Hamilton signs with Sam Goldfeder | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Hamilton signs with Sam Goldfeder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Oh, I get it. My point is that if you are Emeka and want to take advantage of the school and push yourself they are there. If you say I want to ball and have no intention to graduate, they have a path for that too. 3 week classes, summer classes, online classes... I took classes all year long and thats where they stuff these guys.

The viewpoint I have like most others is - how 1 more year - could be the difference for him.

I wish him well though, hope he is the #1 pick.

Reaction Score
I don't think it's dumb, nor do I think he will regret it. He is a legit NBA talent, it's all up to him how much he works to improve. Maybe officially signing with an agent is the incentive he needs. College is not for everybody.
He has some NBA talent but he's nowhere near an NBA level player at this point. He's not going to be a first round draft pick so no guaranteed money and it's incredibly hard to make it into the league as a D-leaguer or late second round pick. He's most likely going to have to learn a foreign language to continue his dream, if that's what he wants it's not a bad decision.

Reaction Score
He has some NBA talent but he's nowhere near an NBA level player at this point. He's not going to be a first round draft pick so no guaranteed money and it's incredibly hard to make it into the league as a D-leaguer or late second round pick. He's most likely going to have to learn a foreign language to continue his dream, if that's what he wants it's not a bad decision.

How could you possibly make the statement he is not going to be a first round pick? Because
some mock draft says so? It's a weak draft, it's not out of the realm of possibilities.

Reaction Score
How could you possibly make the statement he is not going to be a first round pick? Because
some mock draft says so? It's a weak draft, it's not out of the realm of possibilities.
It's pretty much out of the realm of possibility. There are 50 better prospects better than him not counting euros. Scouts have seen him quite a bit , especially @ the Nike camp in 2015 where he was invisible among his 'Peers'.

I also don't agree with the premise of him turning into a lotto pick after 1 year, Denzel valentines don't grow on trees.

Reaction Score
Time to hand over the keys to Adams, Gilbert, and Larrier. They will be our big 3 for the next few years and I'm looking forward to it.

Reaction Score
I think he's giving up a lot of money, but I don't know why he might do this.

It's a shame, Adams and Hamilton should have been a fun team next season. But at the same time, I didn't get the sense that Hamilton's heart was here, like I do with Adams, Brimah, and Purvis, and I still think Purvis and Brimah stay.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
If he just wanted to play professionally somewhere he could've left after last season. I don't think his stock improved much this season compared to last and he lost a year of earning pro money by staying for his sophomore year. The NBA had to have been the goal and I just think he's making a really bad choice.

Reaction Score
It's pretty much out of the realm of possibility. There are 50 better prospects better than him not counting euros. Scouts have seen him quite a bit , especially @ the Nike camp in 2015 where he was invisible among his 'Peers'.

I also don't agree with the premise of him turning into a lotto pick after 1 year, Denzel valentines don't grow on trees.

All it takes is one team to fall in love with his potential.

Reaction Score
All it takes is one team to fall in love with his potential.
“I got to tell you watching the conference tournament and NCAA games, I loved the way he played compared to the beginning and the middle of the year,” a scout from an Eastern Conference team said.

“I think someone will take him in the first round,” another Eastern Conference scout said.

Reaction Score
At first I thought this was a really bad decision by Daniel Hamilton. However the more I thought about it the more I figured it was the best decision for him. He never seemed to be really happy as a college student and I don't recall ever seeing him smile during a game. It seemed like he was just doing what he needed to do until he could play professionally . I wish him the best although I would have loved to have him come back for his junior year.

Reaction Score
It really isn't as bad a decision as everyone is making it out to be. At first I thought it was because he needs more polish to his game, but this draft is pretty damn weak and next years is gonna be loaded. Makes sense for him. He could've played alot better next year and not made up much draft ground because of the talent in next years draft

Reaction Score

This is sort of my feeling. It's always the "one more year" that's going to turn a kid into a lotto pick but maybe Hamilton's NBA prospects aren't all that great either year.

Reaction Score
When I first heard it, I was shocked. But after thinking about it a little longer, I'm not terribly surprised.

Remember, this was a guy who had to be talked out of transferring last spring. For all the jokes about him de-committing and going to UCLA, he clearly was never fully invested in being here.

The line about helping his family is bogus -- he has two older brothers playing basketball, one already in the NBA. I would have bought that if, say, Boat, had left after his junior year. But not Hamilton.

There are a few ways to look at this for the future of our program:
- For next year, our ceiling just got cut down by a bit; we'll now have major question marks at both the 3 and the 4
- On the other hand, we'll be able to more quickly move past the disappointment of the last 2 years and get on with the Jalen Adams (or Alterique Gilbert) Era
- Hamilton had a much better chance of sticking in the NBA if he left after a potentially excellent junior campaign rather than a mediocre sophomore year. We're now going on 4+ years without having an impact-NBA-player drafted; if we continue to lose that cachet and reputation, it will hurt recruiting

Reaction Score
When I first heard it, I was shocked. But after thinking about it a little longer, I'm not terribly surprised.

Remember, this was a guy who had to be talked out of transferring last spring. For all the jokes about him de-committing and going to UCLA, he clearly was never fully invested in being here.

The line about helping his family is bogus -- he has two older brothers playing basketball, one already in the NBA. I would have bought that if, say, Boat, had left after his junior year. But not Hamilton.

There are a few ways to look at this for the future of our program:
- For next year, our ceiling just got cut down by a bit; we'll now have major question marks at both the 3 and the 4
- On the other hand, we'll be able to more quickly move past the disappointment of the last 2 years and get on with the Jalen Adams (or Alterique Gilbert) Era
- Hamilton had a much better chance of sticking in the NBA if he left after a potentially excellent junior campaign rather than a mediocre sophomore year. We're now going on 4+ years without having an impact-NBA-player drafted; if we continue to lose that cachet and reputation, it will hurt recruiting
Can you provide a link for this?

Reaction Score
Can you provide a link for this?

I remember last year there were rumors (by reputable insiders on this board) that Hamilton very nearly left after last year, and was gone until KO told him to stick it out. When asked if it would have been for the NBA, it was implied that it was not.

Of course, none of this would have been discussed openly by anyone directly involved, so maybe it should be taken with a grain of salt.

c29328

On Smoko
Reaction Score
Good luck to him. I enjoyed watching him play here and I support his right to go and try and make a living. It's his life and I figure he will make a significant living now or if he waited a year. He doesn't owe us anything other than get his classes done.

Reaction Score

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
If he plays in Australia at least he won't need to learn a foreign language. He will need to learn to like beetroot on his hamburgers though.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
This decision certainly makes sense after how the season went. It always seemed like he cared more about showcasing himself than winning. He better not screw our APT or he's dead to me like Gavin Edwards.

I thought Edwards was okay on the APR though since he played professionally. I don't see why he couldn't get those last six credits though at some point since 2010.

Reaction Score
@Tenspro2002 ah, never participated in that thread. He was never trying to transfer and sit out a year , he was weighing the options of possibly declaring. Both him and his family. That insider was sorta right just not the transfer part

Reaction Score
I have a hard time blaming anyone leaving college early when they have the option to make money. Maybe he's completely aware that he may go undrafted and playing in Europe is more attractive than spending another year in college. Which is a perfectly acceptable decision

C

Chief00

From what I hear he did not like the academic side of things. I will say this Calhoun usually got good draft outcomes for non senior players - regardless of who gets the credit or fault the jury is still out on KO successfully influencing that.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Wow! Bummed
Wish him luck but this is not a smart move. I guess the decision was made when he signed up for only 2 courses this semester. I didn't think that would qualify you to play basketball, but it sure looks like an exit strategy.
How he finishes out those 2 courses will tell a lot about how much he bleeds blue. It is rightfully, his decision to go after money. Hurting us on the way out the door would be a big negative to me.

BTW, we now have 0 rebounds.

Reaction Score
@Tenspro2002 ah, never participated in that thread. He was never trying to transfer and sit out a year , he was weighing the options of possibly declaring. Both him and his family. That insider was sorta right just not the transfer part

OK, thanks for clarifying.

Still, I think it's accurate to say that Hamilton basically had one foot out the door as soon as he stepped on campus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom