Great Danes 61, BCU Beagles 57 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Great Danes 61, BCU Beagles 57

Reaction Score
Yup.

The purpose of the athletic department is to (hopefully) connect your school's name with winning and excellence. It's a marketing tool, and a potentially powerful one.

The northeast P5 schools are happy to just be in the club, but looking at it in terms of prestige earned for the investment, it's not so clear cut.
Yeah that's my perspective also. As a fan all I care about is the teams I follow winning a lot. I don't care how much money the athletic deaprtment makes. But if making more money helps the winning, or if not making enough money impedes the ability of those teams from winning more, then yeah it would be more beneficial to be P5. In terms of the men's basketball team I think UConn can still win without being P5. We're in the middle of knowing if it's possible. Football is another story though.

Reaction Score
Pitt & Cuse do have a major football tradition so don't really blame them. Cuse had Jim Brown, Ernie Davis, Floyd Little. Pitt had Marino and Dorsett, Ditka, Revis, Fitzgerald..we're talking some of the greatest players in football history so Football drives the ship for them just like Basketball should drive UConn ship.
BC had a short QB once too.

Reaction Score
The best part about BCU in the ACC is even despite their ACC money, they have nothing to show for it. Alumni Stadium is a dump. The facilities for the athletes are average at best. They hire a basketball coach from the CAA -- really not stretching that budget despite the ACC funds. All of that to go 2-6 in the ACC in football and squeeze into a bowl game in Annapolis vs East Carolina. So have to wonder where all that money is going, or more likely which school executives are lining their pockets at the expense of the student-athletes and the "super" fans. Great success all around!

Reaction Score
Things could have been a lot different. Imagine if you will, the Big East programs got together and figured out it wasn't going to work long term. Miami, UCONN, Syracuse, Pitt, Va Tech, WVU, Rutgers, Cincy, L-Ville could have split off and possibly merged with the ACC in one fell swoop. That would have kept the Big East flavor and Northeast interest much higher than the way it dissolved.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
You are right. BCU athletics are a smashing success in the ACC.
He’s not wrong. Obviously the BE is a great hoops move, but much of the rivalry allure of the OBE is totally gone. And then there is football. From a pure competition point of view, football would get a shot in the arm from a move into the ACC. If being an Indy makes us better off than being in a decent conference is unknowable I doubt it. Obviously Cuse and BC are wallowing competitively in hoops. Would we have the same fate? Who knows.

Reaction Score
I wouldn’t say MUCH, I would say “some”.
There are still plenty of old regional rivals in the league. I never considered Seton Hall a big rival but they will likely become one over time because they are a good basketball program. Better than Cuse and Pitt right now.

The Big East is off to a great start. Enjoy the conference play. Meanwhile the ACC couldn’t be much more embarrassing quite frankly.

This is our first year attending Big East games again in person. It’s about to get intense.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Obviously Cuse and BC are wallowing competitively in hoops. Would we have the same fate? Who knows.
I say no. If we were added it would have helped all three, like a 3-legged stool. A stronger northern presence together. But they were too busy sticking the shiv to see it. Instead, they they are floating alone, just like a couple of stools.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
Yes but they don’t want to leave because the money is so much more from football? Is that right?

I don't get it though... with all this money they should be investing in the athletic program and I see places like SU begging for money to upgrade athletic facilities. Sounds like not as lucrative as it sounds in the ACC for those who left for green pastures.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Yes but they don’t want to leave because the money is so much more from football? Is that right?

Yes, the schools get a ton more money, it's a financial bonanza

But in athletic accomplishments, what us fans care most about, they're a complete and utter bust

I would love for the school to get 15 million or so more dollars every year, but not at the expense of being losers in everything

The Karma Gods are nasty. You don't want to mess with them

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Can't wait until the NBE becomes the best conference in college basketball. Just like the original

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
You are right. BCU athletics are a smashing success in the ACC.
I am right. My point wasn't about how good we'd be in the P5, it's just that we'd all take it, and every fan would celebrate like a kid on Christmas. That's why judging them for making the move is illogical.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Can't wait until the NBE becomes the best conference in college basketball. Just like the original
That isn't happening until Gonzaga joins.

Reaction Score
I am right. My point wasn't about how good we'd be in the P5, it's just that we'd all take it, and every fan would celebrate like a kid on Christmas. That's why judging them for making the move is illogical.
A lot of it is about the timing of it all. They never should have opened the floodgates to conference realignment and never should have left the Big East.
BC was widely mocked at the time for making the move (outside of Cheatnut Hill that is).
Even without BC I was perfectly fine with what was left and am still pissed ESPN worked to split up the league in round 2 after the league went to open market.
Unfortunately Pitt and Syracuse didn’t have the guts to say no once ESPN started making its move via the ACC.
Regardless the new Big East has acquitted itself quite well and BC and Cuse

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Once ESPN decided that UConn's athletic program had to die, I can see why so many schools bolted. Who wanted to stand up to ESPN in 2011?

Reaction Score
Pittsburgh basketball lost to Monmouth
Huskies escaped them by 3 points in OT a few years ago in a year they finished 10-20 and under .500 in their conference....

Reaction Score
There will be more excitement in the XL on Saturday alone then there has been in BCU's entire program over last decade.

And probably more fans in the stands Saturday than BCUs total for home games over that decade.

Reaction Score
I'm more afraid of farfegnugen.
I remember !!

1639572005406.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member