Breanna Stewart 152 17.6 7.8 53.0% 35.3% 79.7%
Napheesa Collier 150 16.0 8.1 61.3 % 33.7% 77.3%
Rebecca Lobo 126 16.9 10.1 49.8% 33.8% 69.5%
Tina Charles 152 15.4 9.0 61.0% 0% 63.7%
K. Masqueda-Lewis 142 15.3 5.3 48.6% 44.7% 87.4%
Sue Bird 118 11.7 2.8 48.1% 45.9% 89.2%

Paige Bueckers 64 18.5 4.6 53.8% 45.0% 81.9%

Reaction Score
Before this season, I would have said Breanna was the best women's bb player I've seen. Watching a clearly not 100% recovered Paige this season, I'm saying Paige is top of the list. How many on that impressive list in the original post were POY their freshman year?

PvP

Reaction Score
Before this season, I would have said Breanna was the best women's bb player I've seen. Watching a clearly not 100% recovered Paige this season, I'm saying Paige is top of the list. How many on that impressive list in the original post were POY their freshman year?
Of course we know that Paige was the ONLY POY as a Freshman so in that regard she is unique not only to all the UCONN greats but to every woman to ever play college basketball. But beyond that, her numbers over all I believe are the best. It can be argued that she has had the weakest supporting cast among all Huskie greats but that can be seen as a double edged sword--in one way, the others had to (or got to) share the stats with other great players and thus has lower averages; on the other hand, because Paige's teammates were weaker, opponents could more easily double team her reducing her stats. But I think any impartial observer would agree that Paige could easily have much higher stats if she wasn't always looking to facilitate her teammates' involvement.

So my vote goes to the lady from Hopkins!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Of course we know that Paige was the ONLY POY as a Freshman so in that regard she is unique not only to all the UCONN greats but to every woman to ever play college basketball. But beyond that, her numbers over all I believe are the best. It can be argued that she has had the weakest supporting cast among all Husky greats but that can be seen as a double edged sword--in one way, the others had to (or got to) share the stats with other great players and thus has lower averages; on the other hand, because Paige's teammates were weaker, opponents could more easily double team her reducing her stats. But I think any impartial observer would agree that Paige could easily have much higher stats if she wasn't always looking to facilitate her teammates' involvement.

So my vote goes to the lady from Hopkins!
Well, Stewie did win MOP of the Final Four as a freshman, a first for that award in decades. She also won 4 NCAA championships.

We UConn fans have been blessed - Sue, Diana, Tina, Maya, Breanna, Paige…and so many others.

666C7335-3E56-4198-9223-075A4062B18D.jpeg

Reaction Score
IF Paige didn't get hurt and played the total amount of games she had available to her, I believe Paige would have been at the top of the list in every category. In her freshman year she as at the top of the list in every category except rebounds and would have gotten even better. By this time this year Paige would have been on the brink of being the tops in all scoring related categories. Truly a colossal shame her injuries happened. As it is, Paige will leave her mark and since she is coming back for one more year( her NC year ring) she will be in the top 10 of most categories. GO PAIGE!!! GO FRESHMEN!!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!

Reaction Score
Paige hasn't done enough to warrant being mentioned in the Diana/Maya/Stewie club. The latter three have nine national championships between them. Maya and Stewie are the #1 and #4 all-time scorers. Paige might have a NPOY under her belt as a freshman, but Stewie has some NPOYs too, plus four Final Four MOPs to go along with it. The resume Stewie put together will never be matched by Paige.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Best players include multiple AA and/or POY winners Bascom, Rizzotti, Wolters, Abrosimova, Jefferson and Samuelson. Maybe Cash? Sales? At the least the POY players should be considered among the best.

Jefferson’s percentages in particular might challenge Bueckers.

Reaction Score
Two things. She is so smooth and makes it look so effortless like Maya. I am also super impressed with how she just morphs herself into the 4 position seemingly overnight. Get rebounds? Sure. Get blocks? Sure. Keep facilitating and make shots from anywhere? Sure. Become a trapping defensive guard? Sure. I don't think we've fully seen that before with the UConn greats.

Geno always talks about positionless bball and I thought Stewie was the best example we'd ever see but I think Paige takes it to even another level.

Reaction Score
College Stats for our Best Players at UCONN:

Name: Games PTs Avg. Reb. FG% 3PFG% FT%
Diana Taurasi 111 16.2 4.9 47.5% 39.4% 80.9%
Maya Moore 154 19.7 8.3 52.5% 40.4% 79.8%

Katie Lou Samuelson 140... 16.8... 4.5... 49.1%... 41.6%... 84.7%

Reaction Score
I've never been a fan of GOAT discussions. Different players in different eras, different teams, different positions, and with different strong suits can't really be compared apples to apples. This applies to UConn basketball. The question posed by my2cents however isn't who is GOAT but whether Paige belongs among the best of the best Huskies which is a much better question.

The short answer is yes. With no hesitation yes. The test isn't stat related, although the truly great put up good stats. The real test comes from just watching the players. Players that even casual fans can watch and realize they are better than almost everyone. I don't need DT's stats to know how great she was. Just watch her play and it is obvious. Same with Brianna, Maya and that other small handful of UConn players that were dominant players.

We've seen a disappointingly small number of Paige games. But enough to know she isn't just good or very good. You watch her play and know she belongs with the elite few. Aren't we lucky to be able to see her do her thing? Soon enough she'll be an alum and it could be a good while before another pantheon player comes along. Enjoy it while you can.

Reaction Score
As a guard, only Diana matches up. They both make everyone around them much better.
Paige has the edge on defense. Diana might have the edge on the crunch time basket in big games, but that remains to be seen.
Paige has not had as many big game opportunities at this point.
Sue Bird was great, but didn't have as good a three or "ups" as good as Paige.

Reaction Score
I've never been a fan of GOAT discussions. Different players in different eras, different teams, different positions, and with different strong suits can't really be compared apples to apples. This applies to UConn basketball. The question posed by my2cents however isn't who is GOAT but whether Paige belongs among the best of the best Huskies which is a much better question.

The short answer is yes. With no hesitation yes. The test isn't stat related, although the truly great put up good stats. The real test comes from just watching the players. Players that even casual fans can watch and realize they are better than almost everyone. I don't need DT's stats to know how great she was. Just watch her play and it is obvious. Same with Brianna, Maya and that other small handful of UConn players that were dominant players.

We've seen a disappointingly small number of Paige games. But enough to know she isn't just good or very good. You watch her play and know she belongs with the elite few. Aren't we lucky to be able to see her do her thing? Soon enough she'll be an alum and it could be a good while before another pantheon player comes along. Enjoy it while you can.
I was not making a judgement about who the best "Player" was, but IMO Paige is the Best shooter we have ever had. With a fair discussion how you determine that.

Reaction Score
Positionless basketball isn’t totally accurate. Not everyone is capable of doing everything as well as some others. I see it more as unselfish basketball, where passing becomes something everyone can do, and most do. There will still be some that are relied on as scorers. I’ve felt that freshman year Paige was as close to a combo of Sue and Dee as we’ve ever seen. That’s rarified air, but she can’t do things that Stewie could. And Stewie can’t do everything Paige can do. I’m in the thankful group that they’ve all been Huskies.

Reaction Score
As a guard, only Diana matches up. They both make everyone around them much better.
Paige has the edge on defense. Diana might have the edge on the crunch time basket in big games, but that remains to be seen.
If everyone was in their prime, with the clock running down, and I'm down by 1 point, the person I'd want with the ball in her hands is DT. Are there better shooters? Yeah, an argument can be made that there are. However no one was better in a crunch to win a game than DT. Oh, by the way, she is the leading scorer in the next league.

Reaction Score
If you measure just the level of player, then it seems to me Paige might be on the Uconn Mount Rushmore with Stewie, Maya, and Diana. In terms of legacy and other milestones she is not yet close. Those other three have more than one championship, one reason I think Paige will return to try to capture one. Not just these three, but almost all Uconn greats have a championship on their resume. It is a glaring omission on Paige's list of accomplishments while in college.

Other legacy accomplishments could come in time, but remember Stewie, Maya and Diana, not to mention several others also have Olympic Gold Medals, WNBA championships, multiple All Star appearances, and Diana as the career WNBA points leader, and Sue Bird as the same in assists.

I think Paige can achieve many of those things in the future, if she can stay healthy after she leaves Uconn, but the legacy bar for Uconn greats is about as high as it can get, and a national championship is generally part of it.

Judging her just as a player in college, I fully believe she could be part of the discussion of best ever with Stewie, Maya, and Diana, and a ton of exceptional talent just below those four.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Paige and DT have a great and similar trait that they can turn it on whenever they want and take over a game whenever they want. Paige and DTs last two seasons showed about their basketball knowledge, and their dedication to make teammates better for the good of the team. DTs understanding of what the team needed in her last two years brought UConn two NCs that they had no business winning. This year, Paige is doing the same, being aggressive when the team needs it, but playing the typical point guard to guide her freshmen teammates to the understanding of UConn basketball that encompasses how the program works and shows them what it means to play UConn basketball. They are both great players, and now Paige shows that she can also, like DT, be a great teacher on the court.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well to this point, Bueckers has a career 45.0%. Bird ended up with a 45.9%.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
?
Career three point FG% for Sue 45.9%
Career three point FG% for Paige 44.4%

Reaction Score
College Stats for our Best Players at UCONN:

Name: Games PTs Avg. Reb. FG% 3PFG% FT%
Diana Taurasi 111 16.2 4.9 47.5% 39.4% 80.9%
Maya Moore 154 19.7 8.3 52.5% 40.4% 79.8%

It is very difficult to compare from even 10 years ago with so many really good female ball players out there. When those others played they either had a lot of greats around them or played before the game really took off. To me Diana was the first player of her talent level to play the game and she is responsible for a lot of what you see today. Breanna physically is a difficult player to defend and really gets a lot out of her game. But to me I think Paige is the most complete BB player to ever play the game. She is very smart and anticipates the ball like no other in the game.

I really would take it one step further and say she is the best player to ever play. She has had a couple physical setbacks but she can do Paige so efficiently that she gives you 15-20 points a game and only shoots 13-15 times on a busy night. She is an excellent passer and creates passing angles in her natural flow. She isn't as flashy as some other players but if I had a WNBA team that had some talent I would choose her, if I had an average team and I needed to fill seats I would take CC.

Reaction Score
?
Career three point FG% for Sue 45.9%
Career three point FG% for Paige 44.4%
The site I used had Paige at 45% for 3p%.
From Uconn's site
'21 64/138
'22 18/51
'24 39/80

Total 121/269 .4498

My mistake was not including Nykesha Sales.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr