Houston's Kelvin Sampson was named the AP Coach of the Year. | The Boneyard

Houston's Kelvin Sampson was named the AP Coach of the Year.

Reaction Score
I respect the hell out of the job Kelvin has done in rebuilding the Houston program to be a perennial title contender. Having said, I don't really have a problem with him getting the award on an "angry level", but IMO Hurley should have gotten it.

Reaction Score
Lol total clown show
My thoughts exactly....why because Sampson coached in the vaunted big12 with zero final 4 teams & played NOBODY in non-conf....a joke.

Kelvin Sampson, Houston 23
Dan Hurley, Connecticut 21
Lamont Paris, South Carolina 8
T.J. Otzelberger, Iowa State 4
Danny Sprinkle, Utah State 4
Kyle Smith, Washington State 1
Will Wade, McNeese State 1

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The same media guys that vote for the top 25. I assume he lost because his personality rubs some folks the wrong way (probably some other parts of the country).
Hmm, do they post who voted for whom?

Reaction Score
The AP voted on this before the tournament. At that point, it was a fair tossup. Both teams lost a lot from very good teams and then won their leagues and got 1 seeds.

Houston/Sampson got the edge for changing to a tougher league and having one of their recently graduated players die in the offseason and having to deal with that.

CBS voted more recently and gave it to Hurley, making the tiebreak getting to the final four.

Reaction Score
The AP voted on this before the tournament. At that point, it was a fair tossup. Both teams lost a lot from good teams and then won their leagues and got 1 seeds.

Houston/Sampson got the edge for changing to a tougher league and having one of their recently graduated players die in the offseason and having to deal with that.
I was wondering if it was before the tournament. Makes it a bit more bearable. Houston did lose to Iowa St by 30 before the tournament though…

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

nw16k1yuqsy11.jpg

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
It's ridiculous. NOBODY and I mean NOBODY -- not John Wooden, not Coach K, not Geno -- has ever come close to winning back-to-back titles after losing 3 starters and 58% of the team's scoring. It's an absolutely amazing accomplishment. Sampson's team had a very good year and I have a lot of respect for his ability and accomplishments. But give me a g0ddamn break!!!

Reaction Score
The AP voted on this before the tournament. At that point, it was a fair tossup. Both teams lost a lot from very good teams and then won their leagues and got 1 seeds.

CBS voted more recently and gave it to Hurley, making the tiebreak getting to the final four.
Did they vote on it before the conference tournament when Houston lost by 700 while #1 UConn cruised to a Big East tournament title? Nobody thought Houston was going to win it all heading into the NCAA's, everyone was picking UConn.

Kelvin friggin Sampson has two AP COY, Calhoun has one, and K has zero.

Reaction Score
This is a joke. If he doesnt win this in a year where theyre picked 3rd preseason in the league, lose 3 NBA guys, lose 5 of top 8 rotational pieces, bring in 5 freshmen, replace 3 starters, and go on to set BE record for wins, #1 overall seed, destroy teams all season, he will never win it. It's a disgrace and hope it fires up the players as much as it fires up the fans

I dont know how he could have had a better season coaching

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom