HC Candidates | The Boneyard

HC Candidates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Tresses
Rich Rod
Petrino

Anyone else? And don't give me the "character issues" because we can't worry about them.

Reaction Score
I would say OC/DC's like Bob Diaco of ND and Chad Morris of Clemson...and possibly Petrino. If a guy like Mark Richt gets fired at UGA he would be my first choice. Guy can recruit/coach...

Reaction Score
Would have taken Whipple the first time. What's he doing now?

Reaction Score
Tresses
Rich Rod
Petrino

Anyone else? And don't give me the "character issues" because we can't worry about them.

There is a clear difference between candidates and a wish list.

Wish List:
Brady Hoke
James Franklin

Candidates:
Mario Christobol
Pat Narduzzi
TJ Weist (Edit - should have included initially)

Edit Note: Sure would love the Moderators to pin one of these threads so we don't have a new one popping up each day till PP signs his severance papers! Please, pretty please

Reaction Score
I would say OC/DC's like Bob Diaco of ND and Chad Morris of Clemson...and possibly Petrino. If a guy like Mark Richt gets fired at UGA he would be my first choice. Guy can recruit/coach...
Richt would be gobbled up by some other SEC or B1G school with a big donor that would fund a contract that is untouchable by Uconn, especially if they are still paying PP and Calhoun. Uconn does not have an unlimited budget for a FB coach.

Diaco was high on a bunch of lists last year but never got an offer from any. Maybe there is a fundamental flaw there.

Most likely candidates - Whipple (former UMass and down at the U); Ambrose (he knows what he is doing even if he is a jerk); Dan Enos (Central Michigan; mid 40's; solid pedigree)

I do like the idea of a P5 OC/DC but am always wary of guys that have never run the whole show.

Reaction Score
We need someone who will bring excitement to the program, someone who will get people to come and stay for games. Look up what PJ Fleck has done for Western Michigan so far, 20+ recruits, him and his staff put out a harlem shake video etc. I would love to see a hot young coach get his first job here and put his stamp on the program. Brian Johnson (OC Utah) Major Applewhite (OC TEX) are a couple names, or a mid major coach like Hudspeth. But we can all agree that PP does nothing to add excitement to our program.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
We need someone who will bring excitement to the program, someone who will get people to come and stay for games. Look up what PJ Fleck has done for Western Michigan so far, 20+ recruits, him and his staff put out a harlem shake video etc. I would love to see a hot young coach get his first job here and put his stamp on the program. Brian Johnson (OC Utah) Major Applewhite (OC TEX) are a couple names, or a mid major coach like Hudspeth. But we can all agree that PP does nothing to add excitement to our program.

PJ Fleck is at the top of my current mental list.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think your pool is MAC head coaches, ACC/Big 10 coordinators and maybe a hot shot FCS HC.

These big time SEC coordinators are not in play. Nor would I spend much time on anyone who has spent whole career west of Mississippi.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Richt would be gobbled up by some other SEC or B1G school with a big donor that would fund a contract that is untouchable by Uconn, especially if they are still paying PP and Calhoun. Uconn does not have an unlimited budget for a FB coach.

Diaco was high on a bunch of lists last year but never got an offer from any. Maybe there is a fundamental flaw there.

Most likely candidates - Whipple (former UMass and down at the U); Ambrose (he knows what he is doing even if he is a jerk); Dan Enos (Central Michigan; mid 40's; solid pedigree)

I do like the idea of a P5 OC/DC but am always wary of guys that have never run the whole show.

If you want P version 2.11 hire Whip.

Yes, there will be schools in more formidable conferences than ours looking at Richt if/when Georgia does finally pull the trigger (that they've been threatening to pull for a half dozen years now). One thing that we can sell however (which may be a pleasant change) is the fact that success commensurate to a legitimate effort will be enough to keep the fan base happy. I seriously doubt that we'll try to run him out of town for finishing 10th nationally after being ranked #3 in the preseason.

Add to this the fact that it would be far easier to climb the ladder here than in the SEC or B1G and that if he gets to where he is bringing in close to the talent that he regularly brought into Georgia, we'll build a statue to him in 20 years.

Reaction Score
Did you really say to get people to stay for games - implies to get there on time. Wow you are dreamer. Maybe we could even fill our 25%$^&*(( stadium.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I think your pool is MAC head coaches, ACC/Big 10 coordinators and maybe a hot shot FCS HC.

These big time SEC coordinators are not in play. Nor would I spend much time on anyone who has spent whole career west of Mississippi.

100% agree. Coordinators from the B1G or ACC will probably make up the most attractive candidate pool. I'm going to guess that the candidate will need to have northern/eastern ties but you never know, Chip Kelly was a east coast guy that thrived out west. I highly doubt anybody named JimBob, Dabo, or Jumbo would get consideration up here unless they hit a grand slam in the interview.

I would hope that Kirk Ferentz and possibly Eric Mangini would be interviewed. Off that the very top top of my head, I think these guys could work. Probably not the glamour names everyone would hope for, but solid football guys with ties to the area for recruiting. At the end of the day, I think I'd rather give the keys to an upstart OC at a Power 5 school or upstart offensive head coach at a mid-major. I'm also warming to the idea of Bobby Petrino after initially being opposed. This program needs juice again after flatlining for 3 years. On that premise alone, I'm also also not opposed to firing PP now, let TJ Weist show what he can do and if shows spark, offer him a 3 year deal.

Isn't this fun? It's week 1 and the Boneyard is buzzing with head coaching possibilities.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Petrino is a dead end. He's got a track record that doesn't require a half step through the AAC. He'll go from WKU to the ACC in two years. Doesn't need to sign onto a total rebuild that comes with a fanbase that gets upset about Calhoun swearing at players.

Hopefully people can wrap their heads around this soon and we can deal with actual candidates.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Penn State found O'Brien hiding in Belichick's shadow. The coaching community knows which guys have "it". You need to go talk to people way before you have an opening. Picking guys from media hype or because they are an assistant on a winning team is not doing due diligence .

That said, my list starts with Tressel, Bradley, and goes from there. We need a guy who knows what he's doing in all aspects. Atmospherics come later.

I am.reminded of the story when Kelly landed at ND, how astonished he was at how many standard practices were ignored, like not having a training table.

I think the next guy will discover a bunch of things this regime is "not doing."

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score

Agreed; I typed out a post that was almost the same thing. We'll see which teams have good seasons this year.

On the other end of the spectrum, it looks like Rex Ryan might be available. I don't know how he'd do at the college level, could be either really good or really bad, but he'd be a big name hire.

Reaction Score
Chad Morris would be at the top of my list. Might be a pipedream but that's the first call I'd make as AD.

Some current HC's to look into:

Pete Lembo- Ball St
Mark Hudspeth- UL Lafayette

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
As for Mangini... I would be shocked if he would even consider the job. He's been a head coach in the NFL - he wants to work 90 hours a week begging kids to come to UConn?

He spent his entire career in the NFL and makes a nice living as a consultant for a team that might win the Super Bowl.

He wants to kill himself trying to beat Temple and Memphis?

Dooley

Reaction Score
As for Mangini... I would be shocked if he would even consider the job. He's been a head coach in the NFL - he wants to work 90 hours a week begging kids to come to UConn?

He spent his entire career in the NFL and makes a nice living as a consultant for a team that might win the Super Bowl.

He wants to kill himself trying to beat Temple and Memphis?

Possibly. I didn't say he would knock down Warde's door when the job is open. I just said that I would hope that he would be interviewed. Or at least, contacted to see if he would be interested. If not, we move down the list. I just don't want to start contacting candidates further down "the list" because we are devaluing our own product.

Dooley

Reaction Score
And I have no idea who would be on Warde's list and in what order those names would appear. If I was putting together a list, I'd definitely pencil in "Eric Mangini".

hungry husky

Currently Hungry
Reaction Score
There is a clear difference between candidates and a wish list.

Wish List:
Brady Hoke
James Franklin

Candidates:
Mario Christobol
Pat Narduzzi
TJ Weist (Edit - should have included initially)

Edit Note: Sure would love the Moderators to pin one of these threads so we don't have a new one popping up each day till PP signs his severance papers! Please, pretty please

Why would Brady Hoke ever leave Michigan for UCONN?

Add Eric Mangini.

Reaction Score
I don't agree that we can't pay big money. Use exit fee money and swing for the fences. If it costs 5 mill per for a big name that is sure to right the ship, it is money well spent. Money isn't an issue.....yet. Spend now, before that window closes too.

Spending now increases our chance of switching conferences, so paying big money now is an investment in finding a new home. We can't just hope we get lucky with some coordinator.

Reaction Score
I like Patrick Graham, Patriots D-Line coach since 2009. Patrick Graham is only 34 years old, was born in Waterbury, CT and played D-Line at Yale University. He also coached at Wagner, Richmond, and Notre Dame before joining the Patriots. Although this seems like a good hire I don't think he will even get a look by UCONN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom