Gotta Wonder what opponents think preseason | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Gotta Wonder what opponents think preseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
When I look at UConn next year, I would say the way to beat you is to play a slower tempo and get the ball inside. I think next year that UConn will struggle on the boards, but be very disruptive on the defensive end, especially on the perimeter, be lethal in transition and from behind the arc. I'm not sure how the post depth will affect you guys yet.
You do realize that Uconn just won the NC with a 6 player rotation in a season where many folks where fixated on lack of Uconn depth.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
let me make this easy for the vistors on this board. Aj'a Wilson just committed to USC. Do you think that will stop or interfere with UConn win a NC, being favored to win at least the next two NCs? If UConn gets Samuelson and Durr along with Boykin plus their roster of players do you think any team in WCBB will be ranked ahead of them in the polls. Next question who can beat UConn?

Reaction Score
When I look at UConn next year, I would say the way to beat you is to play a slower tempo and get the ball inside. I think next year that UConn will struggle on the boards, but be very disruptive on the defensive end, especially on the perimeter, be lethal in transition and from behind the arc. I'm not sure how the post depth will affect you guys yet.
Really? Stokes is the best rebounder in wcbb. And maybe best shot-blocker too.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
South Carolina and Tamu return all key players.
Tenn largely does too.

Losing stef and Bria is not trivial.
Beat me to the punch- A & M is going to be really good - they lost their good post player, but have a highly recruited 6'6" soph starting next yr I think. Gary B had some lg and good recruiting classes. they are deep, still young and very athletic. They could be dangerous if that young post is effective at least on defense end!
So Car should be flat out really good!

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Volfan. UConn has Stokes 6'3 Stewart 6'4 Tuck 6'3 KML 6'0 all terrific rebounds and scorers. What makes you think this disciplined, methodical UConn machine will struggle? Against who? South Carolina, Duke, MD, Stanford, Baylor we dont play Tenn and if we did we would embarrass them. Let me say this. UConn beat MD Duke Ohio ST and Cal without Tuck and KML on the road. So who do you think will beat or compete with a more experienced and deeper UConn team next season? If UConn loses a game this season by less then 10 pts it will be because of major injuries or a fluke.
And highly ranked Penn State on Sunday right after Md Fri game 2 starters down!

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Tony is your suggestion that all teams not show up next year since they will be so "demoralized" that they can't beat UConn?

A few points:

UConn is only one team, and only 20 teams play them a year. Do you think during, say, the Penn State-Ohio State game, the teams are absorbed with the fact that they can't beat UConn? And it's not like, for example, getting to the Final 4 is a given for any team, whether or not they can beat UConn.

Second, Geno is the best coach in WCBB. But like any coach, he can't win without the proper talent. I may be wrong, but I don't think Geno has won a title without the best player in college basketball on his team. and most of the time, that player was also targeted as the best player in her class coming out of HS (See: DT, Moore, Charles, Stewart, KML--who account for 7/9 championships--and a lot of those he had two #1 HS players on his team). This is not a knock on Geno--the same is true for a majority of the championship teams in WCBB (it's no accident Summit's last 2 championships came when she, and not Geno, had the best player in the nation on her team).

Finally, the teams with championship aspirations and attitudes next year will treat UConn as both a tremendous challenge and opportunity, and utilize their strength as motivation to get better.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Volfan. UConn has Stokes 6'3 Stewart 6'4 Tuck 6'3 KML 6'0 all terrific rebounds and scorers. What makes you think this disciplined, methodical UConn machine will struggle? Against who? South Carolina, Duke, MD, Stanford, Baylor we dont play Tenn and if we did we would embarrass them. Let me say this. UConn beat MD Duke Ohio ST and Cal without Tuck and KML on the road. So who do you think will beat or compete with a more experienced and deeper UConn team next season? If UConn loses a game this season by less then 10 pts it will be because of major injuries or a fluke.
TonyC- did you mean if they win by less than 10pts!

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Tony is your suggestion that all teams not show up next year since they will be so "demoralized" that they can't beat UConn?

A few points:

UConn is only one team, and only 20 teams play them a year. Do you think during, say, the Penn State-Ohio State game, the teams are absorbed with the fact that they can't beat UConn? And it's not like, for example, getting to the Final 4 is a given for any team, whether or not they can beat UConn.

Second, Geno is the best coach in WCBB. But like any coach, he can't win without the proper talent. I may be wrong, but I don't think Geno has won a title without the best player in college basketball on his team. and most of the time, that player was also targeted as the best player in her class coming out of HS (See: DT, Moore, Charles, Stewart, KML--who account for 7/9 championships--and a lot of those he had two #1 HS players on his team). This is not a knock on Geno--the same is true for a majority of the championship teams in WCBB (it's no accident Summit's last 2 championships came when she, and not Geno, had the best player in the nation on her team).

Finally, the teams with championship aspirations and attitudes next year will treat UConn as both a tremendous challenge and opportunity, and utilize their strength as motivation to get better.
Thank you. Although I would say it a bit differently, you hit exactly what I was thinking:

- While everyone's chance at a NC may very well run through UConn, everyone's chance at a successful season doesn't. And most of the world of WBB doesn't think a National Championship is the ONLY definition of a successful season.

- I was kinda confused by some of the comments, but the gist I think is what I have read before - UConn doesn't get the best players and it is a faulty argument for opponents to blame losses to UConn on UConn having better personnel. My answer is that - on the whole, collectively - UConn is the most talented team. That said, the most talented team doesn't always win. The talent at UConn with the coaching combined produces the product. If Geno had to coach the talent at, say, Houston, he wouldn't be winning any NC's, even if he might be much more successful than any other coach could be.

- and finally, I always like Tony's enthusiasm, but writing about the despair in the WBB world and the hopelessness of any other teams plight - and then claiming that a dominant program such as UConn (or Tennessee in the day) is "good" for the sport, just don't mesh. If it was really that bad, why would anyone bother to watch any other team or root for anyone else?

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
What are those teams thinking?

1. We need to work both harder and smarter.

That's it. That's what they're thinking. It's the same thing any sprinter who isn't Usain Bolt is thinking. Gotta keep working.

Of course, what's UC0nn thinking?

1. We need to work both smarter and harder.

Reaction Score
The University of Wisconsin also has a great dairy bar. We are, after all, the Dairy State.
Yeah, but if you don't eat it real quick, it turns to cheese and ends up on somebody's head!:D
'

Reaction Score
You can't be serious. Geno has been to the White House several times. He is enshrined in two Halls of Fame. He will coach the USA Olympic team again. He makes earns more money than any other wcbb coach, ever. His trophy case overflows. He is worshipped by fans.

And so on.

We should all get so little credit.:rolleyes:
I think there is a sentiment that it's the fact that Geno and UConn get the best ballplayers and not that Geno is head and shoulders, the best coach in women's basketball. He does get some great players (not all) but one reason is that these players want to play for and be coached by THE BEST! He built UConn from nothing so it's obviously an advantage to now have great players but he really didn't in the early days (his first 8-10 years). The fact that some people don't get it that before he had great players he was still a great (and successful) coach.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
How great is Geno? Well just look at his record. He has done things that no other coach has. His record breaking win streaks, and undefeated seasons are monumental. At other programs when a teams beings their season with a 10-0 record people begin to talk about a win streak or a possible undefeated season. We at UConn expect it. Other schools are trying to win their conference or make the NCAAs. At UConn we expect it.

I read well the reason Geno wins so much and sets and breaks all those records is because he gets the best players. Well let me ask you this. Why don't other coaches get the best players? Why do most of the top players want to play for Geno and UConn? That's another reason why he is go great. Because he has set himself and his team at a level that no other team can compete with. Think about this. This past season ND was undefeated and played in what many feel was the best conference in WCBB. UConn blew them out in the NC and didn't shoot well from the outside. Blew them out.

Many fans are still comparing Geno to Pat. There is no comparison any more. Geno has a winning record againest Pat and Tenn during the regular season and in the Championship games. He holds more NCs wins then Pat. IMO he will have the most wins in WCBB so long as he stays healthy. He has more undefeated seasons then any coach in WCBB.

The final question. Why does Geno get the best players? Answer Because he is Geno.

Reaction Score
The University of Wisconsin also has a great dairy bar. We are, after all, the Dairy State.
We've been invaded by WI fast food down here in Fort Myers--Cheryl and I have seen 3 Culver's restaurants open up in the area in the past year, with more being built. Enough cheese curds to block all the arteries in SWFL...

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Rather than just dismissing (or insulting, as in the case of a now-deleted post) our visiting friends, how about engaging them in some actual discussion?

Yes, Geno is a great coach and UConn returns a lot of talent but folks are forgetting some of the awful lulls the Huskies had on offense this past year -and that's WITH Bria and Stef. The defense saved the team in several games and, fortunately, I feel the D is going to remain very good next season.

But the civil and respectful Vol fan is right - if the opponent can control the tempo and make the team play half-court offense, that's its best chance of winning the game, especially since Stef graduated and Kiah hasn't shown she wants to score (yet!). Even if Stewie gets 30 points, if the opponent can keep Kaleena under, say, 15 points who is going to score the other 20 points needed to win the game?

So, suppose the opponent can slow down the game and make UConn play half-court. Who can score? Will the young freshman guards be able to handle opponents' pressure? How big of a role will Brianna Banks and Saniya Chong be able to play? Assuming Morgan can come back healthy, will she be able to contribute right away? After all, she's had a big layoff and don't forget Bria's struggles to get back to form after her injury. Food for thought.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I feel pretty certain that Dawn Staley is not sitting around thinking that she does not have the talent to beat UCONN. UCONN lost two All-Americans, which seems to be a fact that some are not considering as a major impact next season. Losing Dolson and replacing her with Stokes is quite a bit of a downgrade. And replacing Hartley with Chong or one of the freshmen is huge. Hartley had developed into a tremendous go-to player and that will be hard to replace.

However, I still consider UCONN to be the favorite to win the NC, although I think that USC is closing the gap in talent and may be the most talented team in the nation this coming season. Their inside game is going to be monstrous. That game at UCONN will be the game of the year.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I feel pretty certain that Dawn Staley is not sitting around thinking that she does not have the talent to beat UCONN. UCONN lost two All-Americans, which seems to be a fact that some are not considering as a major impact next season. Losing Dolson and replacing her with Stokes is quite a bit of a downgrade. And replacing Hartley with Chong or one of the freshmen is huge. Hartley had developed into a tremendous go-to player and that will be hard to replace.

However, I still consider UCONN to be the favorite to win the NC, although I think that USC is closing the gap in talent and may be the most talented team in the nation this coming season. Their inside game is going to be monstrous. That game at UCONN will be the game of the year.
Just like you told everyone that Baylor would be a top 10 (or was it top 5) team even with the graduation of Griner and 3 other starters, and ND for a few years told everyone how ND would be right there with Uconn even with the graduation of AA 's UConn fans will state the same about losing Dolson and Hartley.

And while posters will minimize their teams losses, they will maximize the loses of other teams.

This is not new or shocking.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
And while posters will minimize their teams losses, they will maximize the loses of other teams.

Permit a variation on a popular Alexander Pope quote:

"Hope springs eternal in a poster's text."

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Actually Nan, there were lulls last year, perhaps more than this year
In the semi-finals against ND (2nd half), there was this yucky stretch of just passing the ball to ND…who couldn't take advantage, as noted by the commentators. This season, Bria was much more consistent until the last few games. But as noted the D was stifling and the inside game spectacular.

I'm absolutely not concerned about making up the points. I think the freshman group of guards and wings is one of the most gifted and prepared to hit the Ct. hardwood in a while; shooters, defenders, leapers, pests. By their sophomore year they will be a monster dominating group on both ends.And we'll get plenty from them next season

We certainly didn't get dominating offensive production from the guards in the NCAA's and it didn't slow us down a wit.I rather expect this area to improve next season.

And let's not forget the travails of last season and the admitted discomfort of the staff in dealing with the talented newcomers.

Geno learned a lot from that season and is much the wiser for it…Exactly how and why, we'll have to wait for his tell-all autobiography.

But you can see it on the face of Moriah and how in the post-game celebrations she was always near. Almost adoring, They're joined at the hip.

Replacing Steff is more problematic, but those that have played the statistics game of extending Kiah's minutes have a point.
And even if the offensive production is somewhat diminished, the Bill Russell effect will be enhanced.

And Dawn has yet to show that she can manage talent to anywhere near the effect that our staff can. Perhaps she'll figure it out, but not this season. I do expect UTenn to be better, Holly is ready for her growth spurt. Is there anyone else?

ND will be fine, North Carolina still has a lot of talent. The California teams will be better.

The South Carolina game will be like Maryland or Notre Dame, this year.

I know that this is seeing things through rose-colored glasses. I just don't see where serious competition is coming from.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Just like you told everyone that Baylor would be a top 10 (or was it top 5) team even with the graduation of Griner and 3 other starters, and ND for a few years told everyone how ND would be right there with Uconn even with the graduation of AA 's UConn fans will state the same about losing Dolson and Hartley.

This is not new or shocking.
And our freshmen will be great right off the bat and yours will struggle to adjust to the college game.

Such is fandom.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score

But Volfan, taking the ball inside against Stewie and Stokes and KML and Morgan might not lead to happy consequences.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
And our freshmen will be great right off the bat and yours will struggle to adjust to the college game.

Such is fandom.

The RN is not really a freshman.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
1) With Stewie and Stokes and Tuck rebounding and blocking shots, and making outlet passes, how is anybody going to be able to slow the Huskies down?
2) If Stewie and Kaleena get 35 points between them, MoJet and BB and Saniya and Morgan and Stokes really ought to be able to pick up another 20. Kiah will probaby get 10-12 just on put-backs.
3) How many teams are going to be able to put up 65 points against the Husky defense, anyway? Not many, I imagine.
4) If you were a betting person, which opponents, if any, would you not be willing to give ten points to?
5) Next year's team may or may not be "as good as this year's team". But they will be head and shoulders better than anyone else's team. As with this year's team, it would take a perfect storm of bad shooting by UConn and an almost perfect game by an opponent for the Huskies to lose a game, including the final four and the NC. It could happen, but it shore ain't likely. (Bar serious injuries, of course.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom