Hamidou Diallo Graduates | Page 122 | The Boneyard

Hamidou Diallo Graduates

Status
Not open for further replies.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Agree on Beatty. However, you can't have a single recruit hold the program hostage. See Syracuse with Quade Green. Even if they are telling you what you want to hear at some point they either need to commit or you need to recruit over and take the first yes. Beatty won't hurt but missing on Diallo would kill this year and can easily impact next year as well. I believe Ollie kept a schollie open for this exact reason. In hindsight, we sure could have used that extra body. So yeah, missing on Hami is a huge whiff by Ollie that could have a multiple year affect.
We have MAL Polley and Carlton. This is icing.

Reaction Score
We have MAL Polley and Carlton. This is icing.
With what are losing, for next year that is a net loss. Again, I agree that Hami is icing. But that scholarship needs to be filled with a quality player. I will wait until then to quantify the severity of a Hami miss. Point is, waiting on Hami did come with risk.

Reaction Score
This board is amazing - even in the midst of this tire fire of a season . . . this ongoing embarrassment . . . people still can't wrap their heads around the idea that a kid might just rather go to Kentucky.

Ridiculous viewpoint... Every player should want to come to the school that has a losing record, plays in a 2nd rate conference, looks like the Washington Generals offensively, does not have much NBA clout anymore, and has trouble packing the house for home games. I mean why would a player want to go to a school that wins 30 games a year, is on TV every game, is an NBA factory, has bar none the most rabid fan base in the country, and plays exciting basketball for the most visible coach in America?

Reaction Score
If Hami doesn't come to Storrs then F'em....we are going to have a great team next year with or without him. Do any of you know what Abu or Stone are doing now? Exactly, they have been long forgotten....lets focus on Alterique, Larrier, Vance, Durham, Jalen, Enoch, Mamadou, Vital, Carlton, Polley and MAL..

Abu had 20/12/5 the other night vs VTech I believe

Reaction Score
If we lose on Diallo it's a setback but not insurmountable, if we lose on a AJ Reeves (2018) type let's say then I would be extremely concerned.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Agree on Beatty. However, you can't have a single recruit hold the program hostage. See Syracuse with Quade Green. Even if they are telling you what you want to hear at some point they either need to commit or you need to recruit over and take the first yes. Beatty won't hurt but missing on Diallo would kill this year and can easily impact next year as well. I believe Ollie kept a schollie open for this exact reason. In hindsight, we sure could have used that extra body. So yeah, missing on Hami is a huge whiff by Ollie that could have a multiple year affect.

You think a guy who would be here 1-3 semesters not coming would have a multiple year effect? How, by hurting our reputation?

Reaction Score
You think a guy who would be here 1-3 semesters not coming would have a multiple year effect? How, by hurting our reputation?
No, by not filling that void with another quality player. Lets assume that Ollie kept a scholarship open this year with the slight hope Diallo would come mid year. Well, if he doesn't, we could have used that scholarship on a 5th year transfer which we all know we could use now. Second, how does UConn fill that scholarship next year we hoped went to Diallo? Do we fill it all? Do we reach on another project who won't immediately contribute? Its to early to tell, but yes, whiffing on Diallo can have a multiple year effect. My guess is that if Diallo was never an option, that scholarship would be already put to better use.

Reaction Score
Abu is really good for NCST, and Stone was drafted in the 2nd round last year. Both are better than the front court players we have this year. Try again.

Stone was clearly a talent, but I'm not sure how much a player like that - who stays long enough for you to be good but not necessarily long enough to be great - really moves the needle. Take him off that Maryland team and I'm not sure they're demonstrably worse. You have a guy like Jake Layman - a senior who is currently in the league - taking less than eight shots per game last year, likely due in no small part to guys like Soulaimon and Stone being integrated into the rotation.

Abu? Yeah, not having him hurts. The Abu's, Dorsey's, Bell's, and Perkins' are the ones that will set your program back if you don't get them.

Reaction Score
We need an active big around both rims. And someone who can fill the basket, draw defenders. And I thought I wouldn't have to say this but we need a on ball defender bad. Our D isn't talked about much because our offensive output is so horrible.

Reaction Score
We need an active big around both rims. And someone who can fill the basket, draw defenders. And I thought I wouldn't have to say this but we need a on ball defender bad. Our D isn't talked about much because our offensive output is so horrible.

You think Swannigan would leave Purdue for Storrs 32?;)

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
No, by not filling that void with another quality player. Lets assume that Ollie kept a scholarship open this year with the slight hope Diallo would come mid year. Well, if he doesn't, we could have used that scholarship on a 5th year transfer which we all know we could use now. Second, how does UConn fill that scholarship next year we hoped went to Diallo? Do we fill it all? Do we reach on another project who won't immediately contribute? Its to early to tell, but yes, whiffing on Diallo can have a multiple year effect. My guess is that if Diallo was never an option, that scholarship would be already put to better use.

If Diallo doesn't come, we have the scholarship. Maybe it messes things up for a semester or two. But we have the scholarship with all the same options we had a few months ago. It effects this year but we decided there was no one else to really help (short of 3 injuries). Remember we actually left two scholarships open.

Reaction Score
I think we all want Diallo because he will help our NBA visibility remain high, but he wont be here for very long, and it seems like he may have been sold completely on the fact that Kentucky is the NBA revolving door. To me, if he was set on coming to play for Ollie and a quick visit with Cal completely sold him on the fact that he shouldn't be playing this year and should practice with a college team, NEXT!

C

Chief00

If Diallo doesn't come, we have the scholarship. Maybe it messes things up for a semester or two. But we have the scholarship with all the same options we had a few months ago. It effects this year but we decided there was no one else to really help (short of 3 injuries). Remember we actually left two scholarships open.
What a great idea that was leaving ships open and giving them to walkons - who if ever they would be used in non garbage minutes it would be this year.

Reaction Score
Bringing in one impact recruit per year isn't going to get it done.

What do you mean by "impact" recruit?

Because usually, having 2 studs and a bunch of solid role players is enough to get it done. At least it was with the last 2 NCs. Outside of Kemba and Lamb, Shabazz and Deandre, no one else on those teams was extra worldly, but they all seemed to excel in their given roles (Roscoe, Oriakhi, Kromah, Giffey, Boatright).

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Bringing in one impact recruit per year isn't going to get it done.
Polley will be an impact player eventually. They brought in at least 4 impact recruits this yr. One is coming off injury. 2 got hurt. Jackson and Vital are playing way more than they should at this point.

Everyone needs to settle down. I'm not happy with the way this season has worked out...but lets be serious. Next yr's team will be good, with or without HD.
Sure they are weak/unproven up front. I'll concede that. The shooting will be much improved. Larrier will be back. Adams will be improved. Gilbert back. MAL in the mix. Jackson and Vital with a year of seasoning under their belts.

This year is toast. The best that can come of it would be HD committing. No one knows if that's going to happen...but it's certainly not the end of the world. We just have to look for improvement in CV, VJ, JD, SE etc and if we see that next yr will be fun. At this point - let CV and VJ play more. Sit Rodney. He's leading the conference in minutes played. That needs to change in a hurry.

Reaction Score
If we lose on Diallo it's a setback but not insurmountable, if we lose on a AJ Reeves (2018) type let's say then I would be extremely concerned.

Isn't Reeves dropping in the rankings.

Admittedly, I don't know much about him. However, I have been told he's a nice player but not an immediate impact player or a national elite recruit ala HD.

Reaction Score
What a great idea that was leaving ships open and giving them to walkons - who if ever they would be used in non garbage minutes it would be this year.

If you were half as smart as you seem to think you are or you had half the access you imagine you do you wouldn't make statements like this because you would know better.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
If you were half as smart as you seem to think you are or you had half the access you imagine you do you wouldn't make statements like this because you would know better.

Shhhh - he has his anti-UConn agenda to drive home.

Reaction Score
The latter.

KO failing to land a player of this caliber, this publicly, this close to home, is an indictment of his program and his recruiting.

Preemptively settling for Plan B in Beatty, rather than swinging for the fences on Diallo, would have been a small-time move that KO was correct to decline.

Sadly, we're probably going to come out looking small-time anyway.
BS

Reaction Score
I know Calzone has a reputation for being completely legit and above board, doesn't he?
Get a clue! Calzone is as dirty as they come and his reputation is well deserved and earned over the course of a very lengthy career. Guy has always been dirty even back to his Camby, Lou Roe, Dana Dingle days.
Is Calzone supposed to be an insult? Because they are pretty delicious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom