Has P. dug a hole that UConn can never get out of? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Has P. dug a hole that UConn can never get out of?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Addazio is no coaching genius and in a three year window he gave Temple a pulse and has BC looking respectable....this too can be fixed with right hire. We are down, way down...but we are not out.

I think Wards will have time to find the right guy. This is the first major decision of his tenure. Extending Geno and hiring KO were givens. Warde's chance to put his finger prints on this program is now.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Not to get all program Doomsday or anything, but it could take over a decade to recover from the Pasqualoni era. Syracuse is still struggling to recover from theirs and they had the benefit of being in a BCS conference. Warde's coaching hire is the single most important decision in the university's conference quest. Not only do we need to get back to bowl eligibility, but my guess is that the hire will need to attract the thousands of fans who are dumping their tickets in the PP era back to the Rent. If Warde stumbles, like Gross did with hiring Greg Robinson, then we may never recover from this given our AAC affiliation.

Reaction Score
We could be. How is the new coach going to attract good recruits after this disaster of a year when all our regional competitors are now in the Big Ten and ACC?

Not good.

Called this a long time ago.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't Rich Rod look better than PP now, for all those holier than thousand who didn't want UConn associated with someone like him.

Reaction Score
He has been surrealistly awful. It defies description.

Has he brought the program to such a black hole that it can never reemerge? Will it take two years? Ten Years? Fifty? Longer?

Has he brought the program to a place where they are Indiana or Duke or URI? The lack of accountability for the last three years says that UConn doesn't really care about football.

The real scary question is whether the basketball and other athletic programs will become collateral damage in this mess.

This is clearly the risk that we warned about at the end of last year when the apologistas were b--ch--g about lack of talent and contract money etc. So the cost of keeping these guys could be higher than the cost of making a change? No flipping kidding!

Reaction Score
UConn can get out of this hole, but he might have but us back to the era where we were recruiting out of trailers.

Reaction Score
Don't mind ASweet. He's an Internet tough guy who got his lunch money taken away I high school. The only thing soft is his jimmy.

Reaction Score
Don't mind ASweet. He's an Internet tough guy who got his lunch money taken away I high school. The only thing soft is his jimmy.

Some lawyer you are. Not worth the dime you get paid. You couldn't be more wrong.

If your too weak kneed to face the fact we just lost 41-12 to Buffalo step aside and let the women take charge around here.

Reaction Score
Maybe you go head to Storrs and apply for a job. Your acting like Baghdad Bob shilling away on behalf of the players. Warde could use you to fight back on the PR front over the next couple days.

This coach is a disgrace and the players do not escape blame for the fact they got their a$$es handed to them by Buffalo. Good thing we don't play Stony Brook. They took Buffalo to several OT's.

The players aren't the ones who kept calling runs up the middle on almost every single first down in the first half. They're not the ones who, unlike the FREAKING BUFFALO COACHES, did not have the stones to pass on first down, throw a shovel pass, a pass off a reverse (yeah I know I didn't work). We can fire the 85 scholarship players or 2 coaches. It's lot of easier to do the latter. If the interim or new coach finds quitters in practices, off season workouts of spring practice, then run 'em off. But P and his buddy have completely extinguished the fire these guys had three-four years ago.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Not to get all program Doomsday or anything, but it could take over a decade to recover from the Pasqualoni era.

Let me put your mind at ease, my friend. It would take 1 day to recover. Literally 1 day. I can say that with confidence because I saw the crowd in the Rent against Michigan, and it's clear that the UConn fanbase is pleading for any type of excitement to come. Buzz around the interim coach and rallying behind the players will instantly give the fanbase the shot in the arm that we need. Couple that with an upcoming game against USF, which even now, is "winnable", and you are back in business. Not ten years....1 day...

Reaction Score
A good coach can turn around a program quickly. It's getting the fans back that will be an issue.

Reaction Score
What 'pool' are you talking about? McHugh wanted P, Hathaway got him. End of freaking story.

Right. Same 'soft' players as under RE. Guys who almost overcame coaching to get a win against Michigan STFU

The Michigan game was smoke and mirrors. We had a turnover happy Michigan QB who tried to hand us the game, but our offense with 200 yards of total offense and a killer INT decided to give it back. We were the same team last week.

Reaction Score
The Michigan game was smoke and mirrors. We had a turnover happy Michigan QB who tried to hand us the game, but our offense with 200 yards of total offense and a killer INT decided to give it back. We were the same team last week.

Maybe on offense. Defense another story.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
What 'pool' are you talking about? McHugh wanted P, Hathaway got him. End of freaking story.

Right. Same 'soft' players as under RE. Guys who almost overcame coaching to get a win against Michigan STFU

makes you wonder if McHugh was hiring based on talent or of friendship? if friendship then McHugh should go too

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It is hard to turn a failing program around. It is close to impossible to do it in a midmajor conference. Impossible? No. But the likelihood of recovering from Pasqualoni is incredibly low.

Reaction Score
Maybe you go head to Storrs and apply for a job. Your acting like Baghdad Bob shilling away on behalf of the players. Warde could use you to fight back on the PR front over the next couple days.

This coach is a disgrace and the players do not escape blame for the fact they got their a$$es handed to them by Buffalo. Good thing we don't play Stony Brook. They took Buffalo to several OT's.

If you had to play for these coaches you'd have quit a long time ago. You have no idea what they have had to put up with. To make it this long is a miracle.

Walk in their shoes first. I'll say it again...you have no idea what they have endured. It's not even close to a bad situation. It's far beyond.

Reaction Score
Addazio is no coaching genius and in a three year window he gave Temple a pulse and has BC looking respectable....this too can be fixed with right hire. We are down, way down...but we are not out.

I think Wards will have time to find the right guy. This is the first major decision of his tenure. Extending Geno and hiring KO were givens. Warde's chance to put his finger prints on this program is now.

Addazio is a psycho. I watched one game at Temple where he nearly slugged one of his assistant coaches who was trying to calm him down from yelling at one of the refs. Not the kind of example you want. That kind of nonsense wears out quickly.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
It is hard to turn a failing program around. It is close to impossible to do it in a midmajor conference. Impossible? No. But the likelihood of recovering from Pasqualoni is incredibly low.
All we have to do is win the conference a few times, not win *&^ing super bowl or land on the moon. Winning the AAC is not too much to ask for from a new coach.

Reaction Score
I think we can dig out of it, but we now play in an even worse conference than the Big east so I'm not expecting us to be going to a bcs type bowl (I know about the playoff system) ever again.

But yes, the right coach can build this football program back up to where it was. It's really all about coaching and getting the most out of the talent.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
All we have to do is win the conference a few times, not win *&^ing super bowl or land on the moon. Winning the AAC is not too much to ask for from a new coach.

This ^^^

We are in a conference with Temple, Memphis, SMU, Tulane (soon), and now inexplicably bad, USF. You could essentially be bowl eligible every year simply by being in the conference. Then, if you could hire a coach who could actually win his 1-AA game and his MAC game, we're going 8-4 every year at a minimum. That's a good deal for a coach to come here and also make 1.6 million dollars in the process...

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This ^^^

We are in a conference with Temple, Memphis, SMU, Tulane (soon), and now inexplicably bad, USF. You could essentially be bowl eligible every year simply by being in the conference. Then, if you could hire a coach who could actually win his 1-AA game and his MAC game, we're going 8-4 every year at a minimum. That's a good deal for a coach to come here and also make 1.6 million dollars in the process...

Win the MAC game? We are done with guarantee games with MAC schools. Those are home and homes for now on, and we are going to lose our share. The only guarantee games UConn will be playing are where we are the sellers, not the buyers.

The 4th place team in the MWC went 6-7. That is our future. I think you guys are completely in denial about how comprehensively screwed we are in the AAC. I wish I could be.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Win the MAC game? We are done with guarantee games with MAC schools. Those are home and homes for now on, and we are going to lose our share. The only guarantee games UConn will be playing are where we are the sellers, not the buyers.

The 4th place team in the MWC went 6-7. That is our future. I think you guys are completely in denial about how comprehensively screwed we are in the AAC. I wish I could be.

Yes, win the MAC game. That was a realistic expectation even when we first made the jump to 1-A. In fact, that may have been the ONLY expectation when we made the jump. It was what, eight straight against Buffalo before tonight? Or if you want to make it UMass. Hell, the expectation was also to beat Western Michigan until PP showed up.

Nelson, I KNOW you love to say we're dead and the dream is over and close down the football program and all of the other bull$#it that you spew here, but UConn is perfectly capable of creating and sustaining a winning football program. If you don't believe that is true....stop watching...

Reaction Score
I hope the HS coaches in CT can just as quickly write a letter to the UConn admin and fans suggesting their previous endorsement of PP, in hind sight, was in error, and for the sake of UConn football, as well as developing a class of talented HS players, programs, and CT football fans at all levels, GET some NEW coaches.

We are deficient in a number of areas.......coaching, talent, recruiting. As much as I can hope for better results in all areas, it will be very difficult, and perhaps even a fantasy, with the moniker of AAC and UConn football, to get a highly regarded coach to accept an offer to coach this team in this league.

I've never seen a UConn team play so poorly at any level (Div. II, 1-aa, BCS). And now we have a team that has become one of the worst organizations under the current BCS standards, and this has happened when playing in a league that has as much substance as wet tissue paper.

I pray that Ward can pull this off, put we may need a lot of divine intervention for it to happen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom