Houston Nutt | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Houston Nutt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Pasqualoni did a good job of getting the top kids in CT...look where that got us.

That's because he is outdated and out of touch as a x's and o's coach and a leader, get a clue. Slick and shady recruiting won't fix the program, good coaching will. Stop putting the cart before the horse.

Reaction Score
That's because he is outdated and out of touch as a x's and o's coach and a leader, get a clue.
I have a clue...you are the one who needs to wake up and realize if we don't recruit the states I mentioned we are done. Case in point..a good friend of mine played at UCONN..he went to St Thomas Aquinas in Ft Lauderdale..that hs puts out on avg 15-20 D-1A kids per year. That is more than the state if CT puts out altogether.

Reaction Score
That's because he is outdated and out of touch as a x's and o's coach and a leader, get a clue. Slick and shady recruiting won't fix the program, good coaching will. Stop putting the cart before the horse.
I never said ANYTHING about slick and shady recruiting....if you look back in this thread maybe 2nd or 3rd post I said "Pass" to Nutt. Good coaching goes hand in hand with good recruiting. You have to recruit the kids to keep depth on the roster and develope them. If the next guy doesn't get the right staff here..with at least 1-2 ACE recruiters he will fail. Unlike you I have been been VERY consistent on who is on my list...the only name that has dropped is Brent Venables. You have gone from Lembo to Williamson, to Mangini..each one being the next savior/Chip Kelly.

Reaction Score
I question whether "Houston Nutt" would do well in New England living rooms, someone like Eric Mangini with his background would probably do much better in New England.

Man - you are all in on Mangini eh?

Reaction Score
Man - you are all in on Mangini eh?

I just don't buy into the idea that we need someone from the south with southern recruiting connections to save us. That sounds more like a scheme than a plan and I will debate anyone who thinks we are 0-7 because of bad recruiting, its the coaching that stinks.

Someone asked me what the appeal is of a northeast guy so I answered the question.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
I just don't buy into the idea that we need someone from the south with southern recruiting connections to save us. That sounds more like ath scheme than a plan and I will debate anyone who thinks we are 0-7 because of bad recruiting, its the coaching that stinks.

Someone asked me what the appeal is of a northeast guy so I answered the question.
I will flat out say that we are 0-7 in large part because of untalented players. Can you really tell me you think the current UConn roster has the talent to win 6 FBS games regardless of the coach? I dont see Iit. This is one of the least talented teams we've had in the FBS era. Just terrible on both lines.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
A couple of things here:

1 - My mom (who has since passed) was diagnosed in the late 1990's with the same form of cancer that took Sam Walton's life. Due to money invested by Walton, the best place in the world for treatment was in Arkansas. When I was there (visiting my mother at the medical center) in January 1999 Nutt could have asked to be king and would have been handed the job. while there have been many coaches loved by his (or her) fan base over the years, I doubt that there was ever a coach who was more loved over a brief period of time than Nutt was back then. That honeymoon ended but the idea that someone like Houston Nutt would consider the UConn job has to dispel many of the rumors that most quality coaches would never consider us.

2 - If we are going to succeed as a major football program we will need 50% of our roster from the following block of states: New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Maryland and Virginia. We will need nother 20%-25% from Florida and the rest can be filled out with New York, New England and whatever other states we can land a stray recruit or two from. I personally believe that it is very possible for a school to win an FBS national title without have one player on its roster who is from New England. I doubt that a school can compete in any FBS conference if there is a large portion (more than ~ 25%) of its roster from New England.

Reaction Score
Who the heck is Williamson?
I have to appologize...we have gone back and forth so much that I got confused...is it correct to say your original top choices were Lembo and Campbell..then you moved on to Mangini?

Reaction Score
I will flat out say that we are 0-7 in large part because of untalented players. Can you really tell me you think the current UConn roster has the talent to win 6 FBS games regardless of the coach? I dont see Iit. This is one of the least talented teams we've had in the FBS era. Just terrible on both lines.

Hell yeah we have the talent to win 6 games. Your saying that Towson beat us because they have better talent? you think Buffalo has better talent? don't think so. Now, maybe we are 0-7 because we have been out coached sounds a lot like it. If Nick Saban was the HC here the kids will respond differently on the field and we will be one of the top teams in the conference. I don't buy the whole talent bull . Edsall took kids who were less talented and got the best out of them by coaching them up, take a look at Maryland, Edsall is coaching them kids up.

