Great bands with great instrumentalists | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Great bands with great instrumentalists

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Julliard trained Neil Sedaka was a concert level classical pianist. Here is an example.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Two great power trios (Experience and Cream) have been cited. The Who are pretty much a power trio plus vocalist. Pete Townsend is maybe a top-ten guitarist, but John Entwistle and Keith Moon are among the best ever on bass and drums. Here's an instrumental of theirs, beauty in simplicity:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Led Zeppelin are another power trio plus one, and every one of them was among the best. This cut also showcases John Paul Jones's keyboards. This song sometimes ran over 20 minutes in shows, with Jones riffing on the piano in the middle.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Here's a current power trio, all fantastic musicians, very much in the tradition of the Who, Cream, Led Zepp:

Reaction Score
Despite his successes his bands were NOT generally recognized as being comprised of all time "great" musicians. Though perhaps Mick Ronson's career puts him in the conversation. However, in 1976 Ian Hunter would release an album with a powerhouse lineup including Queen doing backup vocals, David Sanborn and Jaco Pastorius. The track below features one of the most replicated bass lines in popular music by Jaco. Glen Campbell was also great and often left out.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Led Zeppelin are another power trio plus one, and every one of them was among the best. This cut also showcases John Paul Jones's keyboards. This song sometimes ran over 20 minutes in shows, with Jones riffing on the piano in the middle.

No music expert but Jimmy Page is an absolute virtuoso musician to me. By that measure I think he edges out other guitar players. Fast or slow, hard or delicate he could do it all. As much as I love Garcia, Trucks, Hendrix it just feels different.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Possibly the greatest jazz trio in history.
The incomparable Oscar Peterson on piano. Barney Kessel on guitar and Niels-Henning Orsted Pederson on bass.
Mind boggling piano playing.

Love Oscar Peterson. Fantastic. Also had the privilege of somehow buying front row tickets to see Michel Petrucciani at the Montreal Jazz Fest some 25 years ago. Most incredible playing I've ever witnessed close up. We were angled perfectly behind him as he walked with crutches to the stage, lifted himself to the bench, spread his arms like a condor and launched into the jazz stratosphere. Still gives me chills.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
In terms of sheer artistry on a breathtaking variety of instrument, Gentle Giant are at the top of my list. This one has each of them switch instruments a couple of times.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
In Robert Fripp, Adrian Belew, and Tony Levin, King Crimson has three great strings players. Add in Bill Bruford banging things and they make one hugely artistic band. Here’s my favorite piece of theirs — I can’t find the quartet version; they have a second Stick player and a second percussionist here.

Reaction Score
Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band - Clarence Clemons, Steve Van Zant, and the rest. In this video they get to individually show of their chops. Amazing to watch them put a song together.

I was at this show in Germany. However, if you ever want to see a background band for Bruce Springsteen really show their talents from an instrumental standpoint search for any song from the Seeger sessions band tour.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Chicago had great horn players as well as an awesome lead guitarist. One of the best live performances.

Terry Kath was an amazing guitarist ... and he kept getting better. His accidental death at such a young age was a true tragedy.

Reaction Score
Genesis featuring Phil Collins. Sorry you have to wait over 5:30 for the drum kick-in. Still a great song.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom