How can Nurse be so fantastic in the olympics & play so poorly offensively at UConn??? | The Boneyard

How can Nurse be so fantastic in the olympics & play so poorly offensively at UConn???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In the olympics, Kia Nurse is absolutely incredible! But at UConn she looks so terrible offensively. Notice that I did specify offensively because she is a really really good defender. That part of her game is "A-/A".

Nonetheless, her offense leaves so much to be desired.

What in the world is going on with Kia Nurse?

Kia Nurse (UConn) = Kia Nurse (Team Canada) ??? Will the ever be equal?

Reaction Score
Yes she looks horrible on the offensive end. She would not even be considered to play on team USA. She is a great defender though which is why she is a starter.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
My take so far is that two things are limiting Nurse's output so far, compared to last year:

1. In the half court, she is not seeing the same kinds of lanes and openings that she's used to seeing when Stewie, Mo and Morgan were on the court. Teams are keeping her honest. Kia is a good but not great ballhandler so when defenses are playing a more balanced 5-on-5, it's harder for her to find spaces since she is not as creative as Mo or Crystal with the ball, or as fast (who is?).

2. We don't control the defensive glass as well as we did the last couple of years, so our transition game is not what it was. Kia thrives in transition and I think it gets her going in other areas. Having said that, I thought we did a really good job rebounding against the Baylor timber last night. Very impressed. Butler was improved but Collier really stood out, IMO.

It might also be that teams are paying a bit more attention to the scouting report on Kia, re: her tendency to go to the rim, since they don't have to worry about the scout on our 3 departed seniors.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I suspect that as Crystal Dangerfield get more time at the point Kia's numbers will increase. My sense is that Kia puts too much pressure on herself at UConn and that leaves her thinking rather than just being in flow of the game.

JMHO

Reaction Score
Lets cut her a break...she's been asked to take on more of a leadership role and share point responsibilities , which is not her natural position. A reminder that she had 6 assists and only one turnover against BU which is probably exactly what the coaching staff wants from her. . Yes, she had a tough game shooting but so what. Happens to everyone. Keep in mind she played more minutes than anyone else. So Geno and crew understands her value.

Reaction Score
My take so far is that two things are limiting Nurse's output so far, compared to last year:

1. In the half court, she is not seeing the same kinds of lanes and openings that she's used to seeing when Stewie, Mo and Morgan were on the court. Teams are keeping her honest. Kia is a good but not great ballhandler so when defenses are playing a more balanced 5-on-5, it's harder for her to find spaces since she is not as creative as Mo or Crystal with the ball, or as fast (who is?).

2. We don't control the defensive glass as well as we did the last couple of years, so our transition game is not what it was. Kia thrives in transition and I think it gets her going in other areas. Having said that, I thought we did a really good job rebounding against the Baylor timber last night. Very impressed. Butler was improved but Collier really stood out, IMO.

It might also be that teams are paying a bit more attention to the scouting report on Kia, re: her tendency to go to the rim, since they don't have to worry about the scout on our 3 departed seniors.
I would agree- and what was really valuable last night was her defense. She's a bright player being coached by the best. She'll grow a lot this year, and I'm going to enjoy watching her.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
1) She playing out of position.
2) Olympic and FIBA much more physical than NCAA-better for Kia. Don't forget Moriah Jefferson walked away from last meeting with Kia with an L and a concussion
3) Already been touched on she probably type a personality and puts too much pressure on herself.

She'll be fine.

HGN

Reaction Score
Ladies and Gentlemen.........Please. This is just the SECOND game. And already people are talking negative. Kia could be just learning how to play with 3 new starters. So cut her some slack. Its not like she has been playing with the same lineup for 2-3 yrs. When Stewie , Mo , and Morgan were here they played together their entire career and had become a well-oiled machine. This machine is just getting started up. And like any new machine starting for the first time it runs a little rough at first. They may lose a few games along the way , but they will win their share............So please , give it time.

Geez , what a spoiled group. :confused:

Reaction Score
I was wondering about her last night. I think it's just a huge adjustment for her. last year, people were focusing on the top 3 players which left her open a lot. She has to work harder for the shot. It will come. She is a great player.

Reaction Score
Kia brings excellent defense and great intensity and toughness to UConn. Her offensive game is still under construction. When she is a third or fourth offensive option she can be a very nice piece. We don't yet know her offensive role on this team -- it may again be the third or fourth option with KLS, Collier, and Gabby or Dangerfield taking the lead in any given game.

In the Olympics she averaged 11 points a game (including 3 against the U.S. team). She was good but no offensive juggernaut. If a team is quick to her outside shot and rotates on her drives to the basket she can have a difficult time. I suspect her offensive repertoire will develop this year.

We are only two games in. Let's give her time. She will find her role and grove and be a very important part of this team.

Reaction Score
Very simple. Do y'all remember what Geno said about Kia last year? If not, I'll refresh your memory. He said: "Kia is always open." Seems, of the five defenders 3 would guard Stewie, 2 would guard Mo and 2 would guard Morgan. That didn't leave many to guard Kia so she scored a lot of open shots around the perimeter.
Not so this year.

Similar situation for KLS too.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score

Yeah, I think you are right. I think she will adjust as the season goes on. I thought there was a big improvement in the Baylor game compared to her game at Florida State.

Reaction Score

We all know the defensive prowess, bad-ass attitude, leadership and all-around effort that Kia brings every single day. The offence usually runs much more smoothly when she is on the floor, regardless of whether she's scoring. These things make her an invaluable member of this team.

I really like VAMike23's analysis of the specific challenges Kia has faced so far this year. The pattern in her last few games, and in Canada's last game in Rio, is that Kia can really struggle with control on her shots and on her drives to the hoop, including finishing layups. She rushes. She seems unable to obtain the level of focus needed in these most uptempo of moments, a level that's generally there for the rest of her game.

So what I'm starting to believe for this year, and yes it's still early, is that Kia may play a role very similar to the one she played last year. And that's an extremely valuable role that guarantees her a place in the starting lineup. But it may be others who step up. She did not have a sophomore leap and she's not likely to have a leap unless and until she can successfully address this weaknesses. I'm pulling for her, because I know she wants to get to the next level. As a fellow Canadian, she's my favorite player on our team and I'd love to see her on the wall!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Somehow I believe that in a week or two, we'll see a thread about Kia that goes something like this:

"Kia's dramatic turnaround" or "What's gotten into Kia offensively?" Etc.

Its too soon!!

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
My impression watching the Baylor game live (I haven't yet viewed the recording of it, but I intend to) is that Kia was taking very good, high-percentage, open shots against Baylor and they simply weren't dropping. That happens. I did not think her shot selection was bad at all. Whether it is early season nerves, a new role, or just the roll of the dice (which I consider the most likely of the three possibilities), the shooting percentages did not work out for her against Baylor.

If she continues to play the same game and take the same shots, the floodgates will open before long. See KLS 2015-16.

By the way, I see that Lou was 2-3 on threes against Baylor, but scored 15 points. That's an excellent indication of offensive diversification. Her first shot made the game 4-2 Baylor, after the first few possessions made it look like a Baylor blowout might be coming. Even though it was early in the game and most people have probably forgotten it, that was a pressure shot.

Reaction Score
My impression watching the Baylor game live (I haven't yet viewed the recording of it, but I intend to) is that Kia was taking very good, high-percentage, open shots against Baylor and they simply weren't dropping. That happens. I did not think her shot selection was bad at all. Whether it is early season nerves, a new role, or just the roll of the dice (which I consider the most likely of the three possibilities), the shooting percentages did not work out for her against Baylor.

If she continues to play the same game and take the same shots, the floodgates will open before long. See KLS 2015-16.

By the way, I see that Lou was 2-3 on threes against Baylor, but scored 15 points. That's an excellent indication of offensive diversification. Her first shot made the game 4-2 Baylor, after the first few possessions made it look like a Baylor blowout might be coming. Even though it was early in the game and most people have probably forgotten it, that was a pressure shot.

Two of her 3's went "in-and-out."

Reaction Score
I suspect that as Crystal Dangerfield get more time at the point Kia's numbers will increase. My sense is that Kia puts too much pressure on herself at UConn and that leaves her thinking rather than just being in flow of the game.

JMHO

Ding ding ding we got a winner! Nurse is a natural 2 guard, and with Dangerfield getting more minutes at the point, it should open up Nurse to have more of an offensive impact on the game. With that being said, I also think she is pressing a little bit right now and her jump shot is a little off. Nurse, much like Hartley was, is shooting the ball the best when her shot has some arc to it. Right now her shot is a little flat but that is easily fixed with a little gym time.

Reaction Score
Very simple. Do y'all remember what Geno said about Kia last year? If not, I'll refresh your memory. He said: "Kia is always open." Seems, of the five defenders 3 would guard Stewie, 2 would guard Mo and 2 would guard Morgan. That didn't leave many to guard Kia so she scored a lot of open shots around the perimeter.
Not so this year.

I thought it was illegal for the defense to play 7.

Reaction Score
She just needs to clean up her 'J'.

She's had a ton of open looks in these 1st two games, but has yet to find consistency with her shot. When it comes to a shooter shooting, it's about mechanics, rhythm and ultimately................confidence.

Reaction Score
Not so this year.

I never thought Kia Nurse showed herself to be a really good offensive player. She's adequate and has had her moments but she has never been and never will be the go to type person. As has been mentioned, in the international game where they allow players to be more physical, she's better but for anyone to expect her to be anything more than okay, prepare to be disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom