Hami - Come to UConn! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hami - Come to UConn!

pj

Reaction Score
And this is based on what, exactly? The tremendous player development we're seeing out of UConn these days? You said in your next post that "going to UConn will help him make those millions." Justify that statement.

I wrote a long original post containing my arguments and won't repeat. But here's a few bullets in case you have trouble reading long texts:
  • Going to schools with lots of talent doesn't turn top 10 recruits into NBA stars. NBA stars are more likely to have played with less talent alongside them. So Kentucky's main selling point is bogus.
  • I dispute the claim that KO doesn't develop talent. Especially confining us to guards, he has a great record, beginning with Shabazz and Boat and Niels who improved tremendously under Ollie. Which guards haven't gotten better under him? Rodney is the closest you can get to a development failure, and that seems to be a bb iq issue more than coaching.

U

UCONNfan1

I can't imagine him choosing UConn if he also has Kentucky in the mix.

Reaction Score
Yes, and going to UConn will help him make those millions.

Nah. More than likely it would expose potential flaws resulting him to slip in the draft, thus costing him millions.

pj

Reaction Score
Nah. More than likely it would expose potential flaws resulting him to slip in the draft, thus costing him millions.

And then he would fix those flaws, rising higher in the draft than if he'd never learned of the flaws and kept them in his game.

I can't imagine him choosing UConn if he also has Kentucky in the mix.

You have a very limited imagination. Try reading fantasy novels, or history books, to help cultivate it.

Reaction Score
And then he would fix those flaws, rising higher in the draft than if he'd never learned of the flaws and kept them in his game.

My opinion was based on the assumption he was playing this year and then testing the waters. I didn't know he was playing a full season next year.

Reaction Score

You have a very limited imagination. Try reading fantasy novels, or history books, to help cultivate it.

Do you realize how many Kentucky players have been drafted in the last 8 years?

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I think what people are missing is that Kentucky sends lots of players to the NBA BECAUSE THEY GET THE TOP PLAYERS, not that they do a better job of getting players to the league than anyone else. Calipari owes those players for his success, they don't own him for theirs. That's reality.

pj

Reaction Score

There are 60 players drafted every year, about 40 of them American, so a school's draft picks should approximately equal its number of top 40 recruits. I'd like to see a count of how many top 40 recruits Kentucky has had in the last 8 years.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
There are 60 players drafted every year, about 40 of them American, so a school's draft picks should approximately equal its number of top 40 recruits. I'd like to see a count of how many top 40 recruits Kentucky has had in the last 8 years.

Many top HS players never get drafted. Many under the radar guys, like Curry, do. I'd love to see a list of top NBA guys by their HS rating.

Reaction Score

Interesting tweet by Purvis...wonder if it's Diallo related.

Assuming if it is related, Purvis has found out Diallos decision and doesn't want to comment...meaning he's pissed about the decision and does t want to open his mouth about it.

Reaction Score
Could KO pull a Deandre Jordan move and bring the whole team to see Hami to try to convince him to stay in CT and go to UConn or is that a huge violation?

Also if you live near the decision location you should go. Tough to pick against UConn if there are a thousand Huskies in blue and white in attendance.

Reaction Score
Many top HS players never get drafted. Many under the radar guys, like Curry, do. I'd love to see a list of top NBA guys by their HS rating.
Here's sort of what you're looking for, but includes everyone drafted since 1998. Sorted by draft position with their RSCI ranking (basically a composite of all available recruiting rankings during their respective year): DraftExpress - NBA Draft, NCAA/International Basketball Website.

Reaction Score
Could KO pull a Deandre Jordan move and bring the whole team to see Hami to try to convince him to stay in CT and go to UConn or is that a huge violation?

Also if you live near the decision location you should go. Tough to pick against UConn if there are a thousand Huskies in blue and white in attendance.
lol he's not making a decision on the spot.

Reaction Score
He's making his decision in the Rego Park section of Queens at 5pm tomorrow. Interesting neighborhood.

Reaction Score
I wrote a long original post containing my arguments and won't repeat. But here's a few bullets in case you have trouble reading long texts:
  • Going to schools with lots of talent doesn't turn top 10 recruits into NBA stars. NBA stars are more likely to have played with less talent alongside them. So Kentucky's main selling point is bogus.
  • I dispute the claim that KO doesn't develop talent. Especially confining us to guards, he has a great record, beginning with Shabazz and Boat and Niels who improved tremendously under Ollie. Which guards haven't gotten better under him? Rodney is the closest you can get to a development failure, and that seems to be a bb iq issue more than coaching.

I read your long, rambling incoherent post - although I was tempted to stop when you said Kentucky has had "a few" players that have gone on to success in the NBA - and it's nonsense. Your argument is basically that playing on a t y team is better for one's development. Your contention that Ollie will get the most out of the kid where others won't is a fan talking. You're presenting your fandom as if it's objective reality and it's not. The idea that players don't get better playing against great players every day is just inane and the notion that he'd face less scrutiny at Kentucky just inverts reality.

But by all means continue the lecture. Chief's doing something I'd imagine is alternately creepy and sad in NY this weekend so someone's gotta fill the blowhard void. Might as well be you.

Reaction Score
I asked Vance Jackson on Instagram live about Hami Diallo. He replied:

"Hami that's my guy. He's coming to UConn"

I don't know if he was trolling or not but that's BREAKING NEWS

Reaction Score
I asked Vance Jackson on Instagram live about Hami Diallo. He replied:

"Hami that's my guy. He's coming to UConn"

I don't know if he was trolling or not but that's BREAKING NEWS
If it happens I would love to see all the recruiting analysts' reactions after saying he was definitely UK bound.

Reaction Score

Do you realize how many of those players would have been drafted the same of they went to CCSU? please I get our guys aren't getting a lot better and there's some reason to be concerned but don't jump on that lame bandwagon, it's not Cal. Monk and Fox are already phenomenal ya think it's Cal lol? Let's talk about players like the Harrison twins, Poythress, the big talented, long center they had up until last year who didn't get better - that's what the reality is. I can "make" what he gets 1st round draft picks I promise.

Reaction Score
Kevin Olle has had 3 players drafted to the NBA; 1 first round pick and 2 second round picks.
John Calipari has had 28 players drafted since arriving at UK; 21 first round picks (14 lottery picks and 3 #1 overall picks) and 7 second round picks.

So counting his 39 commitments to UK that have been eligible to enter the draft (and subtracting the 4 guys drafted who he did not recruit but coached) 24/39 of his guys have gone on to be drafted. 61.5%. Its a pretty powerful pitch to tell an 18 year old that there's a 3 in 5 chance of becoming a millionaire if he were to play for UK.

All in all, I don't think NBA and player development are what we should be using to present UConn as a more attractive destination than UK. If getting to the NBA is priority #1 for Hami, he will choose Kentucky, and you really can't fault him for it.

pj

Reaction Score
I read your long, rambling incoherent post - although I was tempted to stop when you said Kentucky has had "a few" players that have gone on to success in the NBA - and it's nonsense. Your argument is basically that playing on a t y team is better for one's development. Your contention that Ollie will get the most out of the kid where others won't is a fan talking. You're presenting your fandom as if it's objective reality and it's not. The idea that players don't get better playing against great players every day is just inane and the notion that he'd face less scrutiny at Kentucky just inverts reality.

But by all means continue the lecture. Chief's doing something I'd imagine is alternately creepy and sad in NY this weekend so someone's gotta fill the blowhard void. Might as well be you.

As long as Hami agrees with me, I'm fine.

pj

Reaction Score
Kevin Olle has had 3 players drafted to the NBA; 1 first round pick and 2 second round picks.
John Calipari has had 28 players drafted since arriving at UK; 21 first round picks (14 lottery picks and 3 #1 overall picks) and 7 second round picks.

So counting his 39 commitments to UK that have been eligible to enter the draft (and subtracting the 4 guys drafted who he did not recruit but coached) 24/39 of his guys have gone on to be drafted. 61.5%. Its a pretty powerful pitch to tell an 18 year old that there's a 3 in 5 chance of becoming a millionaire if he were to play for UK.

All in all, I don't think NBA and player development are what we should be using to present UConn as a more attractive destination than UK. If getting to the NBA is priority #1 for Hami, he will choose Kentucky, and you really can't fault him for it.

Apples and oranges -- numbers drafted over a different period of years; and no regard to recruiting ranking. Calipari has been a recruiting machine getting highly ranked players. KO is just beginning to attract top players. The key comparison is have your players done better than their high school ranking, or worse?

Reaction Score
Apples and oranges -- numbers drafted over a different period of years; and no regard to recruiting ranking. Calipari has been a recruiting machine getting highly ranked players. KO is just beginning to attract top players. The key comparison is have your players done better than their high school ranking, or worse?
Only 32 of those recruits were ranked in the top 100. So paying attention to rankings actually helps Calipari. 23/32 for 72% (Eric Bledsoe was outside of the top 100). If you are a top 100 player and commit to UK you have a 72% chance of being drafted. That's an absolutely phenomenal statistic.

Reaction Score
K
Not sure if you disagree but the point of some previous posts is that correlation does not imply causation. The fact the pitch is so powerful is further evidence these kids should probably attend some classes while they're in school.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom