Griner Out! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Griner Out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Has Brittany ever competed internationally with USA Basketball yet?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Has Brittany ever competed internationally with USA Basketball yet?

Yes. She wan voted to the 5 player all tournament team at the World Championships. Unfortunately this incident is an opportunity for BG haters to come out of the woodwork. Maybe if she is not allowed to play it will open up a slot for a less deserving player that you like more.

By the 2016 Olympics BF will have completed her counseling and we will be a full year past this incident. How long do you continue to punish a player?

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Barncastle got what she deserved. Anyone who did not see that game cannot imagine how rough Barncastle, and the rest of the TT team, was with BG throughout the game. Every coach used the "get physical" game plan on BG and it came to a head in that game. Shame on the coaches who employed that game plan on a 19 year old kid and on the referees who let it happen. She should have also punched Kristy Curry on the way out of the gym.

That's BS. NOBODY deserves that. The woman has anger management issues.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I don't disagree with you on how rough WCBB players can be, but sorry, ETT, you never saw the abuse Stef took in person. When I went to watch the BET in person (which I've done every year for the past 10 seasons), and when I watched teams like L'ville abuse her in the post, I was horrified. And I was stunned at the huge bruises on her arms and shoulders. That's how hard these teams were hitting Stef. Seeing it in person is far different from seeing it on TV and an awful eye-opener for me.

I also posted that I was stunned Geno didn't go bananas and get ejected because if I were Stef's coach and saw that, I'd have to be held back from attacking the other coach. No coach should allow players to play dirty abusive basketball the way they did against Stef.
Eric - in 1997 Rutgers had a center named Sue Blauser (she transferred and went to play for Grentz, who originally recruited her, after 2 seasons). At a reception we noticed that her arm, from shoulder to elbow, was covered with black and blue marks. She "invited" us to concentrate on her position in the next game and that was my eye-opener. I've also seen claw marks running the length of post player's arms.

Geno won't be going bananas any time soon, because, unfortunately, it isn't rare. It may be worse for a Steph or a Brittany, but it is an (unattractive) part of many games, I've even seen elbowing and fist-pushing at Arizona games.

Reaction Score
DT was covered with many purple bruises from the working over she got each game! But the worst was the clothes-line to her throat knocking her to the floor vs Rutgers in a Big East Tournament game that drove Geno and staff nuts!

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
This case involves violence and it occurred in a domestic environment. So,
by definition, I guess it must be called domestic violence.

And yet, based upon what has been reported, it would seem to be a case of
an argument turning violent, reflecting on the emotional immaturity of the
participants, rather than what most folks would regard as the "classic"
case of domestic violence where on person dominates and habitually physically
abuses another. There is no evidence that I am aware of to indicate that this
case is the "classic" scenario.

But some would like to regard this as a benchmark case upon which a strong
statement can be made by the imposition of substantial penalties. In my view
this case makes a pretty flimsy benchmark. I suspect this will also be the view
of USA Basketball.

I might also add, that since BG is the taller of the two, it is generally supposed
that she dominated and "abused" Glory. I would suggest that physical fights
wherein one person dominates the other do not usually last four to six
minutes. Four to six seconds is closer to the norm.
I support penalties - I just want them to fit the "crime", which, I might add, will be off of her record once she completes her sessions. I accept this is domestic violence, but agree it was not the "classic" case; it never the less has to be punished in some way. I don't see a need for USA basketball to do more than suspend her for a time (not the Olympics) and the W likewise needs to fine and suspend her, but I personally don't think it need be a significant part of the season. Were this habitual or a crime that involved jail time, then of course, a longer punishment would be in order.

I'll add, and I've said this before, while the Rice incident itself was a "classic" case there has never been any evidence that the abuse was or is habitual.

Athletes have got to stop behaving badly, not because I think they should be, but because they are, role models and because they publicly represent their league and team brands.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
For the record, I like Griner and feel badly for her, and don't doubt that Johnson had an equal part in the altercation, but my point was that it's the 2nd time Griner has had a very public physical battle with someone, and I totally disagree that Griner was more abused in the post than Stef was.Totally agree - as I said I like Griner a lot, but 2 very public physical altercations are an indication of a pattern, not a single isolated incident and that was all I was trying to say. I hope she can work thru it because I love her story and am rooting for her!

Two very different events. A punch during a game that had been allowed to get out of hand by the refs and a brawl with fiancé that she may or may not have been the aggressor. I understand your point but I think you are adding 1 and 1 and getting 5.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Everyone wants to bring up the Barncastle incident, which occurred 6 years ago. I understand that fans will want to discuss both incidents, and with good reason, but USAB and the WNBA will only address the current incident and not take into account an incident that occurred during BG's freshman year in college. BG will complete her counseling, the charges will be dropped and all parties will have moved past this by the time the 2016 Olympics roll around. I cannot see that either USAB or the WNBA will allow this to linger as an issue for another year. They will address it ASAP, administer whatever punishment and then put the incident behind them, which is how it should be.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Is Johnson getting the same counselling? What little I read about that fight was that it was pretty mutual.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Is Johnson getting the same counselling? What little I read about that fight was that it was pretty mutual.

It appears that BG has been much more public about the steps that she is taking that Johnson has. Johnson is facing identical charges so I would assume that she will have to take similar steps in order to have her charges dropped.

Let's hope that Johnson does not wait until a second incident of domestic violence before she seeks help.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Yes. She wan voted to the 5 player all tournament team at the World Championships. Unfortunately this incident is an opportunity for BG haters to come out of the woodwork. Maybe if she is not allowed to play it will open up a slot for a less deserving player that you like more.

By the 2016 Olympics BF will have completed her counseling and we will be a full year past this incident. How long do you continue to punish a player?
Thanks ETT- I remember she turned down a spot years ago for the Olympics. And I had forgotten she participated internationally for USA B Ball!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
"horrified" at bruised arms while setting mean screens during a hi-level college basketball game... wow, this isn't ballet

and... Ray Rice pulled his fiancee out of the elevator "by her hair", wow I didn't even notice that while watching the video footage.

the things people say to tarnish someone's character even more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman