Houston's Kelvin Sampson was named the AP Coach of the Year. | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Houston's Kelvin Sampson was named the AP Coach of the Year.

Reaction Score
The same people saying essentially these two, contradictory things.

"The NCAA screwed us by putting Iowa State in our bracket. They should be a 1 seed!"​
"Sampson shouldn't be COY! The B12 was overrated and he got killed by an Iowa State team that beat nobody!"​
The point is that they believe Iowa State is a great team and they put them in the same bracket as the #1 overall seed. The committee put 3 top 10 teams in same bracket as UConn. They are - in fact - trying to screw UConn.

Just because UConn cannot be screwed by the committee doesn't mean they weren't trying.

Not voting Dan Hurley as the coach of the year also isn't going to make a difference tomorrow night. It doesn't mean that there isn't some kind of media agenda against UConn or Dan Hurley.

Personally I don't care about Coach of the Year. I just find it laughable. I know that Hurley is the best coach in college basketball.

Reaction Score
Jimmer over Kemba lol boy that one didn’t play well.
I wouldn't change that for anything. I will always maintain the thought that this made Kemba even more hyper-motivated and made him go bionic in the BET and the NCAAT resulting in a championship.

Hopefully the COY snubs and any other snubs have the same effect and result in UConn winning it all this year.

Reaction Score
He did, but what he did is legal and standard practice now so it's a bit misleading
Yeah but you could say that now about pretty much every coach who got caught up in the past. They can do whatever they want now.

Sampson's problem was he got caught and was severely punished for it then he turned around and did the exact same thing at his new job.

Reaction Score
Personally I don't care about Coach of the Year. I just find it laughable. I know that Hurley is the best coach in college basketball.
I thought everyone knew that. That's certainly what I hear when I talk to other fans and listen to everyone who gets paid to cover the sport.

Reaction Score
All we want are Titles!!This other stuff is just frosting.

Reaction Score

I guess you couldn't ask for a better reverse mojo than denying the best coach in college basketball his just due.

When he lifts the trophy, this is what happens when you ...

Reaction Score
Jimmer over Kemba lol boy that one didn’t play well.
That same year Ben Hansbrough won Big East Player of the Year over Kemba. That was probably worse than losing National Player of the Year to Jimmer. Kemba made those voters look like chumps when he ran off 11 in a row.

Reaction Score
#disrepsect

Sampson's a hell of a coach. Would have liked to see Hurley win it but Sampson is certainly worthy.
I dont think youll find anyone here that would claim Sampson is unworthy there was just someone more worthy but we all know whats going on.

Reaction Score
NCAA sucks ass. I'm watching women play. Holy hell those refs suck worse than big east refs. It's a joke.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Sampson deserves it but DH can achieve the goal he set - back to back. I would take the NC and K Sampson would rather have that also. Two very very good coaches.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Scared Famous GIF by VH1

Yeah, but what we will do to those in our way will be strictly business.....

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Some people saying arguably these two, contradictory things.

"The NCAA screwed us by putting Iowa State in our bracket. They should be a 1 seed!"

"Sampson shouldn't be COY! The B12 was overrated and he got killed by an Iowa State team that beat nobody!"​

To be clear, I think Hurley should have won. I also think Sampson is a great coach, and they* overcame a lot this year.

Recommended edits have been made above. Thanks, as always, for the opportunity to serve.

I don't know who these people are (btw, I think that would be helpful to readers for a number of reasons we could discuss), and I don't know if they're currently making the first claim (which might warrant some verb tense shifts).

I'm leaving your quoted characterizations undisturbed, only toning down what you labeled "essentially" to a more supportable "arguably."

I don't see anything oppositional in declaring Sampson a great coach who met a number of challenges in crafting a successful season, so I eliminated "but" as the contraction that best links consideration of both coaches. Your disposition on Hurley affected my decision here. It seems clear that your more important point of emphasis is that you are 'essentially' (note single quotation marks as an indication of lighthearted ribbing) right, and the "same people" are wrong, or at least more so by comparative degrees.

As a personal preference, I don't think the emphasis belongs with Sampson/Houston's "overcoming," which more surely would have applied if the in-game loss of Shead hadn't resulted in Houston's Sweet 16 loss.

Still, I've kept it as written because there were (I believe) 2 pre-season roster losses and another in-season player loss that may reasonably have capped Houston's ceiling. I recognize these circumstances as being comparable to what Geno Auriemma has to deal with this year, and have sympathy on that matter. Then again, Geno's coaching performance this year didn't rise to his consideration as a CotY finalist. For some, that's apples & oranges (or maybe better,some body parts that would survive the p-filter), but it's a not-unexpectable observation that a fan of both UConn programs could make, even if it's not relevant to what you've written. In other words, this paragraph has reflected some collegially offered personal opinion differences rather than any suggested edits to improve expression of your chosen point of view, which has been my mission here.

* I wasn't sure what to do here, because you had used the pronoun "he" earlier in your post, but I wanted to retain the possibility that "they/them/their" are Kelvin Sampson's chosen pronouns. If that's not the case, then "he" should apply, OR otherwise "his team overcame."

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
They are - in fact - trying to screw UConn.

In light of what I posted toward @tzzandrew, it would be unfair for me not to comment here, after seeing your post in passing before pivoting off this thread.

"They are" is clearly present tense, being used with something clearly in the past (the NCAA seeding of Iowa State).

" - in fact - " challenges me to consider if it's a fact. Why else would you stress the term otherwise?

"trying to screw UConn" is presented as a conclusive determination regarding a combination of some verifiable facts, questionable appearances, contextual interpretations, and plausible suppositions. I don't see any argument that succeeds in claiming it as fact. I'd say that if I found strong favor with your feelings, but I'll steer fully clear from saying how much I do or do not.

Feelings, thoughts, impressions, and opinions are not facts in and of themselves.

Reaction Score
Hurley's on an all-time roll. Probably would have given him the nod over Sampson given the conference tournament results, but it's a very subjective award that could be interpreted in a number of ways. I don't buy that the sideline antics contribute. He's actually pretty reeled in compared to what he used to be.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom