Herbst Spoke w/ BC Pres. re: Block | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Herbst Spoke w/ BC Pres. re: Block

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Did you read a single tweet from a Texas beat writer where they were kissing Colorado's butt to get the Buffs to let them in the Pac 12? A&Mtuat

You don't handle situations like this through the press, and Herbst is enough of a pro that she should know better. My fear is that she knows we are cooked and she is just trying to make it look like she did everything she could when WVU and Louisville head to the Big 12.
Other then her statement of yesterday, where do you see a quote from her. Don't attribute every "source" to being a comment from her. C'mon now.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Hmm, should she be trying to find a mole, or trying to do everything to make sure UConn has a good landing spot? What would be a better use of her time?

Hmm...

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
She has to plug the leak in her office. This stuff should not be getting out. Louisville and WVU could be gone at the end of the week, and Louisville wants to stay. Why are we pissing everyone off for a hope and a dream? STFU already and play nice.
Do you honestly believe that any of the football members would turn down an offer from another BCS conference because UConn is being quiet about what they want?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
It's not like a single secret has been leaked to the press. What exactly have we lost now that folks know she's spoken with BC? I would have hoped/assumed she'd be on that anyway. That we want to end up in the ACC is no secret either.

Reaction Score
Did you read a single tweet from a Texas beat writer where they were kissing Colorado's butt to get the Buffs to let them in the Pac 12? A&Mtuat

You don't handle situations like this through the press, and Herbst is enough of a pro that she should know better. My fear is that she knows we are cooked and she is just trying to make it look like she did everything she could when WVU and Louisville head to the Big 12.

Did UT sue Colorado, and have the legendary HBC say he would never, ever play them again?

Reaction Score
She's just keeping things fluid. That's what the school needs. Don't allow any glue to set.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
HuskyNan said:
I'm told Prez Herbst is traveling today. Wonder where?​
Huskynan,

Care to elaborate?

I don't know any more than the fact Herbst is traveling today. Given all that's going on and a quote in a news source yesterday that all her time is being spent on the conference issue, I wonder where she could be. I don't even have enough info to speculate.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Do you honestly believe that any of the football members would turn down an offer from another BCS conference because UConn is being quiet about what they want?

Jurich has publicly said he would turn down the SEC or Big 12. Trust is a pretty simple concept, but once it is lost, it is hard to repair. In 2003, the 5 schools circled the wagons and got to work on fixing the league. They had no TV deal, they only had one potential buyer, and the BCS bid was in very serious jeopardy. The next 5 years were better for the league than any 5 year period in its history.

Today, we lose a couple of has been, nobodies, and everyone is completely freaking out. Just because Cantor and Nordy are dirtbags doesn't mean every other school President needs to be one. Circle the wagons and get to work building the best league possible. Change creates opportunity for programs. Maybe a Houston joins and becomes the next TCU/Louisville. Instead, all 6 schools are running around trying to find winning lottery tickets, and if one school finds one, the other 5 are totally screwed. This is not the smart play, especially for UConn.

Reaction Score
Nothing wrong with trying to put two and x together where x is a plane to greensboro. Now if you only had the tail # of her plane!
I don't know any more than the fact Herbst is traveling today. Given all that's going on and a quote in a news source yesterday that all her time is being spent on the conference issue, I wonder where she could be. I don't even have enough info to speculate.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
1) How is the Big East not closer to C-USA today than it was last week or 8 years ago?
2) How is this better for the long term health of our sports programs?

Reaction Score

check the tail number of Burton's jet.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
1) How is the Big East not closer to C-USA today than it was last week or 8 years ago?
2) How is this better for the long term health of our sports programs?

Good point. We should make another "leak" that we think the rest of the Big East sucks. Make sure we have the reporter call Luck and Jurich and see what they think about the leak.

Reaction Score
Nelson is either trying to piss the majority of us off to get our goat OR he is insane. The conference is not the same without Pitt and Cuse. I believe 160 + million has been spent on UConn football. This money was not spent for nothing

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Good point. We should make another "leak" that we think the rest of the Big East sucks. Make sure we have the reporter call Luck and Jurich and see what they think about the leak.

Erm... I wasn't trying to make the point you inferred, I was just asking a couple of questions. Regardless - yes, the rest of the Big East now does suck, and that's no secret to be leaked. They don't all suck equally, mind you. I quite like WVU and Louisville and the other football schools, and wish them well. But every one of them would jump at the opportunity to leave a league that (for football anyway) is swirling round the toilet. Maybe that opportunity never comes, but that doesn't mean we have to be all "yay rah rah! we r soooo awsum!! we have air force!!!1"

Reaction Score
he's either an idiot or he is lying.

Jurich is committed to the Big East because he has to be.

He said he wouldn't go to the SEC because there is abosolutely no chance the SEC would ever invite Louisville. Anybody who knows anything about collegiate athletics knows that; he's just trying to make his commitment sound better.

Reaction Score
Jurich has publicly said he would turn down the SEC or Big 12. Trust is a pretty simple concept, but once it is lost, it is hard to repair. In 2003, the 5 schools circled the wagons and got to work on fixing the league.

Actually, as you may recall, it was SIX teams that originally circled the wagons to fix the league. That sixth school was Boston College. They had not been included in the original raid, as most had thought, and they had hoped and expected. So they pledged to the BE to be a member and help rebuild it and make it the best conference possible. That was until the ACC knocked on their door for a second time ...and whoosh ...they were gone!!! Is that trust and unity?

Don't forget, she has not ruled out staying in the BE, but she is exploring all of our options. I much prefer Prez Herbst's approach in being honest about our intentions, rather than lying as some other former BE school presidents have done, both in the past and much more recently!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Actually, as you may recall, it was SIX teams that originally circled the wagons to fix the league. That sixth school was Boston College. They had not been included in the original raid, as most had thought, and they had hoped and expected. So they pledged to the BE to be a member and help rebuild it and make it the best conference possible. That was until the ACC knocked on their door for a second time ...and whoosh ...they were gone!!! Is that trust and unity?

Don't forget, she has not ruled out staying in the BE, but she is exploring all of our options. I much prefer Prez Herbst's approach in being honest about our intentions, rather than lying as some other former BE school presidents have done, both in the past and much more recently!

5 schools circled the wagons, and the next 5 years were great for the conference and the individual schools, including UConn.

What do you expect from the conference? I want a schedule and enough quality to make for good games and a decent national reputation. In football, being in a super-tough conference is not an advantage. In basketball, I would argue otherwise.

Reaction Score
I would check to see if Herbst's plane is heading for Big 10 Country. Yes she reaches out to BC, perhaps to discuss the ACC blockage issue, but perhaps to gain some insight and mend some fences and set the platform for future dealings. Then she heads on over to the Big10 for lunch.

Reaction Score
Jurich has publicly said he would turn down the SEC or Big 12. Trust is a pretty simple concept, but once it is lost, it is hard to repair. In 2003, the 5 schools circled the wagons and got to work on fixing the league. They had no TV deal, they only had one potential buyer, and the BCS bid was in very serious jeopardy. The next 5 years were better for the league than any 5 year period in its history.

Today, we lose a couple of has been, nobodies, and everyone is completely freaking out. Just because Cantor and Nordy are dirtbags doesn't mean every other school President needs to be one. Circle the wagons and get to work building the best league possible. Change creates opportunity for programs. Maybe a Houston joins and becomes the next TCU/Louisville. Instead, all 6 schools are running around trying to find winning lottery tickets, and if one school finds one, the other 5 are totally screwed. This is not the smart play, especially for UConn.

Are you some kind of union leader or something? Your response seems to always be about circling the wagons and sticking together. I agree that Herbst needs to stop acting like a rookie and plug the media leaks but the only school UConn, WVU, Louisville, and RU should be worried about is themselves. Pitt and Cuse may be has beens, nobodies (basketball fans would disagree) but they are also very strong national brands. Nobody has given a crap about Houston at least since 1984 and nobody will give a crap about ECU, UCF when they join too.

This football league is dead. Our 5 of our 6 best teams have left in the past 8 years. Time to leave it for dead. Adding other mid-majors isn't going to solve the problem.

Reaction Score

So you really think Jurich woudn't be on the next train out of here if the Big 12 offered?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Are you some kind of union leader or something? Your response seems to always be about circling the wagons and sticking together. I agree that Herbst needs to stop acting like a rookie and plug the media leaks but the only school UConn, WVU, Louisville, and RU should be worried about is themselves. Pitt and Cuse may be has beens, nobodies (basketball fans would disagree) but they are also very strong national brands. Nobody has given a crap about Houston at least since 1984 and nobody will give a crap about ECU, UCF when they join too.

This football league is dead. Our 5 of our 6 best teams have left in the past 8 years. Time to leave it for dead. Adding other mid-majors isn't going to solve the problem.

You have to play the cards you are dealt. We are drawing 3 cards on an inside straight right now. It is a bad play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom