How can Nurse be so fantastic in the olympics & play so poorly offensively at UConn??? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How can Nurse be so fantastic in the olympics & play so poorly offensively at UConn???

Status
Not open for further replies.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
1. She took 12 shots. Maybe two were forced. I think that is a good number. I get more concerned when she passes up open shots. She tends to force things when she penetrates. Crystal Dangerfield is going to get so much attention in the lane that Kia will be open on the wing. If she gets a little more arc on her shot, those in and out threes go in.

2. She played 38 minutes. At any point last night did anyone think, "get her out"? I didn't. She does so many other things well that a shooting slump can be tolerated.

3. One of the above posters said she is playing out of position. She is playing 2. What position would you like her? She does not look comfortable to me at point. 2 is where she belongs.

4. I still think, even though nobody would ever say this (especially Kia), that the schedule is getting the best of her. She went from NCAA to Olympics with a brief break and then fall workouts. She also recovered from a sports hernia. She MIGHT simply be tired.

5. Long-term the team needs her to score but short term the team has two very good wins when she didn't. I am willing to wait.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Different team and a very different game between international ball and US college ball.
Kia is fine and has been a very important member of the Uconn team the last two years - but her responsibilities on the Uconn team are very different from those on the Canadian national team. The transition from one team to the other and from international play to college play has not been easy for her - last year or this year. And especially this year with so many moving parts she has had a little identity crisis as well. It will get worked out in the next month and she will return to being the hard nosed defender and integral part of our offense that she has been in the last two championship seasons.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
People here have mentioned Nurse's stellar defense and her toughness. I will also add that she is very clearly the emotional leader and glue of this team. The team's interactions on the court during every dead ball make this abundantly clear. Geno has also talked about how she does many good things that don't manifest on the stat sheet.

Reaction Score
Kia is invaluable to this team. That said she reminds me of Don Chaney, a Boston Celtic player from the past. He was also a 2 guard who played a superior and physical style of defense. I think if she is playing with a point guard with strong offensive skills like we hope Dangerfield can provide it will bring out the best in her. Kia provides intense leadership and toughness that will help Crystal develop. It is not by accident that she rarely leaves the floor!

Reaction Score
In the olympics, Kia Nurse is absolutely incredible! But at UConn she looks so terrible offensively. Notice that I did specify offensively because she is a really really good defender. That part of her game is "A-/A".

Nonetheless, her offense leaves so much to be desired.

What in the world is going on with Kia Nurse?

Kia Nurse (UConn) = Kia Nurse (Team Canada) ??? Will the ever be equal?
I disagree with your conclusion. Kia gives it her all every game. She is a key component to UCONN'S success the past two years. Remember Kelly Farris? She was not an offensive powerhouse, but she asserted herself more offensively in her senior year. She was key defensively her entire four years and without her stifling defence a banner or two would not be hanging from the rafters. Same with Kia. Kia is hot offensively some games and lukewarm in others. She is her own worst critic. Geno has told her to lighten up a little on herself. To compare Kia CANADA to Kia UCONN is an insult to Kia. It implies her allegiance lies elsewhere. Kia has a specific part to play in Canada and another at UCONN. Three seniors graduated and different players have to redefine themselves.

Reaction Score
Kia plays with the pressure of being an idol in Canada, being an athlete in a family of great athletes, and playing for UConn in the midst of 80+ game win streak. Think about yourself being in her position for a minute. I think she's doing pretty well.

The only negative I have about Kia is I think she has played way too much basketball in the last 3 years. With her Canadian obligations, it seems like she plays high stakes basketball almost year around. At some point, your game just gets stale. It happens to the best.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Like the tedious thread about Kyla and Molly, it is based on an attention-getting but disingenuous premise: that Kia has been "so fantastic in the olympics" for Canada yet "play so poorly offensively for UConn."

The quality of Kia's play for Canada has not qualified for the "fantastic" descriptor nor has her offense at UConn been "poor."

A little OP hyperbole is certain to generate a high volume of long, meandering, and speculative traffic here on the BY.

Next game: December 19. Who will start? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In the olympics, Kia Nurse is absolutely incredible! But at UConn she looks so terrible offensively. Notice that I did specify offensively because she is a really really good defender. That part of her game is "A-/A".

Nonetheless, her offense leaves so much to be desired.

What in the world is going on with Kia Nurse?

Kia Nurse (UConn) = Kia Nurse (Team Canada) ??? Will the ever be equal?

Opinions are just that opinions---and worth the air they are written on. You are entitled to yours.
Kia --is a 3 point threat--she has a habit of dropping one at the exact right time--her defense is good and physical--she is a vocal
leader, along with Gabby, and at times Katie Lou, she had never had to put up 30 points in any Uconn game she did have to do that for Canada. She's a hockey player--plays hard, rough and knows her role--in the Pan Am/Olympics it was for her to score or the team goes home--hey guys get on my back and I'll bring you home (kia). Would I like her to score more--sure--does she have to, not much. Just my poor emotional opinion of a great kid!!

Reaction Score
Kia is exactly what UConn needs her to be....a lock down defender, a 100% hustle player who can play for nearly 40 minutes a game, and an emotional and experienced leader.

I came into the season thinking Kia would need to up her offense for UConn to succeed. I now understand Kia's value is not in scoring but in all the intangibles. UConn is currently ranked #1 having beaten pre-season favorites like Baylor and ND and they would not be in that position without Kia. Not doubt Kia could be putting up bigger offensive numbers but that is not what UConn needs to play its best team basketball.

There are plenty of players on other programs like Tennessee who will put up much larger numbers but will never taste the success that Kia has.....Kia is a true team player and her contribution should not be underestimated. Stats don't always paint an accurate picture.... Kia is a winner whose value can't be quantified on a stat line.

Reaction Score
Kia is exactly what UConn needs her to be....a lock down defender, a 100% hustle player who can play for nearly 40 minutes a game, and an emotional and experienced leader.

I came into the season thinking Kia would need to up her offense for UConn to succeed. I now understand Kia's value is not in scoring but in all the intangibles. UConn is currently ranked #1 having beaten pre-season favorites like Baylor and ND and they would not be in that position without Kia. Not doubt Kia could be putting up bigger offensive numbers but that is not what UConn needs to play its best team basketball.

There are plenty of players on other programs like Tennessee who will put up much larger numbers but will never taste the success that Kia has.....Kia is a true team player and her contribution should not be underestimated. Stats don't always paint an accurate picture.... Kia is a winner whose value can't be quantified on a stat line.
I agree and would add: substitute Kelly Faris everywhere you used Kia and it still will be spot on!

Reaction Score
The answer is simple: Kia's role on the CNT and Kia's role at UConn are two completely different things. Geno's said it, Kia's said it, I'm pretty sure Stewie said something about it when they all came back to school after the Pan-Am games.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Boy, I thought this thread had died a deserved death weeks ago, but it has risen back from the dead to cast its pall over this break in action.
Love Kia and what she brings to the team. Full stop.
I completely agree. When the thread started after the first few games, when Kia was unable to hit the ocean, there was some reason for it, although even then it was hyperbole. Since then, however, the facts on the ground have changed: she is shooting 41% from 3 (or so I heard on the last broadcast) and averaging double-digit points per game. So she is by no means an offensive liability.

I don't know why the thread was resurrected, but it is certainly well out of date.

Reaction Score
Kia is a good player. But, has nobody else noticed that she refuses to pass the ball to KLS unless absolutely forced to do so? You could count on one hand the number of times Kia has passed to KLS when she's in a position to score. Oh, and that includes this year and last year combined.

Kia obviously has a serious problem with Lou. To me the reason seems obvious. If you watch them on the court, Kia rarely (if ever) acknowledges KLS in any way. In addition to the lack of passing, Kia also never sets a pick or screen for Lou, and yet KLS does this for Kia regularly.

This team has the potential for greatness. It would be a lot easily to achieve if everyone on the team were playing for each other.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
The quality of Kia's play for Canada has not qualified for the "fantastic" descriptor nor has her offense at UConn been "poor."

Finally, someone else noticed.

I didn't want to be "that guy" before as a visiting fan...but Kia shot 25% from the field at the olympics.

To me, the silliest thing about this thread was that it is completely built from a false premise. Kia had one great game at the Olympics (25 pts on 7-11 FG vs. Serbia) and otherwise had a rough go of it. Totally understandable for a college kid playing against pros!

People have a tendency to idealize the past and compare it to their pessimistic view of the present, I guess.

Reaction Score
Kia is a litmus test for how one views both the "science" of the game and UConn's fortunes, which is maybe why this thread doesn't die. To be insultingly reductive:

Type 1 folks who root mainly for a win have short loyalties for players who seem to miss a lot of shots.
Type 2 folks who root mainly for great basketball focus as much/more on the intangibles (a point Gabby raised after the ND game).

Kia has bad shooting nights, great shooting nights, and (most often) okay shooting nights, and type 1 folks respond to her accordingly.
Kia will nearly always play superb defense and a great all-round floor game, so type 2 folks will be really happy mostly, only concerned if her shooting is so poor that it threatens the outcome.

Whether we're type 1, type 2, or type 1a, b, or c, know this: next year, when UConn has more talent than it can possibility accommodate in a 40 minute game with only 1 basketball, Kia will still start and get most minutes as the 2 guard. 'Cause in the end, only 1 person's opinion matters, and we know what he thinks of her.

Reaction Score
Like the tedious thread about Kyla and Molly, it is based on an attention-getting but disingenuous premise: that Kia has been "so fantastic in the olympics" for Canada yet "play so poorly offensively for UConn."

A little OP hyperbole is certain to generate a high volume of long, meandering, and speculative traffic here on the BY.

Next game: December 19. Who will start? :rolleyes:
Thanks for this post Kib.

Why Kia's play generates such over-the-top opinions is mystifying.

Reaction Score
Kia is a good player. But, has nobody else noticed that she refuses to pass the ball to KLS unless absolutely forced to do so? You could count on one hand the number of times Kia has passed to KLS when she's in a position to score. Oh, and that includes this year and last year combined.

Kia obviously has a serious problem with Lou. To me the reason seems obvious. If you watch them on the court, Kia rarely (if ever) acknowledges KLS in any way. In addition to the lack of passing, Kia also never sets a pick or screen for Lou, and yet KLS does this for Kia regularly.

This team has the potential for greatness. It would be a lot easily to achieve if everyone on the team were playing for each other.
Kia Nurse with the steal and Katie Lou Samuelson drains a three-pointer. - ESPN Video Kind of hard to believe that Geno would allow the type of non team oriented play you have described to go on for over a year, but maybe he doesn't see it the same way you do.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score

In the two years Kia and Lou have played together they're 48-0. I have no idea what you're referring to by saying she "refuses to pass the ball to KLS unless absolutely forced to do so." Suggesting that Kia not playing in support of her teammates is disparaging, provocative, and (imho) totally wrong.

Before you enter into what smells like attack mode against this terrific player you'd best assemble some accurate info and present it in an objective way. I want Kia Nurse on the floor with Katie Lou Samuelson all week long and twice on Sunday. I like 48-0.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

That is incredibly stupid and easily disproved.

Reaction Score
EP-160109507.jpg&MaxW=960&q=75

Wow! Kia doesn't have a hand on Lou to help her up? She must have a serious problem with her! How could Geno allow this problem to persist for so long? Kia is certainly not the team player she's hailed to be! :rolleyes:

Please. Lou said last season, on multiple occasions if I remember correctly, that Kia helped her considerably with relaxing and being comfortable on the court. Critique Kia's play until you're blue, I suppose. But don't come trolling and critiquing her character and insinuate that she has a problem with one of her teammates - it's uncalled for, and it's rude as all get out. Kia probably cares about that team more than anyone else and is the very definition of an unselfish, team player. If you listen to her talk about the team for even a few seconds, it's obvious that she has a love for her team and a heart of pure gold. She has as much of a problem with Lou as she has with Gabby :rolleyes:

JS

Reaction Score
Boy, I thought this thread had died a deserved death weeks ago, but it has risen back from the dead to cast its pall over this break in action.

The thread was resurrected by a well-intentioned poster who wanted to disagree with the OP's month-old hit on Kia.

kill-bill-hand-grave.jpg

Speak of the Devil and he doth appear.

Now we have someone saying a player is continually doing what Geno wouldn't tolerate for a second. The responses are predictably caustic and beginning to pile on.

Speaking of piling on, here's a new saying: What doth get exhumed doth rightly get re-humed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom