Houston Nutt | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Houston Nutt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There have been rumors, and they are actually more than just rumors, that UCONN and the B10 have been talking recently behind the scenes. Now you have to figure that Lembo knows that, and is indeed considering UCONN.

If you can prove you don't live in West Virginia then I am all ears.

Reaction Score
I'm guessing that the high school coach that Houston Nutt talked to was most defnitely Jack Cochran. Who else would you call if you want to know CT high school football?

Reaction Score
Metsfan, I too am against a "used car salesman" type. Disingenuous doesn't work in the northeast. The media recognizes it immediately and eats it alive. But the new coach has to both win and sell the UCONN dream.

I think all of us need to realize where the UCONN FB program is in the national perception. We were once a plucky little rising program that was knocking off Big 10 and Big 12 teams, beating ND in South Bend and South Carolina smack dab in the middle of the confederacy. Then we qualified for a BCS game and the media immediately took us from "rising program" to "unworthy team representing every thing that's wrong with the BCS." The media, including Leno and Letterman (CT resident), had decided we were to be screwed, and it did. Since losing the BCS game, we have gone ten and twenty-one (if my arithmetic is correct), become the "worst BCS Program" doing nothing to change the perception attached to us by the BCS fiasco. That, is where we are.

That is what the Athletic Department and new coach have to overcome. In the end, this is all about media perception. The new coach has to win. That's number one. But he also has to be perceived as being User Friendly from day-one. He also has to have the gravitas necessary to convince the media that UCONN is for real. I'll say it again. He has to believably sell the UCONN FB dream.

Reaction Score
I'm guessing that the high school coach that Houston Nutt talked to was most defnitely Jack Cochran. Who else would you call if you want to know CT high school football?

Burton would not point him to Cochran. My educated guess is he spoke to Albonizio or Marinelli

Reaction Score
Metsfan, I too am against a "used car salesman" type. Disingenuous doesn't work in the northeast. The media recognizes it immediately and eats it alive.

Nutt is not well respected for someone who has a decent record. I keep seeing references to selling cars.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Same message as last year.....no talent. Was wrong then and wrong now, but to a lesser degree.

Who said that about last year's team? I definitely remember conversation about a lack of offensive talent and that was true last year as it is moreso this year. The coaching was a train wreck, just awful, but it's not like the talent is there to win 8 games.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
If not for anything - there won't be many people that aren't aware we are looking, it's all over today (especially in the South):

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/31/houston-nutt-eyeing-a-coaching-return-at-uconn/

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/10/former_ole_miss_coach_houston.html

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/10/31/5050142/houston-nutt-uconn-football#194303289 (comments are great and disturbing @ same time).

EMsStTE
9:28am via Web
UCONN: MAKE. IT. HAPPEN.blog.ctnews.com/hssports/2013/…pic.twitter.com/IYNNBotnFs

View attachment 4088

Adding another site's link to Nutt to UCONN: http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...24165846/is-houston-nutt-a-candidate-at-uconn

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
It's crazy that all these media outlets are running off of the small bit that he spoke to a CT High School coach. Then again, I spent my fair share of time on the CR board so I guess this shouldn't surprise me seeing how we all take every tiny morsel of nothingness and turn it into our B1G or ACC invite....I love the internet!

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I agree with that. I am being objective because I am looking at his coaching record objectively, rather than subjectively saying "he won with another guy's recruits". Is Hugh Freeze now just winning with Houston Nutt's recruits?

Houston Nutt's issue is consistency. He has always been a coach that has 2 bad seasons building up to a really good one or two. He won 9 or more games at Arkansas 5 times and won 9 games at Ole Miss twice.

I disagree. Hugh Freeze is winning with a number of first and second year players on the team. Without him coming in most of those players would be playing elsewhere and Ole Miss would be just another lousy team instead of a solid team

Reaction Score
A six-page thread on Houston Nutt. Perfect storm of 0-7 and bye week. Yikes.

As I believe Mr. Serrano said, no retreads please. Mr. Nutt would be well-advised to pursue an offensive coordinator gig. Also must be nice to have all the buyout money to not have to work the past three years.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Nutt or not, the best parts of his purported interest are publicizing UCONN's important search and connecting the search with an out-of-the-box, welll-known name. Nutt never needs to be hired, but free publicity is free.

Exactly. One unintended consequence (from the media attention this is bringing) is that a candidate who a week ago wouldn't consider us if approached may now take a bit of time to look at our program, research our school, our fan base and project our potential solely because if someone like Houston Nutt is interested, we may actually be worth looking into.

Reaction Score
Who said that about last year's team? I definitely remember conversation about a lack of offensive talent and that was true last year as it is moreso this year. The coaching was a train wreck, just awful, but it's not like the talent is there to win 8 games.

Dez

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
A six-page thread on Houston Nutt. Perfect storm of 0-7 and bye week. Yikes.

As I believe Mr. Serrano said, no retreads please. Mr. Nutt would be well-advised to pursue an offensive coordinator gig. Also must be nice to have all the buyout money to not have to work the past three years.

Would you rather us talk about the same dismal topics we discuss over and over again regarding our team? I for one am enjoying a break from the same threads in regards to that depressing topic. Nutt or not, this thread is at least interesting and not depressing.

Reaction Score
Would you rather us talk about the same dismal topics we discuss over and over again regarding our team? I for one am enjoying a break from the same threads in regards to that depressing topic. Nutt or not, this thread is at least interesting and not depressing.

First I think there should be a temporary separate board to discuss the coaching search. That said, agreed that candidates should be discussed and vetted as names come up here.

And all that said, if Houston Nutt was hired, I think we'd be getting the Southern-fried version of P.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Well, if I inherited a car and then wrecked it I may be able to state that on some level I inherited a car wreck. Granted I would be stretching the truth quite a bit by not pointing out that the car and the wreck were not joined until after the inheritance.

Reaction Score
We would be lucky to get Nutt. I'd rather have him than an untested coordinator. Could you find the next Saban on the sidelines coaching at some other school waiting for his chance at the head job? Sure, maybe.

I'm not saying he is the right man for the job, I don't know, but he has one heck of a resume. Three time SEC coach of the year. Won the SEC west three times,was calling the plays and beating Alabama and LSU.

Recruited so well the SEC had to come up with the Nutt rule.

Hopefully the powers that be make the right choice,but Nutt should be considered and accorded a little more respect.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
We would be lucky to get Nutt. I'd rather have him than an untested coordinator. Could you find the next Saban on the sidelines coaching at some other school waiting for his chance at the head job? Sure, maybe.

I'm not saying he is the right man for the job, I don't know, but he has one heck of a resume. Three time SEC coach of the year. Won the SEC west three times,was calling the plays and beating Alabama and LSU.

Recruited so well the SEC had to come up with the Nutt rule.

Hopefully the powers that be make the right choice,but Nutt should be considered and accorded a little more respect.

Thanks for the input Mrs. Nutt;)

Reaction Score
Don't mention it. He's so tough to live with when he gets anonymously trashed on the internet.

Cute. They have the interwebs at Arkansas and Mississippi too. He should be well used to it by now.

Stunned that our experience the past 2 1/2 years folks would be cool with a retread. It's scary how similar P and Nutt's resumes are.

Reaction Score
Heard this morning Nutt is no longer a candidate.

Guess you read Jeff Jacob's article?;)

"As far as the next UConn head coach, I have no idea who it will be. I only know it won't be Turner Gill orLane Kiffin and, sources insist, there's no tangible interest on UConn's end in Houston Nutt"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom