How does Paige compare to UCONN's best | Page 3 | The Boneyard

How does Paige compare to UCONN's best

Reaction Score
For me there has never been another player that could match the beauty of Maya Moore's game. There was a smooth aesthetic to her movement on the court that has been unparalleled. Nothing ever seemed choppy or forced. In someways it was like watching ballet, always fluid with bursts of energy but never disrupting the flow. It could at times be mesmerizing. She also projected supreme confidence. You just knew at any point she could totally take over a game and carry her team and as quickly fall back in the rhythm of her team's play. Her game stats just built naturally and many times you would be surprised at just how dominate on both ends of court she had been. If she sat for a few minutes, more than wanting her production back on the floor, you just felt cheated in not being able to see the beauty with which she played the game.

I feel Paige is among the greatest players to have ever worn a UConn uniform and feel truly blessed to once again see her healthy and not only reclaiming her freshman form but expanding on it. My hope is that she remains injury free and can be her best self, which is amazing. I also loved and appreciated watching Diana, Breanna, Sue, Tina and all the other great Huskies. All of them have made countless spectacular plays and had dominating games, seasons and careers. When I visualize beautiful basketball in my minds eye though I see Maya floating in with the ball raised high for a layup, rising up for a gorgeous release on a three, or going full court in long smooth strides to block a shot with outstretched fingertips.

Her career stats are unparalleled as well: points (#1) 3.036; rebounds (#2) 1,276; steals (#4) 310; assists (#10) 544; blocks (#9) 204 and most 3pt baskets made (#4) 311.

Reaction Score
In terms of skills and character, Paige is as good as anyone who’s ever played for UConn, or any team for that matter. But fate has not been kind to her so far and she has not had the same chances to win the greatest glory as her predecessors. I’m sure all of us find this very frustrating, since we feel she deserves to be on Mt Rushmore but we can’t put her there without an NC. And even worse, she’s not likely to get a chance at one this year, and next season a lot of things unrelated to her have to go right that have tended to go wrong recently.

Reaction Score
Yes, I couldn’t agree more. I have Maya and DT up there too, as close (tied) second place, but Stewie is the top for me.

Paige is exceptional but she has suffered from injuries (and been surrounded by injuries). This isn’t her fault and doesn’t take away from her talent at ALL, but it’s an unfortunate circumstance that has limited her accomplishments in college. There’s still time for her to win a NC (or two). If and when that happens I think she’ll definitely be in top consideration. But for me, winning a NC is a requirement for the consideration of GOAT.

But the title is “How does Paige compare to UConns best” right? Not her career, her as a basketball player. How good she is a player has little to do with bringing hom NCs especially considering the players she’s played versus whom other greats have had along their rides.

As a player she is arguably as good as any of them for her skillset and ability. Again, it’s up to anyone’s opinion but for me her and Diana are the best basketball players Geno has coached overall.

Reaction Score
But the title is “How does Paige compare to UConns best” right? Not her career, her as a basketball player. How good she is a player has little to do with bringing hom NCs especially considering the players she’s played versus whom other greats have had along their rides.

As a player she is arguably as good as any of them for her skillset and ability. Again, it’s up to anyone’s opinion but for me her and Diana are the best basketball players Geno has coached overall.
I guess it's up to personal interpretation. When I am comparing UConn's best, it's not just their ability to play basketball, but also what they are able to accomplish. If it's just purely the stats line then of course Paige is up there with the best. But since there's many great UConn basketball players, I personally prefer to also take into account other factors.

GOAT has to mean more (in my opinion) then simply having a great stat line. It's about a legacy, the accomplishments, etc.

Reaction Score
I guess it's up to personal interpretation. When I am comparing UConn's best, it's not just their ability to play basketball, but also what they are able to accomplish. If it's just purely the stats line then of course Paige is up there with the best. But since there's many great UConn basketball players, I personally prefer to also take into account other factors.

GOAT has to mean more (in my opinion) then simply having a great stat line. It's about a legacy, the accomplishments, etc.

Again, No one asked about the GOAT. They asked how she compares to the greats. She as a basketball player, when wearing the Husky uni most definitely is one of the best basketball players to hit the floor for the women. Because she got hurt, and the players around her weren’t as good as casts as all the others had, do we penalize her? I just I see her as what she is, a wonderful basketball player with a skill set like Diana. And to me she’s the target or GOAT if you wish.

Reaction Score
You stated my beliefs better than I could. Any time in a UCONN player discussion, it always come down to Stewart's 4 NC in 4 years. Since that accomplishment can only be tied, no future player can ever be considered "better".
I think there could be a player (in theoretical discussion) that could win 4 NCs and be considered better than Stewie. It would be a tall task, but it is technically possible. Also, a lot of people consider DT or Maya the greatest and they didn't win 4 NCs. I don't think NCs are the only thing people take into consideration, but is it certainly something that's taken into consideration.

Reaction Score
Again, No one asked about the GOAT. They asked how she compares to the greats. She as a basketball player, when wearing the Husky uni most definitely is one of the best basketball players to hit the floor for the women. Because she got hurt, and the players around her weren’t as good as casts as all the others had, do we penalize her? I just I see her as what she is, a wonderful basketball player with a skill set like Diana. And to me she’s the target or GOAT if you wish.
Yes, I agreed that if we're only going off her stats line, she is one of the best. She compares very well to the greats, but she is still not one of the greats. Since, in my opinion, being "one of the greats" means winning at least one NC. People in the thread mentioned Paige won FPOY and that sort of measuring stick means it's fair game to discuss other accomplishments (or lack thereof).

Reaction Score
Yes, I agreed that if we're only going off her stats line, she is one of the best. She compares very well to the greats, but she is still not one of the greats. Since, in my opinion, being "one of the greats" means winning at least one NC. People in the thread mentioned Paige won FPOY and that sort of measuring stick means it's fair game to discuss other accomplishments (or lack thereof).

I respect your opinion and the way you view things. But it’s impossible to say she’s not one of the greats because when she laces them up she absolutely is. Her numbers when healthy speak for themselves. And there’s no big ladies in the middle like all the others had to create space for her, her best shooter to create space is always injured in Fudd. She’s on her island and is still great. Anyone you will compare from the past I promise you I will add players who helped makes their lives easier on the court.

It’s an opinion board, I get it and respect your thought process!

Reaction Score
Because I’m often left with a lot of free time in the summer — the life of a college prof in the sunset years — I’ve watched a lot of replays and thought about this team compared to the great UConn teams of the past. Here’s what I see:

They were all explosive and dominated more than the Paige-led teams have done. The Stewie teams may have been the best for ball movement, especially the last two seasons. And the Gabby-led teams were like this too. They were like lightning in transition. The Lobo-Rizotti teams were also quick, but grit may have been their hallmark. Same for the Sue-Swin teams. They just didn’t take no for an answer. I think the team motto “Just tape it up and go” really reflected this.

Diana’s teams were great mainly because of Diana. Same for Maya. In this respect they felt like Paige’s first two teams. They had really good athletes, sent players on to the W. But Diana or Maya or Paige stood head and shoulders above the team.

Paige’s freshman year team had athletes as goood as any other team, maybe better. But take Paige out of the equation and they floundered. Aari McDonald was able to do exactly this in the final four and they had no other answers.

The sophomore year team looked to be even more loaded with athletes until the injury bug hit. Even so, a hobbled Paige was able to return in March and lead them to the NC game. That was a heroic effort and not just against NC St. In hindsight, she probably should have taken longer for rehab and not returned until the following fall. Just in terms of character alone, that NC run Paige engineered was as great as anything any Husky has ever done.

The next season, the team was great even without Paige, super dynamic, with the ferocity that “the next woman up” — Nika — brought to them. Aaliyah Dorka and Lou had career seasons. But without Paige or Azzi or Caroline healthy in the end they were fatally flawed by a too thin backcourt. It’s a shame, because that roster, even without Paige, if the rest had been healthy would have torched the rest of the tournament field, including LSU SC Iowa Va Tech tOSU, had they been healthy. That’s the magnitude of of what they lost to injury.

And this season, the losses to injury are equally devastating. This time it’s the frontcourt that’s taken the brunt of it, though losing Azzi and Caroline again is mind numbing. We’ve gone from a clear #1 seed and #1 or 2 ranking to barely scraping into the top-10. We’re all hoping just to get a #2 seed now. But Paige is playing better than ever, and she may not have knocked all the rust off even now. And she’s teaching the next generation what greatness is right before our eyes. It’s hard to overstate how incredible this experience must be for Ash and KK in particular.

How far can Paige’s magic carry the team this season? Elite Eight looks very possible. Final four may be a long shot unless the seeding is favorable and a couple breaks go their way — and this isn’t a year when fate seems disposed to favor UConn. But however far they go, it will be primarily due to Paige and her magic.

None of us will be comfortable putting Paige on Mt Rushmore for anything less than an NC. But we really ought to honor her achievements, stunted as they have been so far by a cruel and malign destiny. She absolutely belongs in the same stratosphere as Diana and Maya and Sue.

Reaction Score
Before this season, I would have said Breanna was the best women's bb player I've seen. Watching a clearly not 100% recovered Paige this season, I'm saying Paige is top of the list. How many on that impressive list in the original post were POY their freshman year?
Paige has shown she can carry a team, carry a game by herself. She has NOT lived up to the hype or potential. No final 4's no NC's. --injuries and lack of a decent sized post hampered her NC/FF collection.
She IS NOT the player of her Freshman (good times) year. Mentally, she is great--Physically ?? That fragile thin body has taken too many impacts. I'd hate to be her at age 65---a fact hidden from the public--is every bump or burse returns to haunt us. Those knees shall ache, that head bump --hmm?--is the price paid at 65 worth the cheers at 20? Save some, stock some, NIL. Be prepared for age 30

Reaction Score
Kaleena had the "Lewis Launch." Who else had a shot with a name?

K was 1 FT in her sophomore and senior seasons from shooting 50/40/90 twice!
And to think--without her "invested" STEP DAD--she may not have been the KML we all loved.

Reaction Score
Paige has shown she can carry a team, carry a game by herself. She has NOT lived up to the hype or potential. No final 4's no NC's.
Paige has made it to 2 FFs and even won one ...

Reaction Score
And individuals can carry teams.
They can help, you can call it carry if you wish, but with 5 on the floor it’s not one doing it all that’s for sure. You need championship players by your side.

Reaction Score
Paige has shown she can carry a team, carry a game by herself. She has NOT lived up to the hype or potential. No final 4's no NC's. --injuries and lack of a decent sized post hampered her NC/FF collection.
She IS NOT the player of her Freshman (good times) year. Mentally, she is great--Physically ?? That fragile thin body has taken too many impacts. I'd hate to be her at age 65---a fact hidden from the public--is every bump or burse returns to haunt us. Those knees shall ache, that head bump --hmm?--is the price paid at 65 worth the cheers at 20? Save some, stock some, NIL. Be prepared for age 30
UConn did make final fours her freshman and sophomore year (if I’m not mistaken). They haven’t won a championship with her… yet. Paige is playing out of her mind this year, above and beyond her freshman year. I think she’s a smart and savvy enough person to be prepared financially for the future. That has nothing to do with this year’s performance. Some people take care of the bumps and bruises, some not so much. Paige is in phenomenal shape.

Reaction Score
After the Notre Dame complete dismantling on our home court, it's time to update this thread Boneyarders.

At the hands of a freshman guard and a tight, excellently executed offense and defense, it is obvious that Paige as well-rounded and skillful a player she is, she can be almost completely taken out of a game against a team with a pressing defense. Everyone can have a bad game but this is something that needs to be taken into consideration.

Reaction Score
Before this season, I would have said Breanna was the best women's bb player I've seen. Watching a clearly not 100% recovered Paige this season, I'm saying Paige is top of the list. How many on that impressive list in the original post were POY their freshman year?
How can you even compare a player who led her team to four National Championships to any other player, especially one who has never led her team to one.

Reaction Score
After the Notre Dame complete dismantling on our home court, it's time to update this thread Boneyarders.

At the hands of a freshman guard and a tight, excellently executed offense and defense, it is obvious that Paige as well-rounded and skillful a player she is, she can be almost completely taken out of a game against a team with a pressing defense. Everyone can have a bad game but this is something that needs to be taken into consideration.

Of course she can. The other team knows she’s the only one who can beat them if they play well. Throw everyone off the ball at her and let someone else beat you. Pretty simple when you don’t have other AAs on your team right? I mean is Nika gonna beat you? No one big enough to play inside out either I mean whole different world than those you’d like to compare her to. Add to it very little special offense run to get her open. No need to update anything, just surround her with better players and pieces like the others had. Pretty simple it didn’t change yesterday.

Reaction Score
Maya Moore the best but really tough to compare them. How can you argue with anyone who says Brianna was the best with 4 NC’s or DT with 3. Watching Paige I think she’s in that class but if you go by total games played she’s really never had a full season. Total # of games she’s like a sophomore.

Reaction Score
I respect your opinion and the way you view things. But it’s impossible to say she’s not one of the greats because when she laces them up she absolutely is. Her numbers when healthy speak for themselves. And there’s no big ladies in the middle like all the others had to create space for her, her best shooter to create space is always injured in Fudd. She’s on her island and is still great. Anyone you will compare from the past I promise you I will add players who helped makes their lives easier on the court.

It’s an opinion board, I get it and respect your thought process!

Paige is on an island?

ONO, Christyn, and Evina were drafted by WNBA teams. Paige played with them one season.

Edwards was an All American last season and good chance she is an AA this season. Nika shattered the UConn single season assists record. Nika might end up #1, 2, or 3 for UConn career assists. Paige is playing with them this season.

If Paige were healthy last season, she would have played with Dorka and LLS. Both were drafted in the WNBA first round. Edwards will be drafted in the WNBA first round in April. Would you have still claimed Paige was on her island?

Asking for a friend.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom