Hamidou Diallo Graduates | Page 50 | The Boneyard

Hamidou Diallo Graduates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The idea that hamidou would turn down a first round promise for a year in college @ cuse, uk or even here, is weird to me. He will get a first round promise too, you don't get scouts from basically every team in the league at your games for a second round selection. Man we could have used this kid NOW.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
The idea that hamidou would turn down a first round promise for a year in college @ cuse, uk or even here, is weird to me. He will get a first round promise too, you don't get scouts from basically every team in the league at your games for a second round selection. Man we could have used this kid NOW.
Normally when it comes to NBA stock id agree with you, but I really don't think Diallo is there yet. The pieces are clear and obvious, so that's going to attract scouts. But I really think this kid is much rawer than we all believe him to be and his videos make him seem, and I think based on his comments that he has a good head on his shoulders and he realizes this.

For this reason I think he knows going in the late first without going to college may be good for his pocket right now, but that extra year of income won't offset the high likelihood that he will be underpaid on that crucial second NBA contract if he doesn't develop fast enough, which will set him up for a career of being underpaid. If he doesn't learn how to play before entering the league, he could become the next Ben McLemore or James Young (both guys went to college but left before developing a skilled game, and now have struggled to stick), or he could really have "it" and become the next TMac without needing any college development, but the odds of that are slim. I expect to see HD at college for at least one year, where he goes I have no idea.

Reaction Score
Normally when it comes to NBA stock id agree with you, but I really don't think Diallo is there yet. The pieces are clear and obvious, so that's going to attract scouts. But I really think this kid is much rawer than we all believe him to be and his videos make him seem, and I think based on his comments that he has a good head on his shoulders and he realizes this.

For this reason I think he knows going in the late first without going to college may be good for his pocket right now, but that extra year of income won't offset the high likelihood that he will be underpaid on that crucial second NBA contract if he doesn't develop fast enough, which will set him up for a career of being underpaid. I expect to see HD at college for at least one year, where he goes I have no idea.
that is a good point , the being good enough for that second contract. a lot of players in the past few years , lotto picks, have not been. ben mclemore comes to mind. Its also a good idea to go to college to build your brand. I just think the writing is on the wall, he could have easily been at uconn by now if he wanted to. Now every nba team has a scouting report on him and he likely a first rounder, and if you get drafted late first you can end up on a WINNER. aka good organizational structure for player development.

I watched all of HDs available tape specifically his u18s performance, he is definitely raw. But he has nba ready defense imo, not to mention eye popping physical tools. he obliterates screens, guards in transition, provides help defense, and cleans the glass. Not a shooter but that could be tweaked, he has other interesting on ball skills. he has vision.

Reaction Score
that is a good point , the being good enough for that second contract. a lot of players in the past few years , lotto picks, have not been. ben mclemore comes to mind. Its also a good idea to go to college to build your brand. I just think the writing is on the wall, he could have easily been at uconn by now if he wanted to. Now every nba team has a scouting report on him and he likely a first rounder, and if you get drafted late first you can end up on a WINNER. aka good organizational structure for player development.

I watched all of HDs available tape specifically his u18s performance, he is definitely raw. But he has nba ready defense imo, not to mention eye popping physical tools. he obliterates screens, guards in transition, provides help defense, and cleans the glass. Not a shooter but that could be tweaked, he has other interesting on ball skills. he has vision.
This. HD has no intention of playing a minute of college basketball. I don't know much, but this I know.

BUConn10

Reaction Score

Good point, this is also true and something people have definitely mentioned here in the past.

At the end of the day, if Diallo wanted to be at UConn so badly, he would have been here right now with the current class. There's definitely an air of mystery or simply facts we don't have in this recruitment. Curious to see how it plays out.

Reaction Score
Athletism is clearly there but he doesn't impose his will on a game or at least hasn't the two times I have seen him. His abilities are obvious but I would hope a kid would be able to bring it with a little more intensity and have that will to dominate. How is he gonna hold up over a 84 game season? Kid can do what he wants but to me he needs some seasoning before taking the NBA route....

Reaction Score

fantastic news. dead the nba talk...i was wrong, givony is in the know.

Reaction Score
Actually he has said quite clearly that he plans to attend college on multiple occasions.

He may very well go to the NBA if he's going to be drafted, but you're exaggerating how sure of a thing it is.
Ok, think what you want. #delusion.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Ok, think what you want. #delusion.
The kid has literally said, on multiple occasions, that he's going to college. Scouts are now saying he should go to college. How are we delusional?

Reaction Score
The kid has literally said, on multiple occasions, that he's going to college. Scouts are now saying he should go to college. How are we delusional?
I hope you are also buying season tickets to football because you believe that will help us get into the P5. Otherwise, you are a fool. He is not coming. Let it go.

Reaction Score
I hope you are also buying season tickets to football because you believe that will help us get into the P5. Otherwise, you are a fool. He is not coming. Let it go.
What???

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
img_3855-png.82647

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
makes me nervouse about diallo coming here if he can just recruit a kid for such a short period

H

huskymagic

Hamidou going to the NBA or even worse to Kentucky will definitely sting seeing what happened to the Cuse with Quade Green. It's down to us and Kentucky now with Hamidou and hopefully Hamiduo stays true to UCONN and has a good relationship with Makai Ashton Langford.

Reaction Score

i still think our biggest comp is the nba, ollie has invested way too much time into hamidou. every other player ollie invests in he gets ... major targets since he took over : hamilton, Adams, Gilbert, MAL/Diallo. Sure we got beat in the Wenyen recruitment, but i think he has targeted HD way harder... and coached him.

Reaction Score
Sure we got beat in the Wenyen recruitment, but i think he has targeted HD way harder... and coached him.
We didn't get on Wenyen particularly early, and even once we got on him it was clear that we were splitting time between him and other similar recruits.

The one guy we went after with everything we had in the arsenal and didn't get was Abu. And given our rebounding issues for 2.5 years now, that was a killer miss.

Reaction Score
We didn't get on Wenyen particularly early, and even once we got on him it was clear that we were splitting time between him and other similar recruits.

The one guy we went after with everything we had in the arsenal and didn't get was Abu. And given our rebounding issues for 2.5 years now, that was a killer miss.
the abu miss was bad for him and us. could have easily established himself as a star 4 in the AAC with millers departure. didn't really need his expressions teammate terrell though

Reaction Score
the abu miss was bad for him and us. could have easily established himself as a star 4 in the AAC with millers departure. didn't really need his expressions teammate terrell though
Didn't "need," but in retrospect it would be nice to have them both as juniors on this team, no? Terrell's pretty legit.

Oh well. Spilled milk.

Reaction Score
What UConn has going for them is relationship with the coach, comfort with the team, proximity to family and playing with a close friend.
And many many many recruits commit to a school for exactly those reasons

BUConn10

Reaction Score
And many many many recruits commit to a school for exactly those reasons
Definitely true, but when NBA contract money is on the line, it becomes more of a business decision than a personal choice one, and I totally understand that. Hell, If I got a full ride to UConn Law school as a CT resident I'd be ecstatic, but if Harvard Law came knocking, I'm packing my bags and not even looking back because the career implications are significant at this point in the game.

Reaction Score
Definitely true, but when NBA contract money is on the line, it becomes more of a business decision than a personal choice one, and I totally understand that. Hell, If I got a full ride to UConn Law school as a CT resident I'd be ecstatic, but if Harvard Law came knocking, I'm packing my bags and not even looking back because the career implications are significant at this point in the game.
C'mon man if UConn is just UConn and UK is Harvard that's way off.

UConn would be Stanford Law if Hami grew up in Oakland. And then he'd have to move far away to be at a Yale/Harvard. I get that it's one year, but on a scale of 1-10 how excited do you think Hami is about the idea of moving to Lexington, KY vs staying home with his friends and family?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom