Griner Out! | The Boneyard

Griner Out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Griner Opts Out of US Women's Basketball Training Camp

LAS VEGAS Brittney Griner opted out of the U.S. women's national basketball team training camp that began Monday.

The 6-foot-8 star of the Phoenix Mercury was arrested April 22 on suspicion of assault after a fight with her fiancee, fellow WNBA player Glory Johnson. Griner, who was expected to be one of the 27 players at the camp, let USA Basketball know of her choice over the weekend.

"Given all the circumstances of the last couple of weeks, she's got a lot going on. She decided not to attend," U.S. national team director Carol Callan told The Associated Press on Monday. "We're fully supportive of her."

[LINK] to article

Reaction Score
Good for her, and good for the women basketball fans....

Reaction Score
Griner Opts Out of US Women's Basketball Training Camp

LAS VEGAS Brittney Griner opted out of the U.S. women's national basketball team training camp that began Monday.

The 6-foot-8 star of the Phoenix Mercury was arrested April 22 on suspicion of assault after a fight with her fiancee, fellow WNBA player Glory Johnson. Griner, who was expected to be one of the 27 players at the camp, let USA Basketball know of her choice over the weekend.

"Given all the circumstances of the last couple of weeks, she's got a lot going on. She decided not to attend," U.S. national team director Carol Callan told The Associated Press on Monday. "We're fully supportive of her."

[LINK] to article

"The USA Basketball training camp wasn't mandatory, and Griner wasn't the only member of the player pool not in attendance. It won't affect her chances of being on the 2016 Olympic team."

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Poor kid. A lot going on for her. Bummed about the whole assault thing. But given the Barncastle incident and now the assault with her GF, it sounds like she has some anger issues to really get a grasp on. So much pressure on such a young kid - really feel for her and hope she takes some deep breaths and gets her emotional and mental state to a really good place! I love her game, love her story, and am rooting for her big time!

Last edited:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Good for her, and good for the women basketball fans....

Not sure how this benefits women basketball fans, but however it does, good for BG for doing what is best for the female fans...and Glory and herself. I do applaud BG for taking this time to focus on what is most important at the moment, which is her relationship with Glory and her own personal journey to get a handle on her anger issues, which she clearly has.

The thing with anger issues is that they come out when a person does not have time to step back and put what they've learned into practice. When playing basketball one often reacts and I am not convinced that BG can rid herself of the angry reactions. I will not be surprised to see another occurrence on the court, which would probably spell the end of her WNBA career.

Last edited:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
It won't affect her chances of being on the 2016 Olympic team."

I am glad to see that. She has put in a lot of work to become the player she is today and I get the sense that she really wants to represent the USA in 2016. Plus, if she continues to improve she will be almost impossible to stop by next summer.

Reaction Score
Hope she gets things straightened out. At this point, I don't consider her a kid. She's an adult. A professional. And about to make an adult decision.

Reaction Score
Poor kid. A lot going on for her. Bummed about the whole assault thing. But given the Barncastle incident and now the assault with her GF, it sounds like she has some anger issues to really get a grasp on. So much pressure on such a young kid - really feel for her and hope she takes some deep breaths and gets her emotional and mental state to a really good place! I love her game, love her story, and am rooting for her big time!
I agree--Griner has been under inordinate pressure for years--and some anger issues along with it--understandable. However, in this legalized , litigious America anger brings repercussions to the extent unseen previously. I was extra pleased for UConn to beat a Griner led Baylor and was happy Lullyville beat them so Uconn would not have to fight that battle. My heart goes out to Birttany . Hope 2016 brings her happiness and a National Title.

Reaction Score
Hope she gets things straightened out. At this point, I don't consider her a kid. She's an adult. A professional. And about to make an adult decision.
Depends upon your definition---legal 18 or Dr. Phil's 27. If she murdered someone --I'd pick the 18. This was an emotional outburts that exceeded it's limits. If her name was Myldred Threads ---you would not have heard about it and probably no court. So I'll bet her emotional state is more kid like. Humans make mistakes--and some of us are more human than others, ask my wife.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I am certainly on board with folks here who are wishing her future success on and off the court.
I do wonder..as I did a day after the recent brawl with Glory...whether USABasketball itself might disinvite her
from this camp as an orange-level alert to her in an effort to get her attention that a red-level alert might be coming down the road as far as Rio is concerned unless she controls her temper much better.

Nothing offered in these press releases would be in contradiction to that opinion.
USABasketball privately says to her that you have 2 choices:

Withdraw with a statement saying that it is your choice.
Refuse to withdraw and we go public with a bland statement saying that we think your
personal issues should come first...and that we still would love to have you in Rio after you have successfully dealt
with said issues.

Given her talent level, I would guess she has a rather long leash with USABasketball. I would not be a bit surprised
if they told her it just got a bit shorter....and I would be fine with that.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
The "barncastle incident" is complete horse manure. That kid was pounding on Griner the whole game and the refs let it happen. Barncastle really escalated right before Griner decked her. Griner should have maintained her composure, but that was hardly an indication that she is violence prone.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The "barncastle incident" is complete horse manure. That kid was pounding on Griner the whole game and the refs let it happen. Barncastle really escalated right before Griner decked her. Griner should have maintained her composure, but that was hardly an indication that she is violence prone.
I've seen Stef play in person and the amount of beating she took in games, especially in the BET where I saw kids swing at her with closed fists, is far worse than anything Barncastle did during the game. And yet Stef never turned around and popped anyone. Your point is in error if you mean to imply that Griner is the only one who's ever been roughed up during a game. It happens to lots of kids and fights almost never break out.

One incident is not an indication of anything. 2 incidents is a different story. That was my point.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I've seen Stef play in person and the amount of beating she took in games, especially in the BET where I saw kids swing at her with closed fists, is far worse than anything Barncastle did during the game. And yet Stef never turned around and popped anyone. Your point is in error if you mean to imply that Griner is the only one who's ever been roughed up during a game. It happens to lots of kids and fights almost never break out.

One incident is not an indication of anything. 2 incidents is a different story. That was my point.

The poundings that Dolson experienced NEVER came close to what BG endured during her freshman year. But I agree that Dolson does not have the personality type that would lead her to punch someone in the nose. BG documented in her book that she grew up feeling like she had to fight to defend herself from the amount of bullying that she experienced. That is a hard pattern to change and an easy one to fall back into without thinking.

But let me remind everyone, Glory Johnson had a role to play in this, also. It takes two people to fight for 4 to 6 minutes.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

Barncastle got what she deserved. Anyone who did not see that game cannot imagine how rough Barncastle, and the rest of the TT team, was with BG throughout the game. Every coach used the "get physical" game plan on BG and it came to a head in that game. Shame on the coaches who employed that game plan on a 19 year old kid and on the referees who let it happen. She should have also punched Kristy Curry on the way out of the gym.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

Eric I'm having a tough time assigning a whole lot of predictive value the over reaction by a sophmore to being subjected to dirty play while the refs stood by and watched. I think the refs should take a fair amount of the blame as should Barncastle.

I completely agree Steph took a pounding some of which by Griner without punching anyone. I'm not condoning the punch but I don't think it makes her a thrreat to society either.

I've stayed out of discussing the Griner/Johnson event because it is tough to charactorize. I feel like the domestic abuse label isn't a great fit since it wasn't a victimization of one party by another, rather it was more of a brawl. I don't find a lot of predictive value in that either. Of course, I could be wrong.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
"The USA Basketball training camp wasn't mandatory, and Griner wasn't the only member of the player pool not in attendance. It won't affect her chances of being on the 2016 Olympic team."

Yeah, glad that this was pointed out. The headline of this thread implied something else more permanent.

Reaction Score
I have to agree that she will not play in the Olympics. I have read so many articles today criticizing the WNBA for taking this situation lightly and even the comments by Geno that everyone will support Griner. I think in the next couple of weeks we will see a backtrack from the WNBA and a domestic violence policy's. I guess after reading quite a few of these articles today it really made me think how I was giving Griner the benefit of the doubt yet I don't do that with male NFL players. I really doubt we will see Griner in the Olympics and I think that USA basketball was instrumental in having Griner not come to camp.

Reaction Score
Wow. I see a lot of "understanding". I wonder if people would be saying the same stuff if it were a 6'8" man who abused Glory. Would it be ok if it was proven that Glory "tangoed" too? Would his problem be simply characterized as being unable to put into practice what he learned? Would any hearts go out to him...ever...under any circumstances?

Reaction Score
This case involves violence and it occurred in a domestic environment. So,
by definition, I guess it must be called domestic violence.

And yet, based upon what has been reported, it would seem to be a case of
an argument turning violent, reflecting on the emotional immaturity of the
participants, rather than what most folks would regard as the "classic"
case of domestic violence where on person dominates and habitually physically
abuses another. There is no evidence that I am aware of to indicate that this
case is the "classic" scenario.

But some would like to regard this as a benchmark case upon which a strong
statement can be made by the imposition of substantial penalties. In my view
this case makes a pretty flimsy benchmark. I suspect this will also be the view
of USA Basketball.

I might also add, that since BG is the taller of the two, it is generally supposed
that she dominated and "abused" Glory. I would suggest that physical fights
wherein one person dominates the other do not usually last four to six
minutes. Four to six seconds is closer to the norm.

Reaction Score
Wow. I see a lot of "understanding". I wonder if people would be saying the same stuff if it were a 6'8" man who abused Glory. Would it be ok if it was proven that Glory "tangoed" too? Would his problem be simply characterized as being unable to put into practice what he learned? Would any hearts go out to him...ever...under any circumstances?

I can somewhat understand your view in this but if it was a 6'8 man who "tangoed" with Glory I would assume it wouldn't have been as long as a 4-6 minute fight of grappling on the floor that resulted in minor injuries. There is a physical difference between men and women that everyone against women in sports like to bring up in their arguments as to why the women's game sucks but now they are pulling the double standard card. If you can't see the physical difference when comparing this fight to one where a man is involved then you would think the knocks against women athletes would be far less. It was closer by a mile as far as equals from a physical standpoint than say a Ray Rice beating and dragging his drunk woman by the hair out of an elevator. Not saying there shouldn't repercussions for all this but the double standard argument in this case is BS. I think it has more to do with familiarity of the media's audience to the subjects of the crime that has created a less publicized and more understanding view point... stronger feelings about these cases are generally reserved for the Ray Rice's and Floyd Mayweather's of the world.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Barncastle got what she deserved. Anyone who did not see that game cannot imagine how rough Barncastle, and the rest of the TT team, was with BG throughout the game. Every coach used the "get physical" game plan on BG and it came to a head in that game. Shame on the coaches who employed that game plan on a 19 year old kid and on the referees who let it happen. She should have also punched Kristy Curry on the way out of the gym.
I don't disagree with you on how rough WCBB players can be, but sorry, ETT, you never saw the abuse Stef took in person. When I went to watch the BET in person (which I've done every year for the past 10 seasons), and when I watched teams like L'ville abuse her in the post, I was horrified. And I was stunned at the huge bruises on her arms and shoulders. That's how hard these teams were hitting Stef. Seeing it in person is far different from seeing it on TV and an awful eye-opener for me.

So I'm sorry, but unless you can show me where players took Griner out with a haymaker, then what players did with her was no worse than what they did to Stef. And for Stef, the punches she endured probably hurt a lot less than what they did to her with their elbows. I actually made a post on here (during the BET 2 or 3 years back) where I went ballistic over the extreme and insane physical play because I'd never noticed it before and seeing it in person was almost horrifying. I also posted that I was stunned Geno didn't go bananas and get ejected because if I were Stef's coach and saw that, I'd have to be held back from attacking the other coach. No coach should allow players to play dirty abusive basketball the way they did against Stef. And not having seen the entire TTU game, I'm betting what Curry allowed was equally as disturbing and uncalled for as well...

For the record, I like Griner and feel badly for her, and don't doubt that Johnson had an equal part in the altercation, but my point was that it's the 2nd time Griner has had a very public physical battle with someone, and I totally disagree that Griner was more abused in the post than Stef was.
I'm not condoning the punch but I don't think it makes her a thrreat to society either.
Totally agree - as I said I like Griner a lot, but 2 very public physical altercations are an indication of a pattern, not a single isolated incident and that was all I was trying to say. I hope she can work thru it because I love her story and am rooting for her!

Reaction Score
It is very tough to be her and now to get her personal life together..........Best Wishes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom