Guess how many 3s New Mexico State make today? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Guess how many 3s New Mexico State make today?

Reaction Score
Maybe just maybe Teddy Allen had a great game against us and we didn’t think he would have that big of impact on the game.

Easy for Mussleman to watch film from two nights ago and see one guy single handily beat us. His came up with his strategy based of how he played against us, we came up with our based on how he played earlier this season. Allen was clearly the best player but was he so good that it requires screening and doubling every play?

Did Allen have 37 against anyone else this season? The rest of the team were pretty lousy shooters all season, but they shot lights out against us.

No this is not true. Everyone knew that Teddy Allen had the ability to go off, has shown it at other schools in his many stops this wasn’t a surprise to most people.

Reaction Score
Dude. Teddy Alllen scored 37. We didn’t “try” anything. Don’t start with some Stop like anything else mattered. It didn’t. We didn’t try one thing different.

Just saying, their non-Teddy members were torching us from 3 when we weren't leaving one of them unguarded at all times. You think that would have made them shoot worse?

Reaction Score
Doubling TE as a defensive strategy isn’t exactly an innovative defense. It’s more of a common sense defense. DH’s failure to do just that was owed to stubbornness, rather than a lack of coaching IQ, at least that’s my optimistic take on things. Hopefully, after enough failures, he may see the light and become more flexible in his thinking.
My post was sarcastic bro

Reaction Score
Maybe just maybe Teddy Allen had a great game against us and we didn’t think he would have that big of impact on the game.

Easy for Mussleman to watch film from two nights ago and see one guy single handily beat us. His came up with his strategy based of how he played against us, we came up with our based on how he played earlier this season. Allen was clearly the best player but was he so good that it requires screening and doubling every play?

Did Allen have 37 against anyone else this season? The rest of the team were pretty lousy shooters all season, but they shot lights out against us.
I do agree though, even though he had a few big games, Arkansas had an advantage, because they saw him do it against a high-level defensive team...but it still doesn't change that during the game, they should have made some adjustments.

Reaction Score
Amazing how Arkansas is just doubling and forcing Allen to pass to teammates. And, letting his other teammates take, and not make their shots. Even when he shoots, he can only take bad shots.

Does Arkansas have superior defenders to us to make this stifling defense on Allen work? Couldn't Hurley have figured something out that would work?

And those NMSU turnovers. Is Arkansas' defense frustrating them or are they unforced? Like they have 10 turnovers and 1 assist.

Looks like Musselman knows how to game plan.

Reaction Score

You'd think that by, oh I don't know, Allen's 20th point the braintrust on the UConn sideline would say Gee, this guy is dropping some max artillery on us, maybe we should change things up and try to deny him access to shoot at will.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
No this is not true. Everyone knew that Teddy Allen had the ability to go off, has shown it at other schools in his many stops this wasn’t a surprise to most people.
Yeah it’s totally false. Every single report I read or heard focused almost exclusively on him as “the one player who can beat you.” There was no mystery whatsoever.

Reaction Score
Yeah it’s totally false. Every single report I read or heard focused almost exclusively on him as “the one player who can beat you.” There was no mystery whatsoever.
Did every report expect his teammates to shoot 7-11 from 3? This is a massive part to this puzzle that many are refusing to acknowledge. Had they short they’re percentage we still win even if Allen dropped 50.

Reaction Score

Dude. Allen was anything they had all year. My friends casually asked yesterday morning about them and I mentioned that literally every possible news source says they are a one-guy show. Allen was literally all they had all year.

I mentioned Hurley would obviously be doubling and tripling him all night.

We let him go for 37 without doing anything different all game.

Reaction Score
You'd think that by, oh I don't know, Allen's 20th point the braintrust on the UConn sideline would say Gee, this guy is dropping some max artillery on us, maybe we should change things up and try to deny him access to shoot at will.
He didn't score his 20th point until there was 7 minutes left in the game. He had missed his previous 6 shots. He then missed his next 2 shots. We had cut their lead to 1 from 14 by that point.

Reaction Score
Posted this in another thread:

He scored 20+ In 16 games prior to our game
Scored 30+ in 4 games
Scored 41 once this year

During a a stretch from 1/15 to 2/21 he had this crazy stretch

1/15: 41 pts
1/20: 2 pts
1/22: 26 pts
1/29: 28 pts
2/3: 22 pts
2/5: 33 pts
2/10: 20 pts
2/12: 24 pts
2/16: 20 pts
2/19: 30 pts
2/21: 19 pts

During that 11 game stretch he averaged 24.1 pts/gm if you take out the 2 point clunker it’s 26.3 pt/gm

Anyone scouting this team knew Teddy Allen and what he does he wasn’t a secret. Hurley and the staff failed miserably game planning for him

Reaction Score
Dude. Allen was anything they had all year. My friends casually asked yesterday morning about them and I mentioned that literally every possible news source says they are a one-guy show. Allen was literally all they had all year.

I mentioned Hurley would obviously be doubling and tripling him all night.

We let him go for 37 without doing anything different all game.
He wasn’t all they had on Thursday lmaoo. This is revisionist history. Their entire team was on one. It wasn’t just Allen. They made it possible for him to get 1v1 opportunities by hitting 77% of their looks lol

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Did every report expect his teammates to shoot 7-11 from 3? This is a massive part to this puzzle that many are refusing to acknowledge. Had they short they’re percentage we still win even if Allen dropped 50.
So you’re saying our strategy was to let Allen get his and not let the other guys beat us?

Okayyyy

Reaction Score
He didn't score his 20th point until there was 7 minutes left in the game. He had missed his previous 6 shots.
Please don’t share what happened in context. No doubt we need to win that game. But this idea Hurley just sat on his hands and let Allen drop 37 is false. There was much more nuance involved

Reaction Score
So you’re saying our strategy was to let Allen get his and not let the other guys beat us?

Okayyyy
No. I’m saying all of you saying we should’ve triple and double teamed him are ignoring why that maybe wasn’t possible. I’m sure their was an adjustment that would’ve worked. Double and triple teaming him while his supporting cast is knocking down shots at an almost 80% clip isn’t the move.

Reaction Score
They were red hot against us but we still needed a plan B for Allen and there was none. They're cold as ice tonight but only down 4. Amazing.

Reaction Score
I can’t wait to see the narrative if they actually win this game over the great Nate Mussleman. Lol

Reaction Score
Their Whaley aka McCants is playing great this half.
After I posted this he immediately caused a jump ball oreb, drew a charge, then pump faked and drove for a dunk, then got the defensive rebound.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Arkansas is playing pretty poorly offensively . It's a 2 pt game now

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member