Happy that Donovan Williams is playing now! | The Boneyard

Happy that Donovan Williams is playing now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am not concerned about burning his Red Shirt because he won't be starting as a rookie in 2017. He has three full games plus lots of 1st team reps, etc. to prepare for 2017. BS is a serviceable good quarterback and I like having him for a backup but DW has the potential to be a real dual threat game changer. I am also tired of losing good QB's who aren't given a chance to play. 2017 QB recruit Jordan McAfee looks like a similar player, ( size, skill wise) to DW. If JM Red Shirts next year then he will have a chance to start (if he doesn't beat out DW beforehand) two full years.

I simply cannot stomach another year of watching paint dry! I am counting on Donovan Williams to bring a dynamic style of play to the QB position visa vi, Greg Ward, PJ Walker and Quinton Flowers. 6 + years of booooring offense needs to end once and for all!

He seems like a mature confident young man. I believe the coaches understand the importance of developing him mentally, physically and emotionally. They are not throwing him to the wolves.

Reaction Score
Can you take a quick test for me? Can you go to the nearest window and take a look up?

What color do you see?

To each his own. This team is on life support and the fact that we are talking about this decision is a good thing!
In case you haven't noticed our football team is in the crapper and changes HAD to be made NOW!

These kids go to all kinds of camps and have more training then you can believe so they are not your average freshman.
Just because Tim Boyle didn't work out doesn't mean we can never start a true freshmen. The O line needs to protect the QB. Every QB at UCONN regardless of class has dealt with poor line play.

But FYI - Alabama, Texas and Georgia all started TRUE Freshman QB's this year! It does happen and these three are having excellent years as True Freshmen QB's. I don't care if it's the last three games. Furthermore the fact that it was the 10th game, he really wasn't a freshman anyway. It's a great time for DW to get his feet wet. His parents and HS coach think so to so too!

College football: How freshman quarterbacks shined in Week 1

TRUE FROSH QB STATS -

Shane Buechele - Texas 148.3 QB rating Shane Buechele
Jalen Hurts - Alabama 138.2 QB rating Jalen Hurts
Jacob Eason - 117.2 QB rating Jacob Eason

Now bend down between your legs, look up between your cheeks and what color do you see? LOL!

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
To each his own. This team is on life support and the fact that we are talking about this decision is a good thing!
In case you haven't noticed our football team is in the crapper and changes HAD to be made NOW!

These kids go to all kinds of camps and have more training then you can believe so they are not your average freshman.
Just because Tim Boyle didn't work out doesn't mean we can never start a true freshmen. The O line needs to protect the QB. Every QB at UCONN regardless of class has dealt with poor line play.

But FYI - Alabama, Texas and Georgia all started TRUE Freshman QB's this year! It does happen and these three are having excellent years as True Freshmen QB's. I don't care if it's the last three games. Furthermore the fact that it was the 10th game, he really wasn't a freshman anyway. It's a great time for DW to get his feet wet. His parents and HS coach think so to so too!

College football: How freshman quarterbacks shined in Week 1

TRUE FROSH QB STATS -

Shane Buechele - Texas 148.3 QB rating Shane Buechele
Jalen Hurts - Alabama 138.2 QB rating Jalen Hurts
Jacob Eason - 117.2 QB rating Jacob Eason

Now bend down between your legs, look up between your cheeks and what color do you see? LOL!

You should take a look at exactly what I quoted from your original post.

The rest of your post is a bunch of strawmen you've built and your logic knocking them down isn't even worth poking a million holes in.

Reaction Score
You should take a look at exactly what I quoted from your original post.

The rest of your post is a bunch of strawmen you've built and your logic knocking them down isn't even worth poking a million holes in.

I've clearly stated my position and rational for burning DW's Red shirt. It's ok if you disagree, you are entitled to your opinion. Just say so. The final outcome will gives us the real answer. Enough with the strawman BS. Give me a break.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I've clearly stated my position and rational for burning DW's Red shirt. It's ok if you disagree, you are entitled to your opinion. Just say so. The final outcome will gives us the real answer. Enough with the strawman BS. Give me a break.

Obviously I disagree. The idea he is ready is absurd - we saw the game.

Reaction Score
If you think that destroying what could have been an epic season for Noel Thomas is worth it? Sure.

If your not kidding and you have to be, I need to say that if UCONN football has fallen so low that we are now playing for individual records then I am done. F --- it, I'll just join my son in law and become an Alabama fan. Going out to dinner with my wife and friends. Have a nice weekend.

Reaction Score
It doesn't matter what we think. The redshirt was burned and he's starting the last 2 games. Was he ready vs Temple? No. Will he surprise and go wild vs BC given his taste of live action and a bye week to prepare? Perhaps. I personally wasn't that impressed with either his running ability (seemed to lack electricity in his style) or his arm. He has a long "backswing" and not a snap release. I hope I'm wrong. We'll see in Chestnut Hill. Maybe he'll have the game that goes down in Husky lore. Or maybe he won't.

Reaction Score
JMO but starting Williams reeked of desperation by Diaco. It was something he could point to in the media and to the fans that were asking what was he doing to try to turn this thing around? Putting a very raw freshman on the field behind that line? Yikes. Doing it off a short week with a new OC and against tough opponent? Double yikes. The staff needs to be very careful about how they handle things going forward or they could ruin this kid long term. If he gets hit a million times, or turns the ball over a ton because he's not seeing the field, it could do a lot of harm to his development. You could end up with a QB who won't stand in the pocket, or sees ghosts in the secondary.

Reaction Score
If your not kidding and you have to be, I need to say that if UCONN football has fallen so low that we are now playing for individual records then I am done. F --- it, I'll just join my son in law and become an Alabama fan. Going out to dinner with my wife and friends. Have a nice weekend.

If we were deciding to not try and win our final 3 games and make a bowl, what else were we playing for? Playing for next year or playing for individual records is pretty much a toss up for me.

I would have preferred that we actually tried to win the game.

Reaction Score
It doesn't matter what we think. The redshirt was burned and he's starting the last 2 games. Was he ready vs Temple? No. Will he surprise and go wild vs BC given his taste of live action and a bye week to prepare? Perhaps. I personally wasn't that impressed with either his running ability (seemed to lack electricity in his style) or his arm. He has a long "backswing" and not a snap release. I hope I'm wrong. We'll see in Chestnut Hill. Maybe he'll have the game that goes down in Husky lore. Or maybe he won't.

Uh oh. If Nostical doesn't love him he must be terrible. :)

Reaction Score
I wonder if the meeting Diaco talks about was "I want to play" (or I am going to transfer)?

The only positive that I see is hopefully in these next few games he will fix his fumbling problem. The board would have a collective aneurysm if Game 1 2017 he fumbles 2x or more on runs.

Reaction Score
Just opinion but I don't think he's ready. If BS was banged up should have brought in Anderson and kept the young man in a safe place on the sidelines.

Reaction Score
I was told that DWs Father is a former Marine Officer and toured in Afghanistan hunting for bad guys not sure you want to bark up that tree!

Reaction Score
I am not concerned about burning his Red Shirt because he won't be starting as a rookie in 2017. He has three full games plus lots of 1st team reps, etc. to prepare for 2017. BS is a serviceable good quarterback and I like having him for a backup but DW has the potential to be a real dual threat game changer. I am also tired of losing good QB's who aren't given a chance to play. 2017 QB recruit Jordan McAfee looks like a similar player, ( size, skill wise) to DW. If JM Red Shirts next year then he will have a chance to start (if he doesn't beat out DW beforehand) two full years.

I simply cannot stomach another year of watching paint dry! I am counting on Donovan Williams to bring a dynamic style of play to the QB position visa vi, Greg Ward, PJ Walker and Quinton Flowers. 6 + years of booooring offense needs to end once and for all!

He seems like a mature confident young man. I believe the coaches understand the importance of developing him mentally, physically and emotionally. They are not throwing him to the wolves.

Agree with this post. The best players should be on the field ASAP. We already know what the other guys can do. The sooner this happens the sooner the team will be better. The experience DW gets against some pretty good competition will be invaluable. And, if McAfee is better he should play right away next year. The program is on life support, this is not desperation at all. It is simply trying to be better as soon as possible. Waiting 4 years until he's a red shirt senior is crazy talk.

Whatever interest there is left in the fan base is mostly around seeing how he will do. Just like how bad the Yankees were to watch until they started giving the young guys a chance. I'll be watching just to see hopeful signs. Diaco or no Diaco, the games can be events that people really enjoy. The whole tailgating college atmosphere is great - we just need a better product.

Reaction Score
Jimmy we are a match made in heaven or hell whatever your preference. One things for sure if were talking we're trying.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
How do people claim they want the best players on the field and support this move. DID YOU NOT SEE THE FRIGGING GAME LAST WEEK?

Reaction Score
Yes we did my angry old friend. However we clearly heard a former UT football coach state that the future has arrived. Oh I forgot you have that "I know more than the Generals" mentality. Not! Cataracts and knee pains old man.

Reaction Score
How do people claim they want the best players on the field and support this move. DID YOU NOT SEE THE FRIGGING GAME LAST WEEK?
Yes, I was at the game. The best QB, Punter, Field Goal Kicker and Reciever wearing number 5 were on the field. Can't vouch for the other positions :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom