Great opening song riffs | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Great opening song riffs

Reaction Score
Greatest opening riff........

"Soldier Boy"

I'm flabbergasted that no one mentioned it. Until now.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
When reading other boards like the old A.V. Club discussing favorite guitarists/; Eliot Easton gets a lot of love for his efficient style.
He had a solo album in mid 80s. Really good.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Deadheads will roar at the first notes of:
Help on the Way
Dark Star
St. Stephen.

The Dead welcomed me to California with Help Slip Frank opener at Shoreline back in '90. Good time had by all.

Reaction Score
i mean stairway to heaven is a trite answer but the first time listening to that baked changed a lot of lives
Over-rated.

Not that it's not a great riff or a great song, but relative to its reputation of ZOMG STAIRWAY

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Deadheads will roar at the first notes of:
Help on the Way
Dark Star
St. Stephen.

The Dead welcomed me to California with Help Slip Frank opener at Shoreline back in '90. Good time had by all.

Well since you went there, I feel obligated to respond with this classic opening riff as our chief resident deadhead despises the leg kick...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is an awesome thread. So interesting because everyone has a few songs that immediately pop in their head.

When I hear "opening riff" this is the first song that comes to mind:

Pixies - Here comes your man

Reaction Score
Simple and old.

But, in my opinion, you can hear all these opening riffs posted in this thread in this one:

Reaction Score
Another Tool one with a great bass open - Forty Six & 2. Just figured I'd throw some bass in here. I'll look for Triangle riffs next.

Reaction Score
Simple and old.

But, in my opinion, you can hear all these opening riffs posted in this thread in this one:

Everly Brothers Bye Bye Love

A bit of an overstatement, but it's interesting how the song experiments instrumentally in the beginning before falling into the typical formula for rock & roll songs of the era. The envelope didn't really get pushed until this:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
He had a solo album in mid 80s. Really good.
Eliot Easton also notably produced and played on Amy Rigby's "Diary of a Mod Housewife"
Here, "20 Questions"

Last edited:

Gutter King

Let me drop a deduce on ya
Reaction Score
The Guess Who - No Time
T. Rex - Get It On
The Men - Church of Logic Sin and Love (Does anyone remember this one? Everything was Aquamarine.....Aquamarine)
Muse - Supermassive Black Hole

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The mention of "church" brought Lords of the New Church "Russian Roulette" immediately to mind.

And in the strange way minds often put things together, the opening of Russian Roulette took me way back to this trippy thing. Every kid with a guitar in 1968 learned how to play those four notes and saved up their paper route money for a wah-wah pedal.

These guys never did diddly again in US but are still huge in Europe 50 years on.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Never post and could give a rat's patootie about Nugent, but I have to take exception to the guy who said "Stranglehold" is his only good song. "The Great White Buffalo" is one of the greatest pure rock songs ever.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom