Hamidou Diallo Graduates | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Hamidou Diallo Graduates

Status
Not open for further replies.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Saw 99's comment in the MAL thread...doesn't shock me at all. Do we have any indication when he will be deciding? Obviously I think he's our top priority. Are there other 2 guards in that class that we're in on? Whats the backup plan?

Reaction Score
We are far from out. Just hearing we are not the top or it might be a much closer race

Reaction Score
Dont trust Ozzie?
I think oz is the most plugged into the program for info.i talk to him from time to time on tos. Great great guy
But there is always different perspective. As always take this with a grain of salt (thanks to all that mock me:))

Reaction Score
Thanks @husky99 I had a feeling once Puke and the Squid got involved we would be swimming upstream. It doesn't surprise me at all. But hey, you never know. It's not over until it's over.

Reaction Score
Thanks @husky99 I had a feeling once Puke and the Squid got involved we would be swimming upstream. It doesn't surprise me at all. But hey, you never know. It's not over until it's over.

Just wanted to pass on what i heard. It is second hand so chew on that fat..:)

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Saw 99's comment in the MAL thread...doesn't shock me at all. Do we have any indication when he will be deciding? Obviously I think he's our top priority. Are there other 2 guards in that class that we're in on? Whats the backup plan?
We have a ton of wings (SGs & SFs) on our hit list for 2017. I'll list my two favorites (bear in mind I've seen most of these guys only two or three times), and a little scouting report with each

1. Brandon Randolph, SG (Yonkers, NY) -- Big (6-foot-6), pure shooter who hit over 40% from 3s in EYBL this summer and subsequently blew up. A very good athlete, and long, but not like Diallo. Doesn't finish at the rim as well as he should, but will get better as he fills out. I think he can be a better version of Rashad, and as far as I know we were the first truly big program to get on him, though he now has offers from Indiana, Kansas, North Carolina and Arizona as well
2. Jermaine Samuels, SF (Franklin, Ma) -- A kid we've been on forever, though it's never been clear how hard. He has a great midrange game and is a great finisher in traffic, and also rebounds the hell out of the ball (he's got a 7-foot wingspan, which helps). Can be streaky from behind the arc, but I think it'll improve b/c his form is good. Not yet a great ball-handler, and his ranking has dropped (from 30ish to 60ish) over the past year b/c he's missed a lot of time with injuries. I don't care, though, b/c I love him. Villanova and Providence are both after him hard, and if he shows out while healthy this summer there will be a lot of other programs knocking as well.

We're also after:
DJ Harvey, 5-star SF from Maryland (we're supposedly in good with him)
Lonnie Walker, 5-star SG from Reading, PA (I haven't heard much re: our involvement other than that we offered)
Chaundee Brown, 4-star SG from Florida (haven't heard anything since our offer; everybody thinks he's a Gator)
Jordan Tucker, 4-star SF from Mt. Vernon (we've constantly been mentioned, but everybody thinks he's going to Cuse)
Jay-Jay Chandler, 4-star SG from Texas (more of a combo guard than a swing; no idea where we stand)

There are also a couple of local wings we haven't been linked to:
Kimani Lawrence, SF from Rhode Island (generally rated in the top 75 nationally; no idea why we haven't been on him)
Aaron Wheeler, SF from Stamford (plays prep ball at Brewster & runs with Mass Rivals; generally rated a very low 4-star or high 3-star, and is considered more "upside" than finished product)
Walter Whyte, SF from New Haven (a solid 3-star who is built like a linebacker at 6-foot-4, 230 lbs; looks like he's choosing between Yale & VCU)

Obviously I want us to get HamD. But even if we miss, the cupboard's far from bare.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
With our success with small guards and small teams, Villanova's win, and Golden State's model, it seems to me that MAL is the bigger, more critical recruit. If we had multiple talented point guards that play together really well and really defend, we could be in great shape. I think that UConn's identity right now is mostly focused on our point guards and defense and the thought of maybe having 3 really excellent point guards at the same time is fun to imagine.

Reaction Score
Never really put much value into it because Oz said we led the entire way but Hamidou's cousin attends QU with my best friend and he told my friend that Hamidou wanted UK. This was before the Squid offered, too. I still trust KO on the recruiting trail and this would be a huge get over Cal and K. So, I guess we'll see.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Smart kid, well spoken and didn't show his cards at all. I like kids to be all in for Connecticut, but I appreciate the way he handled the interview.

Reaction Score
With our success with small guards and small teams, Villanova's win, and Golden State's model, it seems to me that MAL is the bigger, more critical recruit. If we had multiple talented point guards that play together really well and really defend, we could be in great shape. I think that UConn's identity right now is mostly focused on our point guards and defense and the thought of maybe having 3 really excellent point guards at the same time is fun to imagine.

Agree with this entire statement. MAL, Gilbert, and Adams would be the best frontcourt in the country.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
One-and-done guards rarely lead teams to titles, and make no mistake: HamD is a one-and-done. I don't believe he's absolutely crucial to our on-court success.

Where he is crucial is for our recruiting success down the road, because he is going to be A) in the NBA, and B) probably pretty damn good. Any time Kemba hits a floater or Andre grabs a rebound, it makes it that much easier to go after the next high-profile kid. We need to keep replenishing our pro ranks, and HamD is a better bet than anyone else we're recruiting (other than maybe Richards) to help us do that -- plus he's a SportsCenter Top 10 play waiting to happen any time he gets near the rim.

With or without him, we'll win plenty. But getting him will make it easier to win more down the road, because his NBA career will be an advertisement for the school & for KO every time he takes the court.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
It is far from over. I heard he will probably announce in the fall and it's really between Kentucky and UConn with Duke as a dark horse
Same as I'm hearing. Kentucky likes him and others, Duke is feeling out their options.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Forgot to mention cuse is pushing hard as well, they're probably ahead of duke at this point.

Reaction Score
Haha got me there. Best backcourt I meant. I think a starting 5 in 2017 of MAL, Gilbert, Adams, Durham, and Enoch would be insane.

Can't play all 3 of those guys together, waaay too small. You need at least one big guard if you want to play 3 guards, tallest of those 3 is what, 6'2"?

Reaction Score
Can't play all 3 of those guys together, waaay too small. You need at least one big guard if you want to play 3 guards, tallest of those 3 is what, 6'2"?

Gilbert 5'11, MAL 6'2, Adams 6'3. We played 3 point guards plenty of times in the 2014 NCAA Tourney (Samuel, Boat, Bazz) and it worked out just fine. Matter of fact, when Ollie had 3 point guards in vs. Florida in the F4, that's when we went on our 11-0 run. Now that small ball seems like the newest trend in basketball, I almost feel like Adams could potentially guard the 3 position.

caw

Reaction Score

Nova did it before, Illinois also I think.

Reaction Score
One-and-done guards rarely lead teams to titles, and make no mistake: HamD is a one-and-done. I don't believe he's absolutely crucial to our on-court success.

Where he is crucial is for our recruiting success down the road, because he is going to be A) in the NBA, and B) probably pretty damn good. Any time Kemba hits a floater or Andre grabs a rebound, it makes it that much easier to go after the next high-profile kid. We need to keep replenishing our pro ranks, and HamD is a better bet than anyone else we're recruiting (other than maybe Richards) to help us do that -- plus he's a SportsCenter Top 10 play waiting to happen any time he gets near the rim.

With or without him, we'll win plenty. But getting him will make it easier to win more down the road, because his NBA career will be an advertisement for the school & for KO every time he takes the court.

One and done really? I mean he needs to shoot it better to just jump to the next level. I realize he has another year to per then one at the college level but I just don't see it, think there's at least 2 there but crazier things have happened. I mean DHam left after 2 :eek:

Reaction Score
Not sure what "must get" means in this situation, but he is certainly a "we really, really, really, really want Hamidou to come to UConn" level of recruit. If he goes elsewhere, I do not see the sky falling and crushing Storrs into dust. He could be a kid who could help UConn make a big run next year ('17-18), that's for sure.

No, of course the program doesn't immediately turn to dust if we lose him. I view this as a psychological thing...a momentum thing.

First, KO has been improving on the recruiting front and you want to see that continue. Now is not the time for complacency. There is still more hill to climb. He has not hit the level of Duke, Kentucky, UNC, or Kansas yet and I might dare say he has not hit the same level as some lesser teams. One top 5 class is great but you also have to look at the quality averaged over time. And, even top 5 is not THE top. So, on both an individual yearly basis and a, say, rolling average basis, there is still room for improvement.

Second, if you are going to see improvement, this is the kind of recruit he has to get. He was on him early. The kid is basically local. The early word was that he loved KO and UConn so much that we were a lock. Any kid at this level is going to generate interest from the squid and/or coach K. And, honestly, he isn't even their #1 target, like he is for us. If you are going to ever land a top 10ish kid, the opportunity doesn't get much better than this. If he loses him, it starts to look like he might never be able to compete for kids this high.

I admit, there is a lot of personal opnion and perspective in there but that is how I see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom