Has the pandemic reduced your interest in professional sports? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Has the pandemic reduced your interest in professional sports?

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I think it's a ploy. The owners are stalling until the only option the players have is accepting the 50 games the owners are asking for

I’m not sure the players are happy with anything less than 70. Which I’m not sure there time for

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I have just realized there's more to life. I've been golfing and fishing more. Playing more board/card games with my wife. Reading books. My family has been getting together at a public park in my town - which I had never been to before and just realized it's very nice. I watched the final day of the Colonial all day on Sunday though, but I always watch golf anyway. I don't miss baseball one bit. I cannot wait for NFL and Uconn hoops though. I will be watching less baseball and hockey from here on out though, and filling in my time with the aforementioned activities. I also realized how awful Nascar and MMA are - who watches those? They are just terrible.

Reaction Score
I’m not sure the players are happy with anything less than 70. Which I’m not sure there time for
They definitely won't be happy and I think a bunch would sit out. But Manfred can still honor the original agreement of prorated salaries for however many games he chooses. Even 50 will be tough unless that happens this week since the regular season has to end in September

Reaction Score
My interest in sports as a whole has dwindled for years, ever since I hit my 30s. The quarantine has reinforced that. Too much other stuff going on in life. They're still my prime source of entertainment but I really don't miss them all that much. I'm still a huge Knicks and UConn fan but that's it. I used to be a four-season die hard. Loved MLB, NFL, NBA, CBB, CFB. I watched a fair amount of golf.

I stopped following MLB a decade ago after being a huge Yankee fan for 20 years. Stopped cold turkey one season; my interest died overnight and never came back. Interestingly, out of my group of high school friends (about ten of us) all but one of us stopped following MLB around 2010-2012. Not sure exactly what happened but something turned off all of us. Baseball chatter gets derided when it gets brought up in our group chat.

I'd barely follow the NFL if it weren't for fantasy football. Maybe watch part of the SNF game if it was an interesting matchup. I couldn't tell you the last time I watched a college football game. Football is too slow and too boring for me. Three-plus hours of TV and commercials for 11-12 minutes of action. I think RedZone and fantasy ruined my fanhood.

With UConn going to the AAC in 2013 it killed my interest in college hoops though hopefully that'll be revived now that we're back in the BE. I used to watch several non-UConn games each week (Big Monday, Super Tuesday, etc). I haven't watched a non-UConn, non-tournament college basketball since probably 2012 or 2013.

I still love the NBA. My interest there hasn't waivered recently (it did in a major way from '00 to about '07--the league was awful) but it's been strong the last 13 years.

I'm going strong now without sports but I will admit that winter will be really tough if there's no basketball. Hunkered down through a New England winter with no hoops would be a drag. I'd be reading two books a week (probably a good thing) if we don't have basketball.

Reaction Score
I’ve been waiting for this thread to come out. I’ve had friends and family ask me how I was holding up without sports and I’m proud to say that they all received the same answer which was an astounding “ehh I’ll live.” I’ve been following sports and faithfully watched ESPN since I was 8/9 yrs old and I’m in my early 40’s now. Besides the MJ doc I don’t think I’ve watched 10 mins of ESPN and NO Sportscenter. I actually thought that having no sports would’ve crushed me but it hasn’t and it hasn’t changed my life for the worse either. Now I have thought consistently about my Huskies and what will be of our first season back in the BE and will we even be able to attend games this season. When sports do come back I will check in periodically but not like before.

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
Pro sports lost their luster for me some years ago and at the risk of irking others I am really enjoying the peace of not hearing about the Red Sox vs. Yankee's garbage all summer and would not miss it if it never returned.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Ummmm mlb players agreed to play on a pro rated basis.

The owners are asking for additional cuts beyond pro rated salaries.

I stand corrected. Still think baseball is dead for this season.

Reaction Score
I think the Red Sox ownership reduced my interest in the MLB season. Seeing Mookie in Dodger blue is still disheartening.
Other than that, I can't wait for Premier League to start up today and whether or not it's behind closed doors, I am hoping that the start of the NFL season isn't impacted.

Reaction Score
Going a bit more broad, I see movies and indoor sports being two of the last areas to get back to "normal". Personally I feel much more safe going to an outdoor sporting event than an indoor.

My personal concern is right now this virus spreads when you have extended contact in larger groups indoors. So, you want to go to the GHO in a couple of weeks? I'd let a certain number of fans roam the course (I realize it isn't happening). Want to go to a yard goats game? You can figure out how to get 1500 in there safely. Want to go to an indoor movie? No way anytime soon for me.

I do think there is a great opportunity for pop up drive-in theaters. I've seen some examples around the country that work. Newer technology means you don't need the huge permanent frame for the screen. It's plenty portable nowadays. And, instead of drive up spots with speakers, it's either sent to your car radio or via bluetooth. Either way, any large parking lot or open area can fit in a few hundred cars with little overhead.
I agree with this...the biggest issue I have with the FL reopening plan IMO is letting bars open with indoor patrons or even outdoor sitting at the bar....even if people start out distanced, after a few drinks, that isn't happening.

Reaction Score
While agree that less fans means less revenue, etc, I'll play Devil's advocate...do the players make more when the owners kill it in a given year? I don't believe so, they get whatever their contract is. I.e. if the players can't participate in the upside, why should they have to participate in the downside?

Regardless, I hope they can figure it out bc watching Cornhole on the Ocho is getting old.
Just to have a debate...I'll counter.

The players do participate in the upside...Have you seen Mike Trout's contract? Cole's? Baseball is the only sport without a salary cap....players won't agree to it. It is also against the CBA to have a performance based contract because the players won't have it.

When a player like Chris Davis "magically" hits 265 with 47 HR in a walk year, and now is hitting under 200 with 15 HR 2 years in a row they still get paid!

If as they claim, the owner will loose money for every game played if no fans are present, the smartest business decision is not to play. Seems like players would rather get 0 than a %.

I find it an interesting debate and the longer it lasts the less I dive a damn.. I'm done with baseball for this year and maybe longer. I have empathy for the minor league guys not getting paid and the younger players in the show trying to make it....but the rest of them....

None of these folks are impacted the way the average person is and it's obvious neither side cares.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It is basically a calendar impossibility to do that due to the ramp up time required.

65 is probably the most without really pushing it.

This should’ve been done 2 weeks ago.

And a 65 game baseball season interests me less than a double elimination slow pitch beer league softball tournament.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Baseball has been the biggest turnoff as neither side appears to be reasonable or able to compromise
I miss baseball because of it's laid back summertime game but has it's gradual drama that can build up. I can read and do other things when it gets slow like changing pitchers etc. I am detached now with this posturing between the players and owners. I will never go through that angst again. I remember the last strike and how it hurt the game. The enormous amounts of money for both sides for a game makes you wonder how they can be so self serving and unwilling to consider the fans. It isn't family friendly and hasn't been for a long time. I hope they can see past their wallets and get something in. I can live with the regional schedule even if it is interleague. Might even be interesting with the rivalries it could possibly build on. Kind of like the NBE. Funny, kind of realize how much I dislike Philly from the years of following the NY Giants. Wouldn't take much to build a rivalry with that city and their fans!

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
It's reducing my interest in most things. These situations are a fertile breeding ground for trouble for those with depression.

Reaction Score
I stand corrected. Still think baseball is dead for this season.
Might be dead for longer than this season. Love the game but I have had it with the bickering. We pay their freakin salaries, doesn't either side owe the fans anything?

Reaction Score
Horse racing has been my go to, they can't talk so no complaining about anything from them on social media.

Reaction Score
And a 65 game baseball season interests me less than a double elimination slow pitch beer league softball tournament.
I don't understand this. The nonsensical argument comes down to this; a baseball season must be so long that each individual game is of minuscule importance, every game cannot matter too much and if every baseball game matters, then baseball doesn't matter at all.

My growing disinterest with baseball is mostly due to the season & games being so damn long that you can tune in and out with impunity. So there is now a GREATER chance that I'll be more interested in baseball than usual b/c every game will mean something ala football. And football is the most popular sport is at least partially attributable to the importance of each game. Playoff baseball is WAY more entertaining & interesting because there is carryover strategic implications as each move matters. Why not try something different and have a super important condensed regular season?

I understand the World Series winner is and will be different, but um, so what?

Reaction Score
I can't wait for Premier League to start up today
the restart of the Bundesliga was a life saver. i record every game on FS1 and FS2 and watch them during the week. i'll do the same with the Prem League now.

cant wait for the nba to restart and if nfl and/or college football dont happen i'll slip into a depression.

i'd watch at least one basketball/football/soccer game every day if i could

Reaction Score
the restart of the Bundesliga was a life saver. i record every game on FS1 and FS2 and watch them during the week. i'll do the same with the Prem League now.

cant wait for the nba to restart and if nfl and/or college football dont happen i'll slip into a depression.

i'd watch at least one basketball/football/soccer game every day if i could

The NFL and college football are like a religion in the US. Basketball, soccer, hockey, and baseball are one thing but if we don’t have football watch out lol

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
It's reducing my interest in most things. These situations are a fertile breeding ground for trouble for those with depression.
I couldn’t agree more. I’ve never been the type to have feelings of anxiety or depression, and I feel like I’ve encountered both recently. However, I am totally self-aware and I have a tremendous support system, and will get through this. I am worried for others though.

Reaction Score
I want EPL, college football, and college basketball more than ever.

Reaction Score
I couldn’t agree more. I’ve never been the type to have feelings of anxiety or depression, and I feel like I’ve encountered both recently. However, I am totally self-aware and I have a tremendous support system, and will get through this. I am worried for others though.
Excellent sentiments and a reason for every sport to return in whatever iteration is most plausible and sustainable. Even if you don't care about baseball in general or due to the shortened season, it is selfish to wish it away when others will truly benefit from the distraction. I still watch every Met season thru my father's eyes and know each spring brings hope eternal.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom