How confident are you at this time of year versus previous years | Page 3 | The Boneyard

How confident are you at this time of year versus previous years

How does your mood compare most closely to August 27 in previous years?

• As confident as August 27 2003/2009/2013

Votes: 53 64.6%
  • As cautiously optimistic as August 27, 1994/2001/2012

Votes: 23 28.0%
  • Hopeful but fearing for the worst, as with August 27 2002

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • As pessimistic as you were on August 27 2004

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Thanks to Dawgs Bite, I watched last season's early Stanford game.
It was a most informative experience in many ways and may relate to this year's prospects.

Stewie wasn't the same Stewie then that she is now; hanging around on the outside, taking and missing some long-range shots,
committed some early fouls and sat more than she played. She is so more effective now getting a ton of easy buckets inside.

Moriah, likewise had a difficult night.
This was the game that Stanford didn't guard her and she freaked.
And Stef wasn't much of a force, offensively and of course there was KML's injury in a game
where she also hadn't figured out how effective she could be, close to the basket.

So how did UConn win by almost 20?
WIth the score 2-2 for an eternity; Saniya hit a couple.
Made some neat passes too.
Bria took over
Kiah came in, blocked, rebounded, and scored
and Morgan also was tough on both ends, especially in the 2nd half.

And Stanford had no answers

looking at our prospects now, Moriah is unlikely to have many such games
Stewie certainly won't, she has figured out the path to lots of easy buckets.
KML will be KML.
Kiah will have many such games. And Morgan if healthy will as well.

That leaves the 4 frosh + Saniya to equal last season's Bria + Saniya
Verdict: Almost.

And since everyone else is weakened; we should be in fine shape to roll.

But: I expect Stanford to be actually better w/o Ogumike.
More of their dead-eye shooters forced to step up.
They will compete vigorously…but to no avail.
As will they all.

Reaction Score
Folks who constantly bring up the absence of Shea and Sveta as an excuse for the 2001
semifinal loss to Notre Dame perhaps have forgotten that UConn, with Shea and Sveta
both healthy and playing, received a 16 point thrashing at South Bend earlier in the year
during the regular season.

UConn lost that semifinal game because the team (not just Diana) went into a horrific
shooting slump that turned a double digit halftime lead into a double digit loss.

How does something like that happen? What happens when the best hitter on your team
goes into a three week hitting slump . . . or the ace of your pitching staff suddenly can't find
the strike zone?

If I had the answer to those questions . . . .

Reaction Score
At this time one year ago, I thought that UCONN had the number one team in the country and that Notre Dame had the number two. I feel the same way this year.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Folks who constantly bring up the absence of Shea and Sveta as an excuse for the 2001
semifinal loss to Notre Dame perhaps have forgotten that UConn, with Shea and Sveta
both healthy and playing, received a 16 point thrashing at South Bend earlier in the year

UConn lost that semifinal game because the team (not just Diana) went into a horrific
shooting slump that turned a double digit halftime lead into a double digit loss.

How does something like that happen? What happens when the best hitter on your team
goes into a three week hitting slump . . . or the ace of your pitching staff suddenly can't find
the strike zone?

Thank you for your accurate recollection. As difficult as it may be to recall those stunning losses, it sets the record straight and should silence those with selective amnesia.

Yet another reminder that games (and matches) must be played and victory earned was the astonishing defeat today of Venus Williams to a younger Italian player she had beaten like a drum many times before. But not today, even with a 5-3 lead in what should have been a "serve-out" final set. Nobody is invincible.

Reaction Score
ed4ourgirls- -

the strike zone?

ed- - On a GENO's LEGACY show on SNY this past season, Sue Bird was the guest and about 1/2 way through the show Geno asks Sue if she still was mad at him for his temper tantrum over a 3point shot by Alicia Ratay right at the buzzer taking an 18 point lead to 15 at 1/2 time of the 2001 FF semi-final game vs ND. He went on to say he entered the locker room and threw a chair across the room and went nuts for the whole 1/2 time, and the team came out shell-shocked and preceded to blow the lead and lost to ND! He said it was his worst moment in coaching! She said no, They'd seen him act stupid before and that as bad as that was the team still should have played better than they did! Both were visibly shaken by the discussion!
I don't think too many people know of that incident!

Reaction Score
Though UCONN lost earlier in the season to ND by 16 or so points WITH Svet & Shea I don't think UCONN in the FF was going to lose to them again! Different mind-set. See my post above for little known incident that may have turned the game as well as Shea & Svet's injuries!

Reaction Score
Well, except Vince Papale.
I think Geno is a lot like Vince ..................................................................................................................................................................Lombardi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom