Hockey East move is official. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hockey East move is official.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'll drive to Storrs. I'm not going to Maine. Can't we start w a trip to Quinnipiac or Yale? :)

I posted this in another thread but maybe AD staff should take a road trip to Quinnipiac: consider/afford a beefed up Qunnipiac facility. Hockey one side/basketball other side w/ shared lobby. They have an awesome facility!
http://www.quinnipiac.edu/prebuilt/pdf/TDBanknorthFactSheet.pdf

• QU-ice-rink.jpg
  • QU-basketball.jpg

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
xl will surely be dead for most the Merrimack, UMass Lowell type games. But I can't wait for the days when Maine, BU, Notre Dame etc come to town. Oh ya, and obviously BC...I only got to throw 8 bottles of my 12 pack at their fans the last time at the Rent (I kid I kid).

Reaction Score
One of the things I'm most excited about is that we'll finally have scholarships to offer the guys. That's no slight to current and previous players as we wouldn't be in this position without them but the quality of talent we'll be able to attract will drastically improve with this move. Very exciting time.

Reaction Score
Who in their right mind thinks UCOnn hockey at the XL is going to draw more than a few K at best? my god they can't sell enough tickets to that to turn on the lights. After a couple of games the novelty is dead. I think the move to Hockey East is a great one but they don't need much of an arena. Have you guys been to Maine? the place is a small barn, seats 5,400 and they have been big time for quite a while. Mostly students in attendance. The Maine arena is basically the same size as UConn's with about ten rows deep of seating

Quinipiac is another great example for an arena.

U

UConn9604

Does anyone know if there are publicly available minutes and/or vote totals on the decision to admit us to Hockey East?

I would love to see what Gene DeFilippo had to say on the matter -- my guess is that he either abstained or just kept his mouth shut and had someone else vote "yea."

Reaction Score
just because she didn't say we're going to be upgrading our arena in that press conference doesn't mean it won't happen, or that it's not in the plans. either way we just got invited to Hockey East, can we give it a week before we start the bellyaching? I'm starting to think that even if we were invited to the B1G tomorrow for all sports somebody would have to bitch about something

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
One of the things I'm most excited about is that we'll finally have scholarships to offer the guys. That's no slight to current and previous players as we wouldn't be in this position without them but the quality of talent we'll be able to attract will drastically improve with this move. Very exciting time.

When do we get to start offering scholarships? I know w don't start HE play until 2014 but do we get scholarships next season? Or is it that once we start HE play the scholarships magically appear? Just curious because we're going to need to get better players and while I don't expect us to be competitive for awhile, it would help the transition if we were to get scholarships or some scholarships next year and start bringing in higher level talent so we're in a better position come 2014.

Reaction Score
just because she didn't say we're going to be upgrading our arena in that press conference doesn't mean it won't happen, or that it's not in the plans. either way we just got invited to Hockey East, can we give it a week before we start the bellyaching? I'm starting to think that even if we were invited to the B1G tomorrow for all sports somebody would have to bitch about something
I read in one report, not sure which paper, that UCONN had assured Hockey East that it will upgrade or replace Freitas as part of this move. They have concetual plans to expand the facility to about 4500 seats already. For what its worth, a college hockey arena like Alford at Maine or even theQuinnipiac rink is way better than a combo deal like BC has, I think. there is also no reason in the world why it wouldn't make sense to have an arena where Freitas is located. With the baseball, softball and soccer stadia all there and a fairly good parking area, it is a pretty logical spot. to me you want this sport to have its own identity.

Reaction Score
When do we get to start offering scholarships? I know w don't start HE play until 2014 but do we get scholarships next season? Or is it that once we start HE play the scholarships magically appear? Just curious because we're going to need to get better players and while I don't expect us to be competitive for awhile, it would help the transition if we were to get scholarships or some scholarships next year and start bringing in higher level talent so we're in a better position come 2014.

The plan, as per the Stafford report released by the Courant, would be to phase in six scholarships per year, starting with the 2012-13 (i.e. the upcoming) hockey season, so we would have some players on scholarship next year, yes.

Reaction Score
I read in one report, not sure which paper, that UCONN had assured Hockey East that it will upgrade or replace Freitas as part of this move. They have concetual plans to expand the facility to about 4500 seats already. For what its worth, a college hockey arena like Alford at Maine or even theQuinnipiac rink is way better than a combo deal like BC has, I think. there is also no reason in the world why it wouldn't make sense to have an arena where Freitas is located. With the baseball, softball and soccer stadia all there and a fairly good parking area, it is a pretty logical spot. to me you want this sport to have its own identity.
Alfond, from a strict facilities standpoint, is not better than Conte. It's quite old, there are a lot of very obstructed view seats, the visitor section is directly below the student balcony that isn't fully enclosed on the bottom, so you can easily get drinks spilled on your head that get kicked down through the breaks in the metal bleachers. That said, from every other perspective, it's better. Give me a choice of where to see a game, and 99 times out of 100 I'll pick Alfond. If Conte was a hockey-only facility, it would be better for their team (not like they need it), though it is aging a bit despite recent upgrades.

The best overall facilities in the conference are BU and Lowell, with UNH and BC a notch below, then most everybody else clustered into a pool of average rinks. Merrimack has by far the worst, even despite their recent "renovations" - their capacity is a woeful 2,485. UConn would need to at least be in the level above MC, preferably in the 4-5K range, with a dedicated non-shared facility, proper strength and conditioning facilities, etc., and most of all ON CAMPUS!

Reaction Score
Alfond, from a strict facilities standpoint, is not better than Conte. It's quite old, there are a lot of very obstructed view seats, the visitor section is directly below the student balcony that isn't fully enclosed on the bottom, so you can easily get drinks spilled on your head that get kicked down through the breaks in the metal bleachers. That said, from every other perspective, it's better. Give me a choice of where to see a game, and 99 times out of 100 I'll pick Alfond. If Conte was a hockey-only facility, it would be better for their team (not like they need it), though it is aging a bit despite recent upgrades.

The best overall facilities in the conference are BU and Lowell, with UNH and BC a notch below, then most everybody else clustered into a pool of average rinks. Merrimack has by far the worst, even despite their recent "renovations" - their capacity is a woeful 2,485. UConn would need to at least be in the level above MC, preferably in the 4-5K range, with a dedicated non-shared facility, proper strength and conditioning facilities, etc., and most of all ON CAMPUS!
I'm talking about atmosphere, not facilities. Alford is always (or at least when I've been there) rocking. By comparison Conte is really too big and its a morgue. Again going by my experience. I have to say 4-5000 seats is probably about right for any college arena.

Reaction Score
I'm talking about atmosphere, not facilities. Alford is always (or at least when I've been there) rocking. By comparison Conte is really too big and its a morgue. Again going by my experience. I have to say 4-5000 seats is probably about right for any college arena.
Oh yeah, then you're completely right. Conte, outside of a BU game or if someone really, really huge is in town, is mostly a morgue. Alfond is the toughest road environment in the league, and has been consistently since Walter Brown at BU closed. The student balcony is so low that if the people in the first row held out a rake (it's Orono...) they could touch the top of the glass.

Reaction Score
It was in both today's N.H. Register & Waterbury Republican articles. From the Register: "Non-league games would still be played at the on-campus Freitas ice Forum, which Manual has said the school plans to renovate or replace."

Reaction Score
It was in both today's N.H. Register & Waterbury Republican articles. From the Register: "Non-league games would still be played at the on-campus Freitas ice Forum, which Manual has said the school plans to renovate or replace."

I hope it will be rebuilt... I would love to see a new arena in Hartford and see a triple header action between Hall-Conrad (or Manchester-East Catholic), the CT Whale - Bridgeport Sound Tigers and QU-UConn. Just think of what Hartford would be!! High School hockey is great in CT.

Reaction Score
Knock down Gampel, build a 14,000 seat on campus arena, halve the upper-tier to 7,000 seats for hockey.

Reaction Score
Knock down Gampel, build a 14,000 seat on campus arena, halve the upper-tier to 7,000 seats for hockey.

Why not try to get 14K for hockey?? Let not sell hockey in CT short. I think we can be successful 4 years after join the HE. Youth hockey in CT is strong so in HS hockey. Jr Hockey is great too. I would love to see a new arena built on the campus. I would love to see EO Smith hockey team use it, and I'd love to see a QMHL team in CT using the arena, too. I believe this UConn to the HE move might help Connecticut get back the Whalers!!

Just think of what CT with strong HS hockey, Jr. Hockey, Yale, QU and UConn hockey, the Danbury Whalers, Bridgeport Sound Tigers, (dream) (New Haven) CT Whale (played at QU's arena) and the Hartford Whalers (again dreaming - relocated from Carolina! :)). It would help the state!!

Reaction Score
Why not try to get 14K for hockey?? Let not sell hockey in CT short. I think we can be successful 4 years after join the HE. Youth hockey in CT is strong so in HS hockey. Jr Hockey is great too. I would love to see a new arena built on the campus. I would love to see EO Smith hockey team use it, and I'd love to see a QMHL team in CT using the arena, too. I believe this UConn to the HE move might help Connecticut get back the Whalers!!

Just think of what CT with strong HS hockey, Jr. Hockey, Yale, QU and UConn hockey, the Danbury Whalers, Bridgeport Sound Tigers, (dream) (New Haven) CT Whale (played at QU's arena) and the Hartford Whalers (again dreaming - relocated from Carolina! :)). It would help the state!!

There are a lot of hockey games so you have games in the middle of the week. You have to look at what Providence, BU and BC are drawing to make comparisons.

Reaction Score

There's a 0% chance you'll get 14K for hockey. No one gets 14K for hockey at home anywhere in college.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
BU is a very large school, in a huge city with quite a history (in the mid 70's they were nearly a full step above Harvard and a couple of steps above BC, Northeastern and any non Beanpot New England hockey school.

I imagine that they have already reached any reasonable ceiling for fan support. Expecting anything above what they draw would be completely unrealistic. Hoping to reach a considerable percentage of their attendance should be the goal (with the understanding that it will take some time).

Reaction Score
There are a lot of hockey games so you have games in the middle of the week. You have to look at what Providence, BU and BC are drawing to make comparisons.
There are very few mid-week games during the season, the vast majority are Fri/Sat. UMass is a good meter for UConn's attendance. Granted, ~50% of the UMass crowd is free tickets given to students, but they're able to draw large numbers and sometimes come close to completely filling Mullins for BU and BC games, for a program that's largely a middle to bottom of the pack HE team. If UConn was averaging 3-4K for home games five seasons from now, that would be a major success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom