Got Me Under Pressure
Jesus Just Left Chicago

George Thoroughgood's version of Bad To The Bone

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score
Can't speak to Motley Crue, but the decade from 64-73 for Stones is a top 3 decade for any band ever. All the mentions so far and tbomk nobody has even thrown out their best song opening all time: Gimme Shelter. That is the "Pulse uncut version of Comfortably Numb solo" of song openings, IMO - Taylor and Richards could've played that opening for 10 minutes and you'd still want more.

I'll add the sweet open to Tumblin' Dice to the thread.

Stones have always been my go to. I've been lucky enough to see them dozens of times from 1978 to present and from San Francisco (actually Oakland) with Pearl Jam as opener to Toad's in New Haven and many cities in between. I would plan business trips in the 80s and 90s around their tour schedule.

Anybody else here have tickets to the Hartford 1999 show the same night as the first NC game? I had tix for both nights and gave that night's away to watch the game. I was told that after the encore they put the last D stand with Ricky and the final 12 seconds up on the screen. The game ended before the concert did.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I thought of Aqualung last night myself. And that you could pick any year from say 1964-78, list 100 solid opening riffs from each year and most people would recognize just about all of them. Just look at the list of top 100 albums for 1971, the year Aqualung came out. You can find a great opening riff on just about every one of them.

And on that note, I think I will...

Not only a killer opening, but one of the best codas in RnR history.

I saw a band play this song at a bar on Ft Myers Beach years ago. The keyboard player was outrageously good and totally nailed this and his solo in the song was just amazing. He was so drunk he could hardly stand up, was drooling, played half the song with one hand, and still killed it.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I saw a band play this song at a bar on Ft Myers Beach years ago. The keyboard player was outrageously good and totally nailed this and his solo in the song was just amazing. He was so drunk he could hardly stand up, was drooling, played half the song with one hand, and still killed it.

You sure it wasn't Ian McLagan? He was like 5'4" and legend has it he could drink most everyone here under the table.

Speaking of which, I was so confused with AXS-tv showing episodes of the "Ronnie Wood Show" this summer and calling them "premieres" as one episode featured the late Ian McLagan who passed in 2014. I had to double check that he was still dead.

Reaction Score
Time won't let me by the Outsiders
Purple haze by Hendrix
Bullfrog blues live Rory Gallager
Lots of what has been posted, those are three that come to mind. Here's another I just thought of. Train Train by Blackfoot

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Been ages since I watched that vid. Neither the choreography nor the fashions aged well at all, lol.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
A little off topic, but have youse guys heard Gretta van Fleet? 17, 18 year old kids. Awesome. If you like Zepplin, check these boys out. They are on youtube.

Just played here two weeks ago. Debatable whether the entire band is a Zep knockoff, but lead singer is definitely a Plant wannabe. Pretty controversial on the Pittsburgh reddit forum - comments split between them being a ripoff tribute band and second coming of Christ.

Reaction Score
Mississippi Queen by Mountain
Louie Louie by The Kingsmen
Blind in Texas by Wasp
Damn I am almost 70, I have heard so many songs, they just keep popping in my head ! I'm going to take my old man afternoon nap.

Reaction Score
Just played here two weeks ago. Debatable whether the entire band is a Zep knockoff, but lead singer is definitely a Plant wannabe. Pretty controversial on the Pittsburgh reddit forum - comments split between them being a ripoff tribute band and second coming of Christ.
Robert Plant loves them. Definitely grew up with parents playing Zeppelin. Hey, if the kid has a voice like that, why not use it? Old blues guys could say the same about so many bands. Ripoffs. Music evolves. Styles and songs get passed from generation to generation.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Panama, Beautiful Girls, Hot for Teacher . . .
Almost any Van Halen song has a great opening riff, even the ones on a keyboard (I'll Wait, Jump, Love Walks In, Feels So Good, Right Now, Not enough, Feelings) are somewhat iconic. No matter the singer, the common denominator is Eddie. Just too bad what they've become. I've heard they still put on a good show, but they've basically become a cover of their pre-1986 selves. I've seen Youtube videos and Alex doesn't look like he is having any fun.

For me Panama is in the Pantheon, then there's (Guitar only):
Running with the Devil
Jamie's Crying
Unchained
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Dance the Night Away
And the Cradle Will Rock
Feel Your Love Tonight
Mean Streets
Take Your Whiskey Home
Drop Dead Legs
Good Enough
Best of Both Worlds

Dreams (was played on guitar in concert)
Summer Nights
Back and Blue
Finish Wha'cha Started
Cabo Wabo

Poundcake
Top of the World
Runaround
Don't Tell Me What Love Can Do
Take Me Back (Deja vu)

among others.

Reaction Score
I Could list 10 by Zeppelin, When The Levee Breaks, Trampled Under Foot, The Song Remains The Same, Moby Dick, Kashmir, Whole Lotta Love, etc...but my favorite Zep opening is:

Good Times Bad Times - The first two notes will make you snow your pants if you aren't ready for it!
Gimme Shelter - Stones
Cowgirl In the Sand - Neil Young
Have A Cigar - Pink Floyd
Ball and Biscuit - White Stripes
Roadhouse Blues - The Doors
Rocker - AC/DC
Stranglehold - Ted Nugent
Spoonman - Soundgarden
Woodstock - CSNY
How Do You Like Me Now - The Heavy
Down South Junkin' - Skynyrd

Online statistics