Reaction Score
I have to appologize...we have gone back and forth so much that I got confused...is it correct to say your original top choices were Lembo and Campbell..then you moved on to Mangini?

I believe he likes all 3 in no particular order. I'm sure we all have a few coaches on our list. Did you say you like Ambrose at some point to be considered?

Reaction Score
I believe he likes all 3 in no particular order. I'm sure we all have a few coaches on our list. Did you say you like Ambrose at some point to be considered?
No way at all to Ambrose! I hated him with a passion when he was here as an Assistant.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
Mmm
Hell yeah we have the talent to win 6 games. Your saying that Towson beat us because they have better talent? you think Buffalo has better talent? don't up.

Sadly, I do think those two teams are as talented as this year's Huskies. Not more talented, but as. I think wi th a very good coach, this group would still be at 2, maybe 3 wins right now.

Reaction Score
Mmm

Sadly, I do think those two teams are as talented as this year's Huskies. Not more talented, but as. I think wi th a very good coach, this group would still be at 2, maybe 3 wins right now.

I guess you can believe that, but IMHO PP and GDL's poor coaching has you fooled.

Reaction Score
Mmm

What's Good?

Thanks for your opinion Dez but you're wrong. Edsall didn't suddenly stop recruiting his last three years here, its the coaching that went into the tank (except for Don Brown) after he left. (all of the Seniors, Juniors, and Sophomores on this team are still Edsall guys)

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
I guess you can believe that, but IMHO PP and GDL's poor coaching has you fooled.

Their poor coaching has the team winless, but I just dont see more than 5 wins based on the talent. At best.

Reaction Score

Those are my top three.

I posted so much about Mangini because there was such a negative reaction to him. I don't think his NFL performance as a head coach was nearly as bad as people make it out to be and I wanted to present an alternate view point. When you take a deep dive into his coaching history I think it becomes apparent that he did some good things, is very well respected in the coaching community and has potential. He is not Rich Kotite, Greg Schiano, or Paul Pasqualoni.

Reaction Score
I really agree with this. Nutt is 56, so he's not that old and he's definitely high energy. I don't think he'll end up being the guy, but it would be an interesting fit. He is a southern boy through and through though.
is that a bad thing... like it or not we need to recruit the south. having someone that can do that isnt a bad thing.

Reaction Score
Those are my top three.

I posted so much about Mangini because there was such a negative reaction to him. I don't think his NFL performance as a head coach was nearly as bad as people make it out to be and I wanted to present an alternate view point. When you take a deep dive into his coaching history I think it becomes apparent that he did some good things, is respected in the coaching community and has potential. He is not Rich Kotite, Greg Schiano, or Paul Pasqualoni.
Fair enough...we will agree to disagree on Mangini. The other 2 are quality candidates

Reaction Score
Fair enough...we will agree to disagree on Mangini. The other 2 are quality candidates

Lembo, most likely isn't coming to Uconn as he made it strongly apparent that he's produced a strong enough resume to coach in the BiG.

Reaction Score
Shouldn't we just assume that Houston Nutt (a deep south SEC guy) probably has a shady recruiting history. We don't really want to go down that path do we? I'm sure Warde doesn't.

Maybe the integrity thing was a little shaky in the past but I honestly equate that to the attitude of guys from NASCAR looking for every edge for an underdog program. And in the SEC he probably was up against much worse. Hopefully he's learned from his mistakes but at least the guy had a plan and realizes we need to upgrade our talent in order to be successful. So maybe now he comes up with a new plan to give us an edge. Worth considering but maybe not the perfect fit.

Reaction Score
Lembo, most likely isn't coming to Uconn as he made it strongly apparent that he's produced a strong enough resume to coach in the BiG.
I saw that today....it will be interesting to see where he ends up...and what kind of job he does.

Reaction Score
What's Good?

Thanks for your opinion Dez but you're wrong. Edsall didn't suddenly stop recruiting his last three years here, its the coaching that went into the tank (except for Don Brown) after he left. (all of the Seniors, Juniors, and Sophomores on this team are still Edsall guys)
You missed several posts. We lost over 50% of Edsall's 2009 2010 classes. He did stop recruiting or lost the ability. He left a mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom