Houston's Kelvin Sampson was named the AP Coach of the Year. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Houston's Kelvin Sampson was named the AP Coach of the Year.

Reaction Score
It's ridiculous. NOBODY and I mean NOBODY -- not John Wooden, not Coach K, not Geno -- has ever come close to winning back-to-back titles after losing 3 starters and 58% of the team's scoring. It's an absolutely amazing accomplishment. Sampson's team had a very good year and I have a lot of respect for his ability and accomplishments. But give me a g0ddamn break!!!
(Actually, Geno did it between 2002 and 2003 while losing 4 top-6 WNBA draft picks and returning Diana Taurasi and a bunch of role players.)

That said, this is absurd. When the season is over, nobody is going to remember Sampson and Houston. This is the Jimmer Fredette thing all over again.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
It's ridiculous. NOBODY and I mean NOBODY -- not John Wooden, not Coach K, not Geno -- has ever come close to winning back-to-back titles after losing 3 starters and 58% of the team's scoring. It's an absolutely amazing accomplishment. Sampson's team had a very good year and I have a lot of respect for his ability and accomplishments. But give me a g0ddamn break!!!
Actually, Auriemma won back to back after losing 4 out of 5 starters, including three Olympians, and having to the start two freshmen. The one returning player was Taurasi.

Reaction Score
No he isn't. Not this year with what Hurley did. After the players he lost.
Houston lost 3 starters as well. They also jumped to a much tougher league and won it in their first year. Hurley lost by two votes, it's not like he was completely ignored

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Absurd. If I’m in a Husky uniform, my adrenaline just spiked for the rest of the weekend (and Monday).

IMG_7762.gif

Reaction Score
IDGAF. But if it adds fuel to the fire, as is this coaching staffs want, I am good.

Reaction Score
#disrepsect

Sampson's a hell of a coach. Would have liked to see Hurley win it but Sampson is certainly worthy.
If he would coach better offense rather than just having his players try to simply beat the crap out of their opponents he might be more successful in the post season

Reaction Score
Like everyone saying. How do u lose 3 guys to the nba and get right back to the final four with a chance at a repeat for first time in 20 years and u not get it? Insane. Just more ammo

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
(Actually, Geno did it between 2002 and 2003 while losing 4 top-6 WNBA draft picks and returning Diana Taurasi and a bunch of role players.)

That said, this is absurd. When the season is over, nobody is going to remember Sampson and Houston. This is the Jimmer Fredette thing all over again.

Yeah, I remember now -- the Bird/Cash team.

But he had Diana Taurasi! Apples and oranges! :)

Reaction Score
Why hate on little ole ct? Weird. Powers that be must really hate Calhoun and Hurley or the fact that we have no P5 football. Weird

Reaction Score
I bet Hurley would rather be playing the Final Four than have any award you could give him.

Sampson can enjoy his accolade from his couch instead of the sideline.
Of course but we're always getting screwed out of awards. This, Calhoun only winning 1 COY, Jameer Nelson over Okafor, Jimmer and friggin' Ben Hansborough over Kemba, Devin Carter over Tristen.

Basically anything that's voted on we get screwed, when things are decided between the lines we win.

Reaction Score
Complete BS, but I'll take another FF appearance and (hopefully) natty over some lame AP trophy. And I'm sure Danny would as well.

Reaction Score
Houston lost 3 starters as well. They also jumped to a much tougher league and won it in their first year. Hurley lost by two votes, it's not like he was completely ignored
CONFERENCERECORDWIN PCT%
ACC12-4.750
Atlantic 102-2.500
American0-2.000
Big 127-7.500
Big East8-2.800
Big Ten9-5.643
Mountain West4-6.400
Pac-126-4.600
SEC8-7.533
West Coast2-2.500
It seems the logical answer is when the vote was taken.

As to your point about the Big 12 being a much tougher league, I guess it is compared to the AAC. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score

Hopefully the NCAAT ends the same way it did in 2011 when the Jimmer Fredette thing occurred.

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
Hurley is evolving the game right before our eyes & everybody knows it. Was this voted on before the tournament was it voted on before the conference tournaments or after? No one has done more to earn this IMO.
If he finishes this off with another title he is pretty much guaranteed to be inducted into the BB hall of fame & he isn't worthy of COY, Please.

Reaction Score
Hurley's actual coaching job is better than Sampson's. We have the best chemistry of any team by a large margin. We have excellent ball movement and NBA style shot chart offensively. And our D is darn good too. Seems like they overlooked the biggest part of the award - which team actually PLAYS like they are the most finely coached.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom