How confident are you at this time of year versus previous years | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How confident are you at this time of year versus previous years

How does your mood compare most closely to August 27 in previous years?

• As confident as August 27 2003/2009/2013

Votes: 53 64.6%
  • As cautiously optimistic as August 27, 1994/2001/2012

Votes: 23 28.0%
  • Hopeful but fearing for the worst, as with August 27 2002

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • As pessimistic as you were on August 27 2004

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Let's take a poll and talk about the subject in a way to get folks even more excited about the upcoming season.

Imagine it's August 27 in any year between 1994 and 2013. The UConn WBB season was making its way to opening night. Maybe the anticipation was killing you. Maybe you had questions. Maybe you were nervous and excited.

Conversely, although you were happy the season was going to get there eventually, maybe you were simply expecting to watch another UConn national championship season- not out of entitlement, mind you, but out of reasonable expectations.

With the advantage of 20/20 hindsight, I can think of several likely modes of thought. Like my latter scenario, you might be supremely confident right now, just as you were on August 27 2003, 2009, or 2013. In each year, the team's best player was returning, along with a core of other players who'd been the nucleus of the previous season's NC.

You might also be cautiously optimistic, just as you were August 27 1994, 2001, or 2012. In each case, there was a lot to get excited about (30-3 season/#1 seed/ Elite Eight finish, starting five from the 2001 tourney set in stone/surely Diana would make a leap as a sophomore, adding the amazing 2012 recruiting class to a team that made the national semis), but in each case, there was cause for concern (An NC was unchartered territory, the 2000-01 season had left a bit of a bad taste and was losing two of the program's all-time greats, Baylor had gone 40-0 in 2012 with the unique and seemingly unbeatable Brittney Griner).

Alternatively, as in August 27, 2003, you might be hopeful but bracing for the worst. With the TASS Force graduating, how could UConn absorb those losses and contend for an NC? There was reason to be hopeful (D was a WBCA AA and returning, Ashley Battle and Maria Conlon were fine bench players from the previous season, Annie Strother was a #1 ranked high school player, etc.), but that hope couldn't compensate for the concern about the losses of TASS.

Finally, you might just be one of those contrarian folks who worries about everything and thinks every upcoming season has 2004-05 written all over it. If one of my poll choices includes this as an option (and it does), there will always be a rapscallion or three who select it. :)

In short, how does your mood compare to this time of year in seasons past? Voting is above!

I could answer this thread as I did a half dozen others.
With a healthy Morgan my confidence is sky high.

G

genosguy

Let's take a poll and talk about the subject in a way to get folks even more excited about the upcoming season.

Imagine it's August 27 in any year between 1994 and 2013. The UConn WBB season was making its way to opening night. Maybe the anticipation was killing you. Maybe you had questions. Maybe you were nervous and excited.

Conversely, although you were happy the season was going to get there eventually, maybe you were simply expecting to watch another UConn national championship season- not out of entitlement, mind you, but out of reasonable expectations.

With the advantage of 20/20 hindsight, I can think of several likely modes of thought. Like my latter scenario, you might be supremely confident right now, just as you were on August 27 2003, 2009, or 2013. In each year, the team's best player was returning, along with a core of other players who'd been the nucleus of the previous season's NC.

You might also be cautiously optimistic, just as you were August 27 1994, 2001, or 2012. In each case, there was a lot to get excited about (30-3 season/#1 seed/ Elite Eight finish, starting five from the 2001 tourney set in stone/surely Diana would make a leap as a sophomore, adding the amazing 2012 recruiting class to a team that made the national semis), but in each case, there was cause for concern (An NC was unchartered territory, the 2000-01 season had left a bit of a bad taste and was losing two of the program's all-time greats, Baylor had gone 40-0 in 2012 with the unique and seemingly unbeatable Brittney Griner).

Alternatively, as in August 27, 2003, you might be hopeful but bracing for the worst. With the TASS Force graduating, how could UConn absorb those losses and contend for an NC? There was reason to be hopeful (D was a WBCA AA and returning, Ashley Battle and Maria Conlon were fine bench players from the previous season, Annie Strother was a #1 ranked high school player, etc.), but that hope couldn't compensate for the concern about the losses of TASS.

Finally, you might just be one of those contrarian folks who worries about everything and thinks every upcoming season has 2004-05 written all over it. If one of my poll choices includes this as an option (and it does), there will always be a rapscallion or three who select it. :)

In short, how does your mood compare to this time of year in seasons past? Voting is above!
Remember the year after the Victory Parade, Geno speaking on the Capitol Steps said the infamous words "well be doing this next year" or some thing akin to that. And Uconn didn't win the NC. I think that was Notre Dames year. 2002?
With all that talent how could Uconn lose? Easy put too much pressure on your Freshman star.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Remember the year after the Victory Parade, Geno speaking on the Capitol Steps said the infamous words "well be doing this next year" or some thing akin to that. And Uconn didn't win the NC. I think that was Notre Dames year. 2002?
With all that talent how could Uconn lose? Easy put too much pressure on your Freshman star.
It was 2001. And they didn't lose because there was too much pressure on Diana. Try having two All-Americans go down right before the tournament.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I will be stunned if UCONN does not roll to an undefeated season next year. Barring a serious injury to Jefferson/Stewart, I just don't see anybody being close to UCONN's level. Last year UCONN was 20-25 points better than just about everybody in the nation. Despite losing Dolson/Hartley, UCONN still has significantly more talent than anyone else returning. I'm more confident that UCONN will win a championship this season than I've been any season prior.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Bottom line, whether it was August 27 1994, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2009, 2012, or 2013, you might have had- with good reason- the gamut of thoughts/feelings in anticipation of the season...and whatever you thought/felt and why, you were about to experience a national championship season for UConn WBB.

Pretty cool, huh?

Reaction Score
IMHO we will be a better team this year than last. The question is how would you prove it if we go 40 and 0. Perhaps one way to measure is our performance against Top 10 teams( one could argue that stats against other teams are meaningless). We averaged 18.1 margin of victory against top 10s last year and i suspect that number will be higher this year.

Reaction Score
I like our chances, too, but the glass generally is half empty fr me, so I was not completely confident. Besides, I think we should beware the mojo.

Reaction Score
Just a tad less confident than last year at this time, but if Tuck and Williams are healthy (especially Tuck) and the injury bug gets sprayed with a can of Raid........it is over for the rest of hopefuls.

Reaction Score
WesternPaFan- - - The difference between Baylor's meltdown with L'ville and something similar happening to UCONN this season or ever with UCONN is Geno Auriemma! He will not let the players or the coaching staff look beyond the next game or practice! Kim Mulkey had already made the Final 4 in her mind and was planning for who Baylor would face in the FF! She did not consider L'ville a threat, so she didn't prepare her players as usual, the results were being humilated by Walz and L'ville and not even making the FF!
You will never see that happen to UCONN under Geno! He is scared to death of how the next play will be run let alone thinking 2 or 3 steps down the road! He always says he is afraid all this success is a dream and he'll wake up and it'll be gone!

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
WesternPaFan- - - The difference between Baylor's meltdown with L'ville and something similar happening to UCONN this season or ever with UCONN is Geno Auriemma! He will not let the players or the coaching staff look beyond the next game or practice! Kim Mulkey had already made the Final 4 in her mind and was planning for who Baylor would face in the FF! She did not consider L'ville a threat, so she didn't prepare her players as usual, the results were being humilated by Walz and L'ville and not even making the FF!
You will never see that happen to UCONN under Geno! He is scared to death of how the next play will be run let alone thinking 2 or 3 steps down the road! He always says he is afraid all this success is a dream and he'll wake up and it'll be gone!

I do think Geno is a better coach than Mulkey, and that Baylor didn't give Louisville much respect/attention which is why they didn't finish the game....but Louisville also played freakishly well. For a team that shot 32% from 3pt land on the season to nail 16/25 three pointers is ridiculous. I'd imagine that any team (including UCONN) would have a difficult time overcoming such an unusually great shooting display.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

You conveniently forgot that Duke game! The one that Foley won with a buzzer-beater! Cuz Geno didn't call a time out from the bench after Diana nailed what should hve been the game winner!

Or the more recent game lost to St. John's!

And there are others! Especially in recent years vs. Notre Dame! And that doesn't even include the game when a great team (Sue, Swin, etc.) blew a big lead while Diana fired blanks!

--it happens!

And, just for good measure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Last season we have Tuck and KML go down at the tuffest part of our schedule. We won every game and most of them on the road. That turned all the doubters into believers. UConn is for real. This season many of the to top teams have lost key players and ar rebuilding, UConn continues to reload. I dont see any real competition for UConn this season. If we a somebody out for a couple of games I am still confident. If we have key players out for the season it will be a little tuffer. Dont forget we averaged beating everybody by double digets and they have to overcome that this season without key players. South Carolina may be the second best team in WCBB and I dont see them coming close to UConn. The FF will be UConn and everybody else.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I'm extremely concerned and here's why:
Every summer the Boneyard has had bunches of proclamations about how such and such a freshman was going to be starting and and and. Well we only have 4 freshmen this year and that doesn't make a full team. How can we possibly succeed?
I understand your concern. I also understand what that says about me. And I'm ok with that. :cool:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I will be stunned if UCONN does not roll to an undefeated season next year. Barring a serious injury to Jefferson/Stewart, I just don't see anybody being close to UCONN's level. Last year UCONN was 20-25 points better than just about everybody in the nation. Despite losing Dolson/Hartley, UCONN still has significantly more talent than anyone else returning. I'm more confident that UCONN will win a championship this season than I've been any season prior.
I know you are just trying to pull the old anti-mojo thing here (won't work though). BUT, even though I'm one of the most negative people I know (I'm not a glass half full or glass half empty guy, I'm more a glass lying shattered on the floor guy), this (above) is pretty much how I feel this year.

I would be stunned if UCONN didn't win a NC this year. I'd be surprised if they didn't go undefeated. Granted there could always be injuries that could derail, but they would probably have to be in the season ending variety for Stewart, KML or Jefferson. And even then we might be able to pull off a NC if it happened to only one of them. If those 3 are healthy and playing well, it won't really matter who else is on the floor with them. They'll win.

The year after, UCONN will probably be even better. However, 2015-2016, the competition will be better too. This year, not so much.

Reaction Score
This year's team has a ton of talent and with a healthy Tuck has the chance to be great. My question, not a concern yet, is how the team chemistry evolves. Last year's team had great chemistry and a very calming influence by Stef. Her happy go lucky demeanor helped keep everyone's nerves under control, especially in big games. That leadership allowed Stewie and Mo Jeff not worry about having to carry the team.

U

UCONNfan1

This year's team has a ton of talent and with a healthy Tuck has the chance to be great. My question, not a concern yet, is how the team chemistry evolves. Last year's team had great chemistry and a very calming influence by Stef. Her happy go lucky demeanor helped keep everyone's nerves under control, especially in big games. That leadership allowed Stewie and Mo Jeff not worry about having to carry the team.
Chemistry is always a question mark, but one thing I was very impressed about when I found out a few years back is what Geno does with recruits before they are offered.

They come to campus and hang out with the team. After several days and their visit is complete, he talks with the team and asks them for their opinion before offering the player. I'm sure it doesn't always happen that way, but my understanding is that there have been times in the past where the current players have vetoed a recruit after meeting them. My brother and I found this out when we got a chance to meet Geno years ago during his recruitment of Charde Houston.

Reaction Score
meyers7- - Welcome to the club, I don't even own a glass to be 1/2 empty/full.

kibitzer- - - No I haven't forgotten about Duke, or St. John's, Geno is on target 95% of the time! And the FF loss to ND, but that was because of Svet & Shea (2 AA's) being hurt and the team now had to start and depend on DT for mucho points, where with the 2 injured girls DT comes off the bench!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BACK AT YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bballnut90- - - Yes L'ville shot insane, but Geno usually takes away the best scorer, and their defense is so much better than Baylor's that I don't think L'ville would have ever got off the snide from the opening whistle!

The key for each season is UCONN's defense. No-one sells out on D as UCONN does for the full 40 minutes! They may have comparable players but the D swings the games UCONN's way eventually!

If UCONN stays injury/illness free no-one will be close to 20-25 points! And this is from someone that searches for negatives to every event!

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
All of this optimism is only making me more nervous.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I'm confident as long as everyone stays healthy. I know the four freshmen [didn't there used to be a musical group by that name???] are excellent but they are still freshmen. Experience matters come tournament time.

Reaction Score
Not better offensively, you have the 2 best offensive players in college basketball in KML, and Stewie. You add in a healthy Morgan Tuck, a healthy KML, improving Stewie, and Moriah, the offense will be better higher percentage shots.

Reaction Score
I have felt this confident five times, 01, 02, 09, 10 and 13. Four times out of five we went undefeated. The other time injuries and Ruth Riley intervened. If you want to extrapolate an 80% chance of going undefeated, that's not crazy, maybe more like 70%. Odds of a NC have to be more like 85% or so.

Reaction Score
I could care less of circumstances with Baylor...But point was made....Any team is beatable....just as any player is beatable....you hope for the best always,but you never never ever know 100%...some day a bubble will burst..you only hope later rather than sooner....I am for UCONN but I also understand what can go wrong and I never know. I realize,that in sports as in life the unpredictable can happen and at times will happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom