HC Candidates | Page 9 | The Boneyard

HC Candidates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think with the right staff and budget Moorhead could make an immediate impact on this train wreck. Deserves serious consideration.

Moorhead is my first choice.
I fear he is not available to us however.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
He's overseeing one of the top offenses in the G5. He will have options this offseason - and he very well may spring for a school with less institutional prestige than us if he likes what he sees on their roster more than ours. Being a Michigan native, I can see him potentially taking Fleck's spot at WMU after he gets poached, winning a couple of MAC championships, and snagging a P5 job in 2019 or 2020.
No. If Weist had the option of UConn or WMU, he's picking UConn 10 out of 10 times. The American is a higher profile than the MAC.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
The highest paid coordinators in the country are around $1.6million. No way Orlando gets $2million at Texas. That's just not how it works. If UConn isnt goint to pay their next coach $2million plus, with $600k or so for the OC, then just give up football now.

That all said, Orlando may not want to be a HC, as has been said here before. If he does, I'd love to see him at UConn. He is a fantastic young football mind.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
I'm going with Jason Candle (Toledo). Guy took over their bowl game last year, and his transition (10-2) has been seemless.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
In order to afford maintaining a respectable football program, we have to cut some sports to get to the mimimum required. I suggest m/w cross country, m/w tennis and m golf. That allows us to have a slim but efficient AD that focuses on sports that matter (like football, basketball, hockey, soccer, baseball, field hockey, etc.).

shizzle787

Reaction Score
I think the BY endorses Moorehead, Orlando, Weist.

Maybe this saves a few bucks on hiring consultants to come up with Moorehead,Orlando or Weist
Forget Weist; he went 3-5 as interim. I would focus on someone who has been a successful head coach at a slightly lower level (MAC, C-USA).

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Forget Weist; he went 3-5 as interim. I would focus on someone who has been a successful head coach at a slightly lower level (MAC, C-USA).
The fact that he turned things around in only 5 games is amazing... Nick Saban wasn't going to coach much better given what he inherited.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
The fact that he turned things around in only 5 games is amazing... Nick Saban wasn't going to coach much better given what he inherited.
Our schedule helped...a lot. Temple 2-10, Rutgers 6-7, Memphis 3-9.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I think the BY endorses Moorehead, Orlando, Weist.

Maybe this saves a few bucks on hiring consultants to come up with Moorehead,Orlando or Weist

When do we announce our endorsement to the Courant? ;)

I know that it sounds funny, but The Boneyard endorsement is EXACTLY what should be sought by the administration, as we are likely the highest spending per fan that UCONN has. We also spend the most time on this type of research, and if we all agree on a list of candidates, there's a good chance that we've got the right idea...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Our schedule helped...a lot. Temple 2-10, Rutgers 6-7, Memphis 3-9.

And how many of those teams wouldn't blank us right now?

And how many of those teams could we put up 40 points on?

I don't want to hear about Cochran without hearing about Weist. Cochran before Weist was below average because our wallpaper OC was a nimrod. Weist helped turn him into a highly productive, high scoring QB. The idea that the 3-5 record is reflective of anything is preposterous...

Reaction Score
When do we announce our endorsement to the Courant? ;)

I know that it sounds funny, but The Boneyard endorsement is EXACTLY what should be sought by the administration, as we are likely the highest spending per fan that UCONN has. We also spend the most time on this type of research, and if we all agree on a list of candidates, there's a good chance that we've got the right idea...

But who will we blame when it goes the snow !!!!

shizzle787

Reaction Score
And how many of those teams wouldn't blank us right now?

And how many of those teams could we put up 40 points on?

I don't want to hear about Cochran without hearing about Weist. Cochran before Weist was below average because our wallpaper OC was a nimrod. Weist helped turn him into a highly productive, high scoring QB. The idea that the 3-5 record is reflective of anything is preposterous...
Diaco has lost the team. We know this.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
How do we know this? Do you know somebody on the inside? we only know that he probably lost a lot of the fanbase.
Think about it. We almost beat Navy, Syracuse, and then fall apart against terrible teams (UCF, ECU, BC). Navy is better than all of those. There is no reason why we should lose or get spanked by ECU and shouldn't get spanked by BC. Something happened in the locker room during the UCF game. I don't know what, but something happened.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Diaco has lost the team. We know this.

I'll concede that he had probably lost them. But how about before he lost them?

Weist broke 22 points on offense more times in 5 games than Diaco did in 3 years, if my memory serves. Let that sink in for a bit...

EDIT: I just checked it out. Diaco broke 22 points 7 times in three years. Weist broke it 3 times in 8 games. That tells me everything I need to know...

Last edited:

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Or else he is waiting to see if all his players have intimate relationships with real people.

Diacco interviewed for 3 jobs last year and got none of them, including at BC. Does he have what is needed to be a HC? He is about as un-exciting of a man as you can find. People would be happy about the hire until they hear stuff like this:

Let me know when his voice changes modulation or if you can make it past 5 minutes,

Uconn needs someone with a vision, a plan and who knows who will be his dynamic OC and who will be his pitbull DC. The next guy needs to sit down and lay it out to the AD and the fans and get them to buy in Day 1. The next guy needs to recruit like no tomorrow and would need to sign a bunch of 3 and 4 stars. He needs to embrace the media and social media. He needs to be 180 degrees from both Edsall and PP.

Lost-damus

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I worry about bringing in another coordinator. I really would like a candidate that has been a HC for 5 years. Someone that knows how to assemble a coaching staff that isn't packed with friends, someone that can manage in game and someone that can bring toughness, speed and aggression back to the field. I long for the days of McClain and Edwards returning punts and a LB corp that made plays in the backfield. Most importantly, someone that can identify talent and development talent.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Also, personality-wise, we fell victim to the pendulum effect where we had this boring old "energy vampire" here for three years, swung way too far in the opposite direction and picked young dumb and crazy. I have a feeling Benedict will be able to find a good middle ground there.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Also, personality-wise, we fell victim to the pendulum effect where we had this boring old "energy vampire" here for three years, swung way too far in the opposite direction and picked young dumb and crazy. I have a feeling Benedict will be able to find a good middle ground there.
Yes, over correcting on coaching hires for the faults of the prior regime is extremely common in all sports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom