Has the pandemic reduced your interest in professional sports? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Has the pandemic reduced your interest in professional sports?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Agree, but I've lost the anticipation of them returning.
It's weird, right? I thought that I would be jonesing way more than I am. I think that I've only watched one UConn game replay, too. I am surprised. I think that you are right though. Once everything starts up again, I'll be all in.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Absolutely don't miss them.

Realistically, outside of UConn football and men's basketball I really don't watch any sports end to end. It's more background noise. If something exciting happens and I miss it, I hit the rewind.

NFL playoffs, NBA conf finals and championships and NCAA Sweet 16 and beyond is really all I watch any more. I'll watch MLB if Sox are doing good- not a bandwagon fan but only watch if it's compelling.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
As a lifelong Pats fan and a current resident of Colorado, I'm really looking forward to watching how the Pats' and Broncos' young QBs preform this season. The only other professional sports I pay any attention to are cycling (mainly the Spring Classics which will actually be Fall Classics this year), and Formula 1. Despite my love of college BB, I basically have zero interest in the NBA. And you couldn't pay me to watch an entire MLB game on TV. I can tolerate MLB games when I'm in the stadium.

Last edited:

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I think there is a strong correlation between pro sports interest, at present, and the lack of get-togethers. Once people start getting together en masse again, what else will we talk about? :)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Going a bit more broad, I see movies and indoor sports being two of the last areas to get back to "normal". Personally I feel much more safe going to an outdoor sporting event than an indoor.

My personal concern is right now this virus spreads when you have extended contact in larger groups indoors. So, you want to go to the GHO in a couple of weeks? I'd let a certain number of fans roam the course (I realize it isn't happening). Want to go to a yard goats game? You can figure out how to get 1500 in there safely. Want to go to an indoor movie? No way anytime soon for me.

I do think there is a great opportunity for pop up drive-in theaters. I've seen some examples around the country that work. Newer technology means you don't need the huge permanent frame for the screen. It's plenty portable nowadays. And, instead of drive up spots with speakers, it's either sent to your car radio or via bluetooth. Either way, any large parking lot or open area can fit in a few hundred cars with little overhead.

Reaction Score
* Really missing baseball but not super hopeful on how that will work out.

* As a Rangers fan, I'm thrilled the way this season turned out. Got a 1st rounder for a bad contract and got into the playoffs. Huge for such a young, rebuilding team.

* NBA each year my interest has gone down and haven't watched a full NBA game in at least three years. It's just not an enjoyable product, to me.

* NFL is normal. Now that the draft is over and free agency has winded down, it's the part of the year I don't think about it.

* Spending way more time following college basketball news, especially transfers, recruits, etc. I've kept all my notes on a google doc which I'd be happy to share once the season starts.

TerryBoyz

Get four fruits!
Reaction Score
This is an intestine thread. How about sports radio? I had very little interest in tuning in. I did put it in the other day and I thought... I am passing the time waiting for sports to return by listening to people talk about when sports will return. I need to find a better use of my time.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Miss going to Yankee games along with having them on the TV most evenings after dinner. I was hopeful that they'd get it rolling soon but it's not looking good.

I'm drooling all over myself in anticipation of UConn hoops especially after how we ended up last year and now with some solid newcomers. It would be a big downer to not have a college basketball season.

I'm a Pats fan and am a little worried about life after Brady so my interest in the NFL this year may be more for fantasy purposes assuming there is a season. And I'll watch the NHL and NBA playoffs depending on who's playing but not with great interest.

Reaction Score
I think the question has another angle that no one has hit on yet.

My interest in professional sports in the normal world vs my interest in these shortened seasons with expanded postseasons.

I'm very excited if the NFL can play a normal season. I was super excited for the Mets this year and now couldn't care less about some 70 game season and gimmicky tourney.

So, that said, I have reduced (almost no) interest in the completion of the NBA, NHL and MLB 2020 season and I'm just looking forward to 2021, hopefully.

Reaction Score
Not a huge golf fan but will probably watch the Travelers golf tourney over the next couple weeks due to the stacked lineup

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I miss them some. But this is not a big sports time of year for me anyway.

UConn MBB: very excited to see this team.
NFL: very excited to see the Patriots with Stidham.
Baseball: irritated with players and owners both. The season is too long as it is.
UConn FB: I'll watch some games
NBA: could care less about continued season unless Celtics make the final
NHL: Think Bruins have the best team in the league, so I'm a bit more excited for this.
MLS: Revs seem better than in the past, so I'm curious and would watch if games were on.
Have had more interest in European football than in the past.

Reaction Score
Let me start by saying I'm a former athlete (jock) and loved all sports.

However outside of our Huskies, I think this pandemic 'cured' me of my sports addiction. The golf Tourney was on this past weekend and I didn't even peek. The NBA, MLB and NFL are trying to get back on track but I've not even shown any interest in the updates or following the news. I may check ESPN once or twice a week and that's only their website.

I think this experience has forced me to look for alternative ways to occupy my time and mind, and perhaps create/participate in my own activities. I guess the best way of putting it, is that I am in no rush to sit in front of my TV for 2-3 hours or more watching men play a game. At least in the spring/summer.

Of course this may be temporary, cuz by virtue of being a member on this forum I'm a fanatic but still its changed to only following our Huskies (right now). I really think I've changed though, because I'm not missing it as much as I thought I would.

Not one of us knows yet. Is watching sports an addiction that you can break, and we've all had our cold turkey and are better? Or is it like heroin, and changes your brain stem, and when it's back on we'll go right back to our old habits?

I have not a clue. But I know that when Tottenham Hotspur host Manchester United in about 72 hours, it will be the first thing on television I will be fully emotionally intensively inested in for three months -- since UConn closed its regular season in hoops -- and I can't wait to have that feeling again.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Ummmm mlb players agreed to play on a pro rated basis.

The owners are asking for additional cuts beyond pro rated salaries.

Those salaries are based on revenues including paying fans and concessions. No fans and no concessions means way less revenue for everyone.

Reaction Score
Let me start by saying I'm a former athlete (jock) and loved all sports.

However outside of our Huskies, I think this pandemic 'cured' me of my sports addiction. The golf Tourney was on this past weekend and I didn't even peek. The NBA, MLB and NFL are trying to get back on track but I've not even shown any interest in the updates or following the news. I may check ESPN once or twice a week and that's only their website.

I think this experience has forced me to look for alternative ways to occupy my time and mind, and perhaps create/participate in my own activities. I guess the best way of putting it, is that I am in no rush to sit in front of my TV for 2-3 hours or more watching men play a game. At least in the spring/summer.

Of course this may be temporary, cuz by virtue of being a member on this forum I'm a fanatic but still its changed to only following our Huskies (right now). I really think I've changed though, because I'm not missing it as much as I thought I would.
its reduced my interest in life. :(

Reaction Score
I was a sports junkie in my younger days but because of the hype, $ and the knuckleheads that play the game I have cooled over the years. The only sports that I have remained true to are baseball and college basketball. The labor issues in baseball have totally turned me off. So that leaves me with UConn hoops. I will never give that up. So my answer is, I don't miss professional sports in the least. My marriage is better, my garden is better and my health is better.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Those salaries are based on revenues including paying fans and concessions. No fans and no concessions means way less revenue for everyone.

Mlb contracts are not tied to revenues. They are the only sport not to.

the Q

Reaction Score
I was a sports junkie in my younger days but because of the hype, $ and the knuckleheads that play the game I have cooled over the years. The only sports that I have remained true to are baseball and college basketball. The labor issues in baseball have totally turned me off. So that leaves me with UConn hoops. I will never give that up. So my answer is, I don't miss professional sports in the least. My marriage is better, my garden is better and my health is better.

I’m the same as you.

And now, honestly beyond UConn bb and fb, mlb playoffs, and March madness, I can miss most of it and be just fine.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
While agree that less fans means less revenue, etc, I'll play Devil's advocate...do the players make more when the owners kill it in a given year? I don't believe so, they get whatever their contract is. I.e. if the players can't participate in the upside, why should they have to participate in the downside?

Regardless, I hope they can figure it out bc watching Cornhole on the Ocho is getting old.

the Q

Reaction Score
While agree that less fans means less revenue, etc, I'll play Devil's advocate...do the players make more when the owners kill it in a given year? I don't believe so, they get whatever their contract is. I.e. if the players can't participate in the upside, why should they have to participate in the downside?

Regardless, I hope they can figure it out bc watching Cornhole on the Ocho is getting old.

Yes. Players are walled off from profits, but now everyone wants them to socialize The losses.

The owners take the (relatively) small risk. This year the risk became reality. The players have contracts for specific dollars.

Even the WNBA isn’t pro rating salaries despite playing 1/3 the amount of games.

This one really shouldn’t have been that hard. The owners are using a pandemic to try and break the union, and it has backfired

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Yes. Players are walled off from profits, but now everyone wants them to socialize The losses.

The owners take the (relatively) small risk. This year the risk became reality. The players have contracts for specific dollars.

Even the WNBA isn’t pro rating salaries despite playing 1/3 the amount of games.

This one really shouldn’t have been that hard. The owners are using a pandemic to try and break the union, and it has backfired

I couldn't care less if they play a partial season or not. With baseball if you aren't playing at least 100 games it's basically an exhibition.

I have zero doubt owners will come through this season healthier than players. No season always hurts the players more. Superstars and vets are fine. Younger players and minor leaguers who are the bulk of the roster get hammered.

the Q

Reaction Score
I couldn't care less if they play a partial season or not. With baseball if you aren't playing at least 100 games it's basically an exhibition.

I have zero doubt owners will come through this season healthier than players. No season always hurts the players more. Superstars and vets are fine. Younger players and minor leaguers who are the bulk of the roster get hammered.

It is basically a calendar impossibility to do that due to the ramp up time required.

65 is probably the most without really pushing it.

This should’ve been done 2 weeks ago.

Reaction Score
It is basically a calendar impossibility to do that due to the ramp up time required.

65 is probably the most without really pushing it.

This should’ve been done 2 weeks ago.
Until the owners decide to actually negotiate I don't expect there to be any season

the Q

Reaction Score
Until the owners decide to actually negotiate I don't expect there to be any season

The problem is they are running out of time. There aren’t enough days left to give the players the number of games they really want.

Reaction Score
The problem is they are running out of time. There aren’t enough days left to give the players the number of games they really want.
I think it's a ploy. The owners are stalling until the only option the players have is accepting the 50 games the owners are asking for

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom