Houston Nutt | The Boneyard

Houston Nutt

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Tommy Bowden > Houston Nutt, I would think.

Reaction Score
Almost as soon as Paul Pasqualoni was fired and sent on his way, the name of Houston Nutt surfaced as a possible candidate for the head coaching job at UConn.

WHERE in God's name did Mr. Devlin get the idea Nutt was the first name people were throwing out? I only saw his name here for the first time yesterday, and now this.

Mr. Nutt might be a fine, out of the box pick as OC. Can't see him as the head guy though

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
I'd take him just for his name.

Nutt is an excellent recruiter with ties all over the South and a decent coach. Fairly big name guy that is definitely young and charismatic. UConn could do a lot worse than Houston Nutt.With good coordinators, he could do very well at UConn.

Here's a tidbit: When Nick Saban left LSU to go to the Dolphins, he recommended Nutt follow him as the next coach of LSU. LSU wisely didn't listen, but a Saban recommendation is pretty strong given the coach he's turned out to be.

Dynasty

Never not member
Reaction Score
I would prefer someone younger but he is an interesting possibility. Nutt is on the complete opposite end of the spectrum attitude wise compared to PGDL. Someone needs to light a fire into the bellies of these players and he is one guy who can do it.

Reaction Score
We've been down the older retread road the last 2+ plus years. This is not the direction I'd be looking to go again.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
We've been down the older retread road the last 2+ plus years. This is not the direction I'd be looking to go again.

I really agree with this. Nutt is 56, so he's not that old and he's definitely high energy. I don't think he'll end up being the guy, but it would be an interesting fit. He is a southern boy through and through though.

Reaction Score
Wait a minute. Some posters here are saying he is too old and others say he is young. I realize any candidate will be young compared to PP but which is it?

Reaction Score
The name Jeff Tedford also belongs in this thread. A little younger. Coachingsearch.com linked Tedford to UCONN a few weeks ago.

Reaction Score
It's a mistake to call him a great recruiter. He is, I think, a much better game coach/motivator than a recruiter. He won early on at Ole Miss with Ed Orgeron's recruits, but then he couldn't stockpile any talent behind that.

I don't think that this is the direction that Manuel is looking to go in, but he should at least investigate if there is interest.

Reaction Score
Houston Nutt coached in the minor leagues of the NFL for years... Unfortunately for him, he couldn't turn things around for Ole Miss, but he lit it up at Pig Suey...I bet he's a much better option as a HC than Coach P though.

UCONN as a football program is stuck between a rock and a hard place... Do we bring in a young up and coming coach and start from scratch only to lose the guy 5 or 10 years from now? or do we look at a guy with a better pedigree (my opinion) in the college coaching ranks than Coach P (better recruiter... and better plays want/ed to play for him) and he's still several years shy of 60.

I think Nutt could work in Storrs ... one interesting nugget about this guy's coaching career. whereever he moved on to coach he turned things around in year 1... His last coaching gig at Ole Miss they went 9-4 in year 1... in the rugged SEC... where, the only teams that usually stay on top are Alabama, LSU, Georgia, South Carolina and Florida (no particular order).. Tenn is in re-building mold, while Ole Miss usually struggles every year along with Miss St, Kentucky, and Vandy... jury's out on newcomers Mizzou and Texas A&M... He's not perfect by any stretch ( the farm system thingy at Ole Miss - over recruiting ) but definitely a guy that can recruit talent.

We gotta give him a look.. no stone unturned this time around...

Reaction Score
Wait a minute. Some posters here are saying he is too old and others say he is young. I realize any candidate will be young compared to PP but which is it?

I thought Nutt was in his mid 60's. I guess I was wrong. Some people just don't age well.

Reaction Score
He would bring a totally different take to recruiting for this program. And he is absolutely qualified.

There is nothing wrong with the guy. He did well at Arkansas but failed to deliver on positively unrealistic expectations. Ole Miss snapped him up in heartbeat. Ole Miss has always been a hard place to succeed in.

I suspect that UConn is viewed as a well resourced program where it is hard to succeed.

My hunch is that Houston Nutt is not the right guy at the right time. Given our specific issues.

We need a guy that is up and coming, someone that wins but also embodies the image we are trying to portray.

Reaction Score
He's an interesting type of guy. He's also the kind of guy I mentioned in the top 3 thread. A successful head coach who hasn't been away for decades, would bring credibility and experience. He was pretty successful at Arkansas, and started out well at Ole Miss but it went south his last 2 years. he was also involved in a couple of controversies. I can't remember what the Arkansas ones were but I don't think they were football related. At Ole Miss he was accused of trying to develop a farm team by over recruiting and stashing the extras to some prep school for a year. But he didn't just do it with 1 or two kids. He brought in something like 12-15 extra players. They made a rule that limits you to 28 as a result.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I could live with either Nutt or Tedford in the AAC, assuming they were going to work and not just collect a paycheck. I don't think either is "the guy".

Reaction Score
The name Jeff Tedford also belongs in this thread. A little younger. Coachingsearch.com linked Tedford to UCONN a few weeks ago.

How does the name Tedford belong in a thread called Houston Nutt? :D

Reaction Score
WHERE in God's name did Mr. Devlin get the idea Nutt was the first name people were throwing out? I only saw his name here for the first time yesterday, and now this.

Mr. Nutt might be a fine, out of the box pick as OC. Can't see him as the head guy though

You left out your rant that he called a "prominent high school football coach in CT" for intel. ;)

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I don't love Tedford. I think west coast guys struggle coming to the northeast. I don't know why, but they do.

Reaction Score
How does the name Tedford belong in a thread called Houston Nutt? :D

I figured this could be our retread coach in his 50's thread. We don't really want a separate thread for every coach someone thinks of do we?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom