Hail to Jacobs! | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Hail to Jacobs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think we are saying the same thing. Don't confuse strategy (Haphazardly running the Wildcat in an effort to trick the defense, killing all momentum in the process) with scheme (using undersized O-lineman to driveblock D-lineman giving up 50 lbs. instead of using their quickness).

The coaches are trying to fit these kids into a Pro-style offense when they may are better suited for a different style or scheme. Of course, this is just my opinion.
That is my thinking too. We are insisting ontrying to do things that we don't have the right players to do.
I hate to bring him up, but does anyone think that Edsall would be 3-3 with this team? We'd be 4-2 at worst even if McCummings was the full time quarterback.

Reaction Score
Nice Sun Tzu quote, but your use of the term strategy to make your point is incorrect. A strategy isn't flexible, (it could be under developed) but it isn't flexible. A strategy defines your goals or end state. Tactics like plans on the other hand put the strategy in motion and can be flexible dependant upon the circumstances when they are developed and after they are undertaken.

True. I get that. Strategy to me, is a plan of action in conflict/some kind of combat, such that you define how you're going to get to the goal - and the goal is always victory - and that strategy isn't going to change depending on localized/individual battle circumstances. Tactics are developed out of that strategy, to meet the localized, individual battle environment. In football it's pretty simple, there are really only a limited number of general offensive strategy decisions (run to set up pass, or pass to set up run) (zone approach vs. man/man approach)....etc.

I started down that writing path because I wonder if we have a consistent strategy at all on offense, and it bothers me that I have to think that. It seems that the coaching staff seems all too willing to game plan week to week, such that they will do literally almost anything, at any time on O, and send the players and ball in any direction/manner they see fit, if they think there might be a weakness somewhere in the opponent that can be exploited.

Therefore the strategy to reach the goal - to win, appears to simply to find the weakness in the opponent, and do whatever we can devise to attack it.

In pro-football, where teams are so evenly matched across the baord, that makes sense. But college ball is different, lots of difference between maturity, talent, and skill level from week to week within your own team, and in the team across from you.

We'll see what happens the rest of the way.

Sun Tzu - pretty clear about what happens with tactics only, and no strategy.

Reaction Score
Just trying to help. You and Butch are losing your marbles. You guys could use a Boneyard fast. Stay away for a week. Don't even lurk. You'll feel much better.

Are losing my marbles? Now? I'll take that as a compliment. I thought I lost my marbles years ago.

Reaction Score
Just trying to help. You and Butch are losing your marbles. You guys could use a Boneyard fast. Stay away for a week. Don't even lurk. You'll feel much better.

BUt to be clear, you wanted me to come back, and now you want me to go away? Very female. Make up your mind.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
That's an excellent question. But let's look at one difference between Rutgers and UConn. How many times did Jamison get hit and stay up and get a few extra yards? Now ask yourself that same question about McCombs, Hyppolite, and DeLorenzo.

You can't scheme your way out of a talent gap. And I honestly saw a significantly more talented Rutgers team across the field. I don't like it. And I don't think it absolves the coaches of poor decisions. But all coaches make bad choices from time to time, I think (they're human, after all). But people on this board are acting like this is 100% on Pasqualoni and DeLeone, and I think that's a naive way of looking at it, personally.

I understand that talent gap. I also think PP and DeLeone are maximizing it with the play calling. We don't have a bruising OL, or a rugged RB that can get yards after contact. The solution to that problem is obvious, throw. Spread out the D and throw. Use screens and a short precision passing game. Do not utilize a power running game that you cannot execute. The predictability magnifies the talent problem, allowing the D to focus on the run on every first down. That's why this is so maddening.

Proper scheming makes the Rutgers game a 3 point loss. A game where any mistake by RU turns it into a win. Same with NC St. It makes WMU a clear win, and keeps Buffalo from being close.

Reaction Score
That's an excellent question. But let's look at one difference between Rutgers and UConn. How many times did Jamison get hit and stay up and get a few extra yards? Now ask yourself that same question about McCombs, Hyppolite, and DeLorenzo.

You can't scheme your way out of a talent gap. And I honestly saw a significantly more talented Rutgers team across the field. I don't like it. And I don't think it absolves the coaches of poor decisions. But all coaches make bad choices from time to time, I think (they're human, after all). But people on this board are acting like this is 100% on Pasqualoni and DeLeone, and I think that's a naive way of looking at it, personally.

You do know that Uconn was 1st and goal down 6 points and was within 1 score into the 4th qtr. You do know Hyp and De have less career carries than LM has in one game and that last year Jamison averaged less than 4 ypc - so experience does matter. Give Hyp and De five games of experience before Rutgers and you see different running and cutting. You did notice tht Jamison was running best in 4th qtr after he had done some pounding, how did Hyp and De do in the 4th qtr; PP probably waiting for the pounding by 160 lb LM to take its toll on the Rutgers defense before bringing them back in.

All coaches make bad decisions from time to time - and the ones who coach a BCS team to 112th offensively are making bad decisions all the time and get fired.

Do you think there is a talent gap between Uconn and NCST; is there a talent gap between NCST and FSU?
Uconn is 115th in Div 1 in # of 1st downs per game - RIGHT BEHIND MEMPHIS! Boy I wish we had Memphis type talent.

You do know that Tulane is averaging 9 PPG yet put up 12 on Rutgers? And its not like Rutgers scored 80 on Tulane so 12 pts didn't matter, score was 10-6 Rutgers early in the 4TH, Rutgers 24-12.

This coaching staff is so bad, even Kragthorpean isn't descriptive enough.

Reaction Score
You do know that Uconn was 1st and goal down 6 points and was within 1 score into the 4th qtr. You do know Hyp and De have less career carries than LM has in one game and that last year Jamison averaged less than 4 ypc - so experience does matter. Give Hyp and De five games of experience before Rutgers and you see different running and cutting. You did notice tht Jamison was running best in 4th qtr after he had done some pounding, how did Hyp and De do in the 4th qtr; PP probably waiting for the pounding by 160 lb LM to take its toll on the Rutgers defense before bringing them back in.

All coaches make bad decisions from time to time - and the ones who coach a BCS team to 112th offensively are making bad decisions all the time and get fired.

Do you think there is a talent gap between Uconn and NCST; is there a talent gap between NCST and FSU?
Uconn is 115th in Div 1 in # of 1st downs per game - RIGHT BEHIND MEMPHIS! Boy I wish we had Memphis type talent.

You do know that Tulane is averaging 9 PPG yet put up 12 on Rutgers? And its not like Rutgers scored 80 on Tulane so 12 pts didn't matter, score was 10-6 Rutgers early in the 4TH, Rutgers 24-12.

This coaching staff is so bad, even Kragthorpean isn't descriptive enough.

I'm still trying to get a sense of where you are comng from... other than the coaches suck.

Husky 68 - what % of the problem do you target as "coaches/play-calling" related and what % is "execution/player related"?

Reaction Score

I see your point, but Jamison runs about 20 to 30 times a game to showcase his talents... hyppolite and max share 5 carries a game to showcase their talents... Now who's fault is that? Coaches! They barely get time to showcase what they can do! Now McCombs in the other hand gets about 3o to 40 carries to show his talents and I think he drops after first contact about 100% of the time... Now why does he get 30 to 40 carries??? because of the coaches... So let's not defend the coaches here... about almost alll schools in the country rotate their RB's and we don't... But why don't we??? McCombs hasn't shown anything this year to receive all those carries I'm sorry! But the coaches still manages to treat him like Barry Sanders.. Coaching change please!

Reaction Score
We are playing well below our talent level. Way below it.

I've posted recently in the last few weeks that the players should not be absolved for what is going on here. But the coaches are not putting them in the best position to succeed (on offense). Running LM up the middle on dives as much as we have is not putting him in the best position to succeed. Having CW throw on 3rd and long most of the time is not putting him in a position to succeed. Continuing to ask OLinemen to play a scheme that they are A) incapable of grasping and B) incapable of executing is not putting them in a position to succeed. Not utilizing a proven commodity at TE is not putting him in position to succeed.

I can go on about clock management, burning redshirts when you don't have to, losing close games, not winning 2 games in a row, and other things that haven't shown any improvement in year 2, but why bother. Go read the Cuse board. We are saying the same things they said 10 years ago. GDL will not be fired by P. The good news for us is that by time we get to the Dome we'll have about 26 timeouts in our back pocket.

Agree 100% there's a lot of talent here and the coach's are suppose to put them in a position to showcase that talent... In order for players to execute you have to put them in a good position to do so... We have way better talent than ULM and how come there offense is playing dynamite? the coaches put their players in the best position to execute... Constantly running 1 RB a game and not rotating is ridiculous... Then having that 1 RB run up the gut 80% of the time at 5'8 166 lbs is ridiculous... This offense is a joke and when fans say it's the player's not executing... Im sorry, but that's a joke as well...

Reaction Score
This offense is a joke and when fans say it's the player's not executing... Im sorry, but that's a joke as well...

So all the players are executing?

I'll ask you the same question I asked Husky 68 ~ what % of the problem do you target as "coaches/play-calling" related and what % is "execution/player related"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom