, a change at DC.

How many of those will be actual firings instead of shuffles? I'm not sure, but if those three aren't changed at a minimum, get ready for a craptastic 2017...

Reaction Score
How many times did Tulane Qb grow slants without UConn guarding them? I don't know what the positions are called that are supposed to be out there guarding them but they weren't doing their job. Frustrating.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score

Likely, not limey (I need to stop using this tablet).

Reaction Score
New OC - it's as plain as day, and also need a new OL coach. That really was the heart of all our offensive woes. Can't run block, and pass blocking is non-existent - even with the D rushing 4 men we gave up sacks. Other than a competent QB, everything starts with that.

ST coach should go too - 5 returned punts for 2 yards for the whole year????

Reaction Score
New OC - it's as plain as day, and also need a new OL coach. That really was the heart of all our offensive woes. Can't run block, and pass blocking is non-existent - even with the D rushing 4 men we gave up sacks. Other than a competent QB, everything starts with that.

Punt returns are on Diaco...he was very clear earlier this year on why he won't return punts. As for Offensive Assistants..add QB coach Wayne Lineburg to the list you already have containing Verducci and Cummings.

Reaction Score

2 at a minimum
OL coach Foley where are you????
OC...Tony Levine who is now at WKU.
P.S. TOM HERMAN won at Houston with all Levine recruits.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Why would any of this staff be retained? What units played well? As for S&C I don't know. Looked like we have big kids who get pushed around a lot and are not very physical.

I agree - we did get pushed around a lot this year. But to be fair, that is more on the coaches not teaching proper technique and leverage than Balis. Cummings needs to go (as well as the majority of this wishy washy staff).

Reaction Score
Why do you want Balis to stay? He more than anyone else failed to train the OL properly to develop quickness, agility, and speed. They were overweight and slow. He and Cummings would be first out the door in my opinion.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Punt returns are on Diaco...he was very clear earlier this year on why he won't return punts. As for Offensive Assistants..add QB coach Wayne Lineburg to the list you already have containing Verducci and Cummings.

And this explains why no matter what assistant coaching changes are made, it won't amount to any improvement as long as we are still tethered to Coach Diwhacko. You hire a new ST coach who is instructed on Day One that under no uncertain terms are we ever to return a punt. What changes? Absolutely nothing.

You can parade the best collection of assistant coaches on the planet through here, and Bobby will destroy any beneficial effects they might provide because he will not leave them alone to do their jobs.

Reaction Score
You'd think with an offense as anemic as ours that a HC would be open to returning punts on the off chance someone can break one. Fiasco just boggles the mind and all sense of logic.

Dooley

Reaction Score
If Diaco can't be fired because of buyout, then UConn will need to double its assistant coaches pool and run a complete overhaul of his staff...even if it doesn't see eye-to-eye with Diaco's uber conservative tendencies. It's absurd to think that our new OC or DC (or both) will come in from Day 1 and have more job security than our head coach, but that's on UConn for giving Diaco an absurd buyout increase.

2017 should be fun. Buy your tickets now!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Anyone associated with the secondary has to go. They were clueless all year.

Dooley

Reaction Score
You'd think with an offense as anemic as ours that a HC would be open to returning punts on the off chance someone can break one. Fiasco just boggles the mind and all sense of logic.

I don't get it either. Why voluntarily choose to begin drives as far back as possible when we have an offense that struggles to even get a single first down?? Punt returns can improve field position and, God forbid, produce points. Why we don't do it is just another example of a head coach whose philosophies are better suited for 1950s football than 2016.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Beyond that, with the control the clock, field position, depend on quality defense philosophy he supposedly adheres to, having superior special teams play is an integral part of that philosophy. We basically concede special teams play every game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom