Guess how many 3s New Mexico State make today? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Guess how many 3s New Mexico State make today?

CV1

Reaction Score
Announcer said “Arkansas is saying to Teddy Allen you are not going to beat us”. I’d say we beat NM State 98 out of 100 times. Even their second and third options are not hitting shots like they were Thursday. Arkansas coach just said in halftime interview that they had 4 different coverages against Teddy Allen. What was our strategy again? Man to man and hope for the best?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Announcer said “Arkansas is saying to Teddy Allen you are not going to beat us”. I’d say we beat NM State 98 out of 100 times. Even their second and third options are not hitting shots like they were Thursday. Arkansas coach just said in halftime interview that they had 4 different coverages against Teddy Allen. What was our strategy again? Man to man and hope for the best?
Pretty much. He did play the game of his miserable life.

Reaction Score
Everyone already knows deep down that no way Arkansas and Musselman lose this game to
NMSU.

Musselman will follow up last years Elite 8 run last year with at least a minimum Sweet 16 run this year.

Just wait his recruiting class for next year. He is getting big time recruits. It starts at the guard position and Musselman is getting it done.

He and Oats are getting talent especially elite guard and wing talent needed to be successful in March.

PS: Meanwhile we have Dan Hurley who can’t recruit a good point guard or shooters, and chokes when the lights are bright.

Reaction Score
The only “adjustment” I recall was merely switching Jackson and Martin on Allen, but no change in scheme or anything

Reaction Score
When I watched a couple of games of NMS before Thursday, I did not think they had a chance at winning. The stubbornness to not double Allen was a dumb gamble. Hurley does not like to put too much attention on one player. He was probably hoping he would wear himself out and go cold. But you have to physically chill the hot hand. They are not a very good team. They did do a nice job defensively in the first half denying the handoff to Cole, but it was a team we should never have lost to.

Reaction Score
I’d say it differently. If Teddy Allen doesn’t score 37 against us we don’t lose.

Reaction Score
Hurley was relieved to not be playing a Big East game but had no idea how to plan for said game. The fact they were different was worth 10-15 points

Reaction Score
This adjustment should have been made by halftime when it was clear Allen was their only chance at beating us.

Reaction Score
Doubling TE as a defensive strategy isn’t exactly an innovative defense. It’s more of a common sense defense. DH’s failure to do just that was owed to stubbornness, rather than a lack of coaching IQ, at least that’s my optimistic take on things. Hopefully, after enough failures, he may see the light and become more flexible in his thinking.

Hoopcrazee

Hoopcrazee
Reaction Score
Too bad I'm about to lose the really good dinner I had before watching the first half....Woulda coulda shoulda just never dawned on DH????

Reaction Score
Doubling TE as a defensive strategy isn’t exactly an innovative defense. It’s more of a common sense defense. DH’s failure to do just that was owed to stubbornness, rather than a lack of coaching IQ, at least that’s my optimistic take on things. Hopefully, after enough failures, he may see the light and become more flexible in his thinking.
I am a big fan of Hurley. I think he has the potential to be a great coach in the next 5 years. But it is imperative that Hurley understands how important it is to stop the hot hand. When you are playing a team with multiple offensive weapons, you have to be careful doubling. Against Villanova, you can double a few possessions to slow down the hot hand, but you cant do it the whole game. But against a team like NMSU, they really had no other offensive threats. So yes, he has to change that philosophy...We should have never lost to Seton Hall earlier in the season because the same thing happened.

Reaction Score
Maybe just maybe Teddy Allen had a great game against us and we didn’t think he would have that big of impact on the game.

Easy for Mussleman to watch film from two nights ago and see one guy single handily beat us. His came up with his strategy based of how he played against us, we came up with our based on how he played earlier this season. Allen was clearly the best player but was he so good that it requires screening and doubling every play?

Did Allen have 37 against anyone else this season? The rest of the team were pretty lousy shooters all season, but they shot lights out against us.

Reaction Score
Maybe just maybe Teddy Allen had a great game against us and we didn’t think he would have that big of impact on the game.

Easy for Mussleman to watch film from two nights ago and see one guy single handily beat us. His came up with his strategy based of how he played against us, we came up with our based on how he played earlier this season. Allen was clearly the best player but was he so good that it requires screening and doubling every play?

Did Allen have 37 against anyone else this season? The rest of the team were pretty lousy shooters all season, but they shot lights out against us.
He had 4 30 pt games prior to, and one 40 pt game

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom