Gotta Wonder what opponents think preseason | The Boneyard

Gotta Wonder what opponents think preseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I was just thinking. What do other teams think coming into this season. It almost a given that UConn will be number 1 and that must be tuff on other teams. Most know they can't beat UConn. Think about this. Last season UConn was number 1 and ND number 2 in the polls and both were undefeated then Uconn blew ND out in the Championship game. UConn without Tuck and ND without Achonwa. This showed the huge separation between UConn and everybody else in WCBB. The big difference this season is UConn will still have a strong nucleus coming back and those other top teams don't. Those other teams at the top of the polls can't even think about how good UConn is.

With another win streak at 46 games and counting which in itself is unbelievable opponets got to be thinking how can we beat UConn. Its got to be demoralizing knowing that you most likely can't. When UConn looses its considered a fluke. This season looks like more of the same, unless injuries play a big part of the season but even that last season didn't stop UConn. Think about it as an opponet. Opponets and the WCBB world thinking KML and Tuck are injured and UConn has a short bench and UConn has scheduled on the road, MD Duke Ohio St and Cal. Most UConn fans were concerned and UConn haters were rejoicing thinking finally UConn will lose. Opponets must've been thinking finally we have a terrific chance and should beat them. Then they walk out on the floor and the game isnt close. How demoralizing. This showed how good this team really is. You think your good then there is UConn good.

So my thoughts for this season are get Tuck and everybody else healthy. Our freshman class coming in is terrific...again. Geno mentioned he thinks we get 4-5 of the top recruits which include Collier (verballed) Boykin, Samuelson, and Brown followed by another top recruit the following year Durr. UConn will be reloading again. How must it feel to be playing for another team knowing that your chances of winning a NC are nil. I dont mean to sound like Im boasting. Its reality. Kids who verbal to teams other then UConn are facing that.

As great as what UConn has done Geno continues not to be satisfied. He continues to improve his team. He continues to attrak the very best players. He has set the bar so high that only he can reach it. The separation between UConn and everybody else isn't close.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Geno mentioned he thinks we get 4-5 of the top recruits which include Collier (verballed) Boykin, Samuelson, and Brown followed by another top recruit the following year Durr.

Durr is the same year. 2015.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
usa basketball.jpg

Opposing coach #1: "Good news, when we play UConn they will be missing two of their All-Americans, Dolson and Hartley."
Other opposing coach: "Yeah, but Stewie, KML amd MoJeff are back & better. And Stokes will play center. Plus Tuck is coming back from injury. And they also still have Banks and Chong."
Opposing coach #1: "Did they recruit anyone good."
Other opposing coach: "Just the starting PG from the Canadian National team and Ekmark from California, best pure shooter in the country. Plus two other really good athletic guards."
Opposing coach #1: "Oh crap."

Last edited:

HGN

Reaction Score
TonyC , the gap between UConn and most other programs is still there but I think its closing a little.......We get a lot of our top targets but we don't get them all. If we did , oh what a beautiful world it would be. However , with that said , I do agree that there is still enough of a gap that most other top programs still have much respect for UConn for the next upcoming 3-4 years.

Reaction Score
TonyC , the gap between UConn and most other programs is still there but I think its closing a little..We get a lot of our top targets but we don't get them all. If we did , oh what a beautiful world it would be. However , with that said , I do agree that there is still enough of a gap that most other top programs still have much respect for UConn for the next upcoming 3-4 years.
There are a lot of good players now. More depth and quality in the talent pool than there was just a decade ago. That being the case, UConn can't get all or most of the top players. Inevitably the top talent gets spread out, which is good for the game in the end. The difference to me is Geno. There is a lot he does to build teams and a successful program year in year out, and I think he does not the credit he deserves because from the outside people just say of course UConn should win they have all the very best players, and it's not that simple.

Reaction Score
Opposing teams just have to console themselves with the fact that Breanna only has two years left.

ND and SC are well poised to compete effectively with UConn once Stewie graduates. Until then, it's going to be tough, especially next year.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Penn State has the Creamery and trained Ben and Jerry.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Bria and Stef were 2 1/2 5ths of the most fluid offense and arguably the greatest defensive 5 UConn has fielded and some of us are beating our chests about how everyone is still far behind in the dust. There is a lot of work to do next fall to have the Huskies where we all want them. Sometimes the enthusiasm of some of us diminishes the great effort of the people we root for. Courage, self belief and incredibly hard work are what makes our recruits and our team special.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
There are a lot of good players now. More depth and quality in the talent pool than there was just a decade ago. That being the case, UConn can't get all or most of the top players. Inevitably the top talent gets spread out, which is good for the game in the end. The difference to me is Geno. There is a lot he does to build teams and a successful program year in year out, and I think he does not the credit he deserves because from the outside people just say of course UConn should win they have all the very best players, and it's not that simple.

You can't be serious. Geno has been to the White House several times. He is enshrined in two Halls of Fame. He will coach the USA Olympic team again. He makes earns more money than any other wcbb coach, ever. His trophy case overflows. He is worshipped by fans.

And so on.

We should all get so little credit.:rolleyes:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
You can't be serious. Geno has been to the White House several times. He is enshrined in two Halls of Fame. He will coach the USA Olympic team again. He makes earns more money than any other wcbb coach, ever. His trophy case overflows. He is worshipped by fans.

And so on.

We should all get so little credit.:rolleyes:
However, specifically among opposing fanbases, the view is widely held that UConn wins because it has the best talent, implying that many other coaches could win NC's at the same rate if they were handed the rosters that UConn has. And indeed, it is true that even Geno/UConn don't win NC's very often (if at all) when they don't have the best talent.

The flaw in that argument is that when "best talent" includes players like Stef Dolson, Kiah Stokes, Jessica Moore, Maria Conlon, Kara Wolters, Jen Rizzotti, and others who were less than widely heralded when they arrived at UConn and not always impressive in their early years at UConn, it is not so clear that any other coaching staff would have gotten as much of a contribution from them -- to complement the talents of recognized All-Americans whose names we all know. Without those contributions, the NC's probably wouldn't have been won.

I am not at all sure that the 2013-14 team would have won an NC if it had been coached by other coaching staffs whose teams were in the Top 10 this year. I will avoid mentioning names.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I don't get that argument at all (the one used by opposing coaches) Having the most talent doesn't guarantee you a NC, look at Baylor last year. Or Baylor three years ago. Or Duke any year. Or Tennessee the past five years. Just having a lot of talent means you beat bad teams, struggle against well-coached teams with some talent, and lose to well-coached teams with lots of talent. Yes, UConn gets a lot of great players, but we don't get ALL of them. And it's not like Geno just sits back and lets them do their thing out there; UConn is consistently plays the best team basketball in the country. I'd argue it's almost harder to get talent to buy into a system like Geno's, where they might have to defer to other players. It's much easier to throw a bunch