How does Paige compare to UCONN's best | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How does Paige compare to UCONN's best

Reaction Score
Go to Stats at the below link. I used the career number

View attachment 95361
The career statistics aren't accurate for the current season. The game-by-game statistics just above that are accurate and show Paige as 39 for 80 on 3-point FGs. The career stats section for whatever reason is missing a few games so maybe it only updates once a week or once a month who knows.

Reaction Score
Best players include multiple AA and/or POY winners Bascom, Rizzotti, Wolters, Abrosimova, Jefferson and Samuelson. Maybe Cash? Sales? At the least the POY players should be considered among the best.

Jefferson’s percentages in particular might challenge Bueckers.
Why does Napheesa get left out so often? After her freshman year she carried the team playing out of position as an undersized post and still racked up insane stats while being a team player. One of my top 5 for sure.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Why does Napheesa get left out so often? After her freshman year she carried the team playing out of position as an undersized post and still racked up insane stats while being a team player. One of my top 5 for sure.
? Collier was in the OPs list of best players. My list was the one citing those left out.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Paige is phenomenal, but as a college player at Uconn, she has been injured more than she has been healthy, and her career will not match up to Breanna, Moriah, or Morgan in terms of winning, or with Maya or DT in terms of clutch, or with any number of players in terms of scoring, rebounds, assists, steals, blocks, etc.

And while one can compare teammates and say others had better, Nika, Aaliyah, and Paige are a pretty impressive class to be a part of. Injuries to Paige and others have taken a serious toll on results.

Paige is a great shooter and very creative with the ball in the style of DT. If she can remain healthy she should have a very good pro career as well. She is always a highlight waiting to happen on the floor, but people seem to forget that was the same way DT played in college, and Moore, and Breanna, and Gaby, and ...

Reaction Score
My all-time "starting five" has been (no particular order) Bird, Taurasi, Charles, Stewart, Moore. Under my rules, if you are going to replace one with Paige, there must remain a "starting" five, hence you must have a true center. So Tina stays.

I'd replace Sue with Paige.

Reaction Score
Everyone has great points here. But it comes down to opportunity. Being at the right place at the right time. I’m a Paige fan for sure. But, only has one player basically helping in Aaliyah. I’m a Sveta fan. She elevated our game. Sadly she got hurt at the wrong time just like Shea. I’m a Katie Lou and Dorka fan. They got hurt again at the wrong time imagine if it were different.

Reaction Score
Maya Moore is the UConn standard for me and I think Paige is the closest we've seen to the kind of efficient, fluid play. Diana, Sue, Rebecca, Maya and Breanna sit at a table all on their own for a variety of reasons. Paige if she keeps it up could join or at minimum sit somewhere adjacent.

Reaction Score
Teams win titles.

There have been shooters as good as Bueckers, ball handlers as good, passers as good and clutch players too but no one as good in all those areas. DT let her emotions lead her to some bad decisions in college and later as a pro. Bueckers didn't choke like DT in her first FF. Instead, she carried the team. Stewart wasn't much of a 3 pt shooter until her senior year.

I fell in love with Bueckers when she was in high school. I've never seen anyone with her level of intensity and sheer joy of playing coupled with a unique skill level at all phases of the game. Fans can point to career numbers but if I was choosing a team Bueckers would be the first player I picked.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Best players begs the question of best at what? Guards will not be best at the same things as posts. Sometimes productivity conflicts with efficiency, or making teammates better. Given that the OP focused on Bueckers and provided the three point shooting percentages, I am treating best in terms of efficiency.

This is important to me personally because I like to watch beautiful basketball as much as winning basketball. Efficiency metrics are the ones closest to reflecting the beauty of basketball, players making and executing good decisions. While I expect many to disagree, those players best at efficiency are the best players I want to watch.

Bueckers is the most efficient out of the players presented by the OP. Some might point to the higher overall percentages of Charles and Collier, but three point efficiency surpasses two points in eFG%. Also, for a guard the efficiency of A/T is just as important for watching beautiful basketball. I suspect Bueckers is more efficient than the other guards (including Bird) are at passing, or the posts are at rebounding,

The two players I wonder about in terms of their metrics are Jefferson and T. Williams. Jefferson might have better guard statistics for her career, I don’t know. The lack of 3-point shooting by T. Williams might be more than compensated by her record setting 70%+ overall. She was also efficient at rebounding, with the putbacks contributing to her stratospheric shooting percentage.

I still give the edge to Bueckers because 1) her freshman starting point for efficiency started so high and 2) she currently is trending upwards.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Stewie will always be my GOAT. She made winning 4 national championships in a row look so damned easy. (And major credit to Mo and Tuck, but Stewie was the secret sauce.)

Reaction Score
The question is how does Paige compare not Paiges career. So as a healthy basketball player she is right there with Diana as top 2. Natural gifts not easy to find, great mid range game and gets where she wants at will. Unlike the many great UConn players before her she hasn’t been as fortunate to have other great players around her so she’s been forced to do a lot with the other teams focus on her not beating them. Yet when healthy she is special and continues to make this team better even with the many injuries. For me #2 behind Diana but potentially would have been the best with a better cast.

Reaction Score
The question is how does Paige compare not Paiges career. So as a healthy basketball player she is right there with Diana as top 2. Natural gifts not easy to find, great mid range game and gets where she wants at will. Unlike the many great UConn players before her she hasn’t been as fortunate to have other great players around her so she’s been forced to do a lot with the other teams focus on her not beating them. Yet when healthy she is special and continues to make this team better even with the many injuries. For me #2 behind Diana but potentially would have been the best with a better cast.
You make a good point. We get too wrapped up in career accomplishments instead of the player. If it's career accomplishments it's hard to argue with Stewie. 4 NCs? I don't think we will ever see that again. However, if we are talking about the player, like who we would choose first in a pick up game, it's a little different discussion. With my first pick I take DT over Paige. Why? Well Paige can take a lot on punishment, but DT can give a lot of punishment.

Reaction Score
Best players begs the question of best at what? Guards will not be best at the same things as posts. Sometimes productivity conflicts with efficiency, or making teammates better. Given that the OP focused on Bueckers and provided the three point shooting percentages, I am treating best in terms of efficiency.

This is important to me personally because I like to watch beautiful basketball as much as winning basketball. Efficiency metrics are the ones closest to reflecting the beauty of basketball, players making and executing good decisions. While I expect many to disagree, those players best at efficiency are the best players I want to watch.

Bueckers is the most efficient out of the players presented by the OP. Some might point to the higher overall percentages of Charles and Collier, but three point efficiency surpasses two points in eFG%. Also, for a guard the efficiency of A/T is just as important for watching beautiful basketball. I suspect Bueckers is more efficient than the other guards (including Bird) are at passing, or the posts are at rebounding,

The two players I wonder about in terms of their metrics are Jefferson and T. Williams. Jefferson might have better guard statistics for her career, I don’t know. The lack of 3-point shooting by T. Williams might be more than compensated by her record setting 70%+ overall. She was also efficient at rebounding, with the putbacks contributing to her stratospheric shooting percentage.

I still give the edge to Bueckers because 1) her freshman starting point for efficiency started so high and 2) she currently is trending upwards.
You stated my beliefs better than I could. Any time in a UCONN player discussion, it always come down to Stewart's 4 NC in 4 years. Since that accomplishment can only be tied, no future player can ever be considered "better".
My point was Paige's efficiency is unchallenged. Does that make her the "best" shooter?
That would be another discussion.
I agree with you, that her efficiency , based on her decision making, makes her for me, then most enjoyable player ever to watch. She is a surgeon out there.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I like taking us emotional Husky fans out of the question? How many other UConn Greats were AP Player of The Year and Naismith Player of The Year as a freshman? Answer, zero Huskies and zero any other NCAA D1 player. First freshman for either award. Her injuries take away a lot of comparisons, but for me she is hovering around the top.

Reaction Score
i think that most UConn fans will agree that the top 3 players at UConn are: Maya, Stewie and DT. For me, Paige is as good a player as any of those 3. Clearly, she didn't have the same level of success because of injuries and bad luck with injuries to teammates (just think what would a Paige/Azzi backcourt look like if they have been playing together for 3 years without injuries). If Paige can somehow bring a Championship to UConn this season or next, she should be considered on the mountain top with the other 3. I don't know that you can choose a best for the simple reason that they are different players, different positions, and played in different times against different teams/players.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
This is all great ... but you can't say you are comparing Paige to Uconn greats, and then when confronted with career comparisons say you aren't talking about career accomplishments, but only career efficiency (which is sort of a career accomplishment, no?)

In terms of single game numbers, I don't think Paige tops anything, in terms of single year numbers I don't think Paige tops anything and in terms of career she doesn't top anything. By the end of this year she may have pass Sue in 3 point percentage

If you are talking only scoring, and only efficiency of scoring, then yes, Paige is probably the most efficient scorer for her career to date and may well take that crown.

Again, I love Paige. She is an incredible basketball player. She is, on talent, one of the best to ever play the game. If she stays healthy this year who knows how far Uconn can go. If she can move past her injury years she is going to be amazing as a pro.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
This is all great ... but you can't say you are comparing Paige to Uconn greats, and then when confronted with career comparisons say you aren't talking about career accomplishments, but only career efficiency (which is sort of a career accomplishment, no?)

In terms of single game numbers, I don't think Paige tops anything, in terms of single year numbers I don't think Paige tops anything and in terms of career she doesn't top anything. By the end of this year she may have pass Sue in 3 point percentage

If you are talking only scoring, and only efficiency of scoring, then yes, Paige is probably the most efficient scorer for her career to date and may well take that crown.

Again, I love Paige. She is an incredible basketball player. She is, on talent, one of the best to ever play the game. If she stays healthy this year who knows how far Uconn can go. If she can move past her injury years she is going to be amazing as a pro.
? I don’t know if this was addressed to, or at least prompted by me and my focus on efficiency, but best is a subjective term. The OP listed stats that seem to indicate he is focused on career efficiency. There is nothing wrong with that, just as there is nothing wrong with those posters that countered that they think Stewart is best because of career championships, or Moore is best because of career productivity, or Taurasi is best because of being clutch, or any criteria for combining different career achievements.

I love watching beautiful basketball, I’ve stated that often enough, so my preference for best is going to be in terms of beauty and efficiency. The thing about efficiency is it does not depend as much on longevity as other types of “best.” So as long as Bueckers does not start tanking I do not feel the least misguided in saying she fits my own preference for best whenever her career is over.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I really enjoy watching Paige, I understand the injuries she and others have suffered, I think she's absolutely an amazing talent

But no, she's not better than 4 time champion Stewie. And at this point, I wouldn't put her ahead of Diana or Maya or Sue either.

She has to win a title, and I think she's talented enough to bring it home.

PS: Diana was right too, as a freshmen she was the best ever (Stewie and Maya are in that conversation too)

Reaction Score
i don’t think you can compare Paige it anyone else. Having watched women’s basketball for MANY years I can honestly say she is the best all around college player I’ve seen. UConn has had some absolutely am players. Paige is different! She had some injuries that have curtailed her career yet she is like a poet or artist on the floor. She may not take as many shots as others but she is so efficient and smooth. You can’t compare careers at this point because she hasn’t finished her college career yet. You can’t take about pro stats or USA basketball because she is a red shirt junior.
the other UConn greats may have more trophies than she does but that doesn’t define her… yet. DT and Maya were my choices before this year. we shall see what the rest of the season brings.

Reaction Score
i don’t think you can compare Paige it anyone else. Having watched women’s basketball for MANY years I can honestly say she is the best all around college player I’ve seen. UConn has had some absolutely am players. Paige is different! She had some injuries that have curtailed her career yet she is like a poet or artist on the floor. She may not take as many shots as others but she is so efficient and smooth. You can’t compare careers at this point because she hasn’t finished her college career yet. You can’t take about pro stats or USA basketball because she is a red shirt junior.
the other UConn greats may have more trophies than she does but that doesn’t define her… yet. DT and Maya were my choices before this year. we shall see what the rest of the season brings.
Again, are we talking about players or careers? Two different discussions, both are valid but somewhat different. Paige is definitely in the discussion about players, but she isn't in the discussion about careers (yet).

Reaction Score
?
Career three point FG% for Sue 45.9%
Career three point FG% for Paige 44.4%
It's a matter of taking fewer and only when open versus taking it when the team needs it - open or not.

Reaction Score
Stewie will always be my GOAT. She made winning 4 national championships in a row look so damned easy. (And major credit to Mo and Tuck, but Stewie was the secret sauce.)
Yes, I couldn’t agree more. I have Maya and DT up there too, as close (tied) second place, but Stewie is the top for me.

Paige is exceptional but she has suffered from injuries (and been surrounded by injuries). This isn’t her fault and doesn’t take away from her talent at ALL, but it’s an unfortunate circumstance that has limited her accomplishments in college. There’s still time for her to win a NC (or two). If and when that happens I think she’ll definitely be in top consideration. But for me, winning a NC is a requirement for the consideration of GOAT.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom