Hami - Come to UConn! | The Boneyard

Hami - Come to UConn!

pj

Reaction Score
A young man has to follow his heart and go to the college he thinks best for him. But this old man thinks Hami may be getting bad advice leading him toward a colossal mistake.

When I hire, the last thing I want to see is someone who tries to evade accountability and evaluation. If I were an NBA scout or GM, the last thing I'd want to see is a player avoiding opportunities to play on a major stage that enables an honest evaluation. A player who goes to college but doesn't play; who may show himself in staged events, and who seeks to build media hype, but shirks live competition.

Game competition makes good players better and better players great. This is especially true for shooting guards. Scoring is an art and a skill, and it is hard to do against college-level defense. Even the most talented shooting guards need the opportunity to develop that skill.

It doesn't develop well in practice, no matter how good the other players are. Especially when, since you are not playing, coaching you up is not helping the coach to prepare his team for games.

In games, it develops best in the most challenging circumstances. When shooting guards are the best player on their team, and the focus of the opposing team's defense, they develop the most. Look at any list of top NBA shooting guards and you'll see that most players were "the man" on their college teams.

Here's a current list of top NBA shooting guards: Ranking top players by position: Shooting guards - NBA.com. #1 James Harden went to Arizona State, #2 Klay Thompson to Washington State, #3 Jimmy Butler to Marquette, #4 CJ McCollum to Lehigh, #5 Dwayne Wade to Marquette, #6 Demar Derozan to USC.

On the similar point guard list, Ranking top players by position: Point guards - NBA.com, #1 Stephen Curry went to Davidson College (and wasn't it remarkable how he carried them in the NCAAs), #2 Russell Westbrook went to UCLA at a down period for them, #3 Chris Paul went to Wake Forest, #6 Damian Lillard went to Weber State.

All of these players sought out the toughest challenges and worked through them to become great.

Yes, a few top-rated players have gone to Kentucky and continued to have successful NBA careers. We can say the same about UConn players, UConn has a great track record of helping players achieve NBA careers far beyond what their high school ranking would suggest possible. But - Kentucky has had their share of failures too. Aaron Harrison was just cut from the D-league.

At UConn, Hami, you'd get great coaching from KO who got everything possible out of his talent to succeed. And you'll be the man on a team that has talented players but needs that special scorer to take the next step, to competence this year and excellence next year.

At Kentucky, you'll be hiding from scrutiny this year and scouts will question if you don't believe in yourself and are trying to sneak into the NBA. You'll develop less than you would at UConn and will be putting your career at risk.

The safe course is to seek out challenges, learn as fast as you can, and have faith that doing the right thing and pursuing excellence will be rewarded.

Plus -- we want you and need you much more than Kentucky does!

Reaction Score
Ok so I do have this "source" through too many people who has delivered some of the news throughout. Almost was a done deal here a few days ago prior to the visit and pending fly back by Caliscumi to follow up.

Alls I can say according to a son of someone I know, who knows these kids well and is at Putnam, he's GONE. Not saying this will be at all correct just saying I've been privy to what seems to be a pattern and now it would seem the ship has sailed for sure and is going to the hayseed fields.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Ok so I do have this "source" through too many people who has delivered some of the news throughout. Almost was a done deal here a few days ago prior to the visit and pending fly back by Caliscumi to follow up.

Alls I can say according to a son of someone I know, who knows these kids well and is at Putnam, he's GONE. Not saying this will be at all correct just saying I've been privy to what seems to be a pattern and now it would seem the ship has sailed for sure and is going to the hayseed fields.
Which car wash?

Reaction Score

chance-there-is.gif

Reaction Score
Oh my god kid just make up your mind so we don't have to read any more of this stuff. Steph Curry went to Davidson because it was the only scholarship offer he had. Good lord.

If you read the OP's post to just about anyone other than a UConn fan they'd laugh at the delusion.

Reaction Score
Hami: You have to know by now how much we want you..far more than KU!! Please don't disappoint!

Reaction Score
Except now NBA GMs are able to see everyone in drills, practices, and scrimmages with NBA-caliber talent, as there is no longer a forced college exit with trying out for the pros.

Which negates the whole premise of your post.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I hope he doesn't come here. Hot take. Sue me.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Out of curiosity what do we really have to offer at this point? We are a train wreck. Injuries I get, but anyone can look at the effort the kids who DO play put forth, and see it's seriously lacking. Has Ollie lost control of the team?

I get that IN GENERAL, UCONN is a tremendous program. But right now, I can't see why this kid would want to be a part of anything we have going on...

Reaction Score
A young man has to follow his heart and go to the college he thinks best for him. But this old man thinks Hami may be getting bad advice leading him toward a colossal mistake.

When I hire, the last thing I want to see is someone who tries to evade accountability and evaluation. If I were an NBA scout or GM, the last thing I'd want to see is a player avoiding opportunities to play on a major stage that enables an honest evaluation. A player who goes to college but doesn't play; who may show himself in staged events, and who seeks to build media hype, but shirks live competition.

Game competition makes good players better and better players great. This is especially true for shooting guards. Scoring is an art and a skill, and it is hard to do against college-level defense. Even the most talented shooting guards need the opportunity to develop that skill.

It doesn't develop well in practice, no matter how good the other players are. Especially when, since you are not playing, coaching you up is not helping the coach to prepare his team for games.

In games, it develops best in the most challenging circumstances. When shooting guards are the best player on their team, and the focus of the opposing team's defense, they develop the most. Look at any list of top NBA shooting guards and you'll see that most players were "the man" on their college teams.

Here's a current list of top NBA shooting guards: Ranking top players by position: Shooting guards - NBA.com. #1 James Harden went to Arizona State, #2 Klay Thompson to Washington State, #3 Jimmy Butler to Marquette, #4 CJ McCollum to Lehigh, #5 Dwayne Wade to Marquette, #6 Demar Derozan to USC.

On the similar point guard list, Ranking top players by position: Point guards - NBA.com, #1 Stephen Curry went to Davidson College (and wasn't it remarkable how he carried them in the NCAAs), #2 Russell Westbrook went to UCLA at a down period for them, #3 Chris Paul went to Wake Forest, #6 Damian Lillard went to Weber State.

All of these players sought out the toughest challenges and worked through them to become great.

Yes, a few top-rated players have gone to Kentucky and continued to have successful NBA careers. We can say the same about UConn players, UConn has a great track record of helping players achieve NBA careers far beyond what their high school ranking would suggest possible. But - Kentucky has had their share of failures too. Aaron Harrison was just cut from the D-league.

At UConn, Hami, you'd get great coaching from KO who got everything possible out of his talent to succeed. And you'll be the man on a team that has talented players but needs that special scorer to take the next step, to competence this year and excellence next year.

At Kentucky, you'll be hiding from scrutiny this year and scouts will question if you don't believe in yourself and are trying to sneak into the NBA. You'll develop less than you would at UConn and will be putting your career at risk.

The safe course is to seek out challenges, learn as fast as you can, and have faith that doing the right thing and pursuing excellence will be rewarded.

Plus -- we want you and need you much more than Kentucky does!

We're talking about millions of dollars at stake - much more when you factor in off the court brand endorsements. This isn't you hiring a middle manager at some company.

pj

Reaction Score
Oh my god kid just make up your mind so we don't have to read any more of this stuff. Steph Curry went to Davidson because it was the only scholarship offer he had. Good lord.

If you read the OP's post to just about anyone other than a UConn fan they'd laugh at the delusion.

The point is that going to Davidson didn't hurt Steph Curry's NBA career. Far from it. And choosing Kentucky over UConn is not going to help Diallo's NBA career, no matter how much more talent there is on the court during practice.

pj

Reaction Score
We're talking about millions of dollars at stake - much more when you factor in off the court brand endorsements. This isn't you hiring a middle manager at some company.

Yes, and going to UConn will help him make those millions.

Reaction Score
And choosing Kentucky over UConn is not going to help Diallo's NBA career, no matter how much more talent there is on the court during practice.

And this is based on what, exactly? The tremendous player development we're seeing out of UConn these days? You said in your next post that "going to UConn will help him make those millions." Justify that statement.

Reaction Score
He's not playing but just taking classes this semester and plans on playing a full 2017-18? If KO gets this commitment he is a wizard.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom