Hoopgurlz 2016 Rankings Update | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hoopgurlz 2016 Rankings Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't want to get into a pissing contest about how hoppy a beer can get (as some beers get a little crazy with their IBU's), but since I adore IPA's, I thought this would be a good time to mention a few of my favorites:

Bell's Two-Hearted Ale: simply amazing. As with the others below, try it on tap to truly appreciate its appeal.
Lagunita's Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute): It's a seasonal that's released in the fall. Totally worth seeking out.
Lagunita's Little Sumpin' Sumpin': What I drink when I cannot find any Lagunita's Sucks.
Uinta's Hop Nosh use to be called Hop Notch, but had to change its name due to a copyright dispute. A fine IPA, despite the fact that the beer is from Utah (where near-beer once thrived).
Green Flash Brewery's Hop Head Red: Divine. If you can't find that, try their West Coast IPA.
Ska Brewery's Modus Hoperandi: It tastes FAR better on tap than in a can, so find a bar that carries it.

Finally, I love the IPA they serve at Pizza Port in the San Diego area. Truly inspired. And great pizza as well. I visited the location in Carlsbad.
I didn't mean to get into a pissing contest either, my line of thought was really more: I know another beer with hop in the name. I'm more of a dark beer drinker anyways (and not a tremendously experienced one at that), and I haven't had beers from most of the breweries you list. I have had the experience of trying Bell's (their Java Stout is fantastic) and the double stout from Green Flash, which is also very good.

When I do drink IPA's, my favorite is Dog Fish Head 90 minute. My local package store was selling 120 minute the other day but, alas, it was distinctly out of my price range, even for a special occasion.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I didn't mean to get into a pissing contest either, my line of thought was really more: I know another beer with hop in the name. I'm more of a dark beer drinker anyways (and not a tremendously experienced one at that), and I haven't had beers from most of the breweries you list. I have had the experience of trying Bell's (their Java Stout is fantastic) and the double stout from Green Flash, which is also very good.

When I do drink IPA's, my favorite is Dog Fish Head 90 minute. My local package store was selling 120 minute the other day but, alas, it was distinctly out of my price range, even for a special occasion.
I had the 120 on Easter last year in a restaurant over looking Happy Valley and State College. It was very good and very strong.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Cox can bring the ball, up the floor and can shoot, but her game is more like that of Lauren Jackson.

Reaction Score
Valerie Higgins, a 5-1 wing, at #23 must have some serious hops!

View attachment 5940
Good catch, Jackalope. Other sources I have seen besides Hoopgurlz list Valerie Higgins at 5'11" or an even six feet. If she was really only 5'1" she would make Lorin Dixon look tall in comparison and Moriah look like a veritable giant!

BuckLucas

Bucks Are The Crux
Reaction Score
I know there are a million places that list next years top recruits. Are there any forums that list the schools the recruit is considering? TIA

Reaction Score
If we were to get Lauren Cox, we would not have to worry about our post for her 4 years. From what I've seen and read she is so fundamentally strong. I don't know much about her early years, or who has coached her, trained her, but whoever it was has done an outstanding job. She is a rebounding monster. She can shoot with either hand, even help bringing the ball up. Super versatile ! I know Gino loves that kind of player.

We know Gino is going to make the right moves. He always does. One thing I like about our recruiting process is that the recruit really and truly wants to come to UCONN ! They must be unselfish, and be TEAM oriented !
It's like Tonyc says you may beat us individually, and have a couple of uber-athletic players, but you can't and will not trump team !

I would take Cox, and Boley in a heartbeat !

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that you or Icebear were engaging in one-hopmanship; I just didn't want my addition being viewed as such. I'm a definite hophead. On a different note, I also love sours, although they are very hard to come by. Russian River Brewery in Santa Rosa, CA (in Napa County) is a great source for sours (LINK). And it's situated between 2 other great breweries (Lagunitas and Bear Republic). Napa County isn't just for wine anymore.

Last edited:

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
I know there are a million places that list next years top recruits. Are there any forums that list the schools the recruit is considering? TIA
Hoopsgurlz used to do that, and they still do occasionally, but it is updated extremely rarely. Prospects Nation also lists the schools in which a recruit has expressed interest, and they update it much more frequently than Hoopsgurlz does now, although it is accessible only to subscribers. If you're only interested in Huskies recruiting, HuskyNan does a great job: LINK

Reaction Score
If we were to get Lauren Cox, we would not have to worry about our post for her 4 years. From what I've seen and read she is so fundamentally strong. I don't know much about her early years, or who has coached her, trained her, but whoever it was has done an outstanding job. She is a rebounding monster. She can shoot with either hand, even help bringing the ball up. Super versatile ! I know Gino loves that kind of player.

We know Gino is going to make the right moves. He always does. One thing I like about our recruiting process is that the recruit really and truly wants to come to UCONN ! They must be unselfish, and be TEAM oriented !
It's like Tonyc says you may beat us individually, and have a couple of uber-athletic players, but you can't and will not trump team !

So would I!

Reaction Score

Dog Fish Head, yeah! (From the response maybe this topic deserves its own OT thread...) I got interested in DFH because they teamed up with an archaeologist at my alma mater, to understand some historic and prehistoric food-stuffs. The archaeologist in question uses the residue in old pot shards to re-create the fluid once stored in them. More than interesting; Dog Fish Head has crafted some truly excellent beer based on the research.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score

Actually, while 6'4", Cox (from what I've read) is more a 4/3 player. Much like a combo of Stewie and Lauren Jackson. She's NOT a back to the basket type of player. That's why UCONN is so interested in Bulter (the possible transfer from G-town) and McCoy, a 6'4" post in the same class as Cox... At 6'2", Boley is a forward and would be a terrific complement to Boykin, but she's not a typical 5 either...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
For all you beer and ale fans that do make it to Storrs for games - the Willimantic Brewing Co. located in the old Willi post office is a great place for lunch or dinner or just a serious round of beverage experimentation. I generally stick to their own brew and especially their cask conditioned selection if it isn't too weird (changes monthly) - they usually have about 8 brews with a fairly wide range from porters to double IPAs, but they also have a rotating selection of guest beers on tap - usually about 30, plus a wide selection of specialty potholes and cans.
I usually hit there for lunch whenever I am in Willi - love their 3 bean vegetarian chili but never had a bad item off their menu. And they often have a rye ale which I find really nice.

Reaction Score

Lauren Cox is listed on the Recruiting site, but I haven't heard that she has visited or planning to visit. Has anyone heard indication of mutual interest?

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I don't want to get into a pissing contest about how hoppy a beer can get
I didn't mean to get into a pissing contest either.

Seems to me that in this lively discussion about beer, it is ultimately and unavoidably a pissing contest, whether intended or not.:rolleyes:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Seems to me that in this lively discussion about beer, it is ultimately and unavoidably a pissing contest, whether intended or not.:rolleyes:
Yep, eventually that is what it becomes. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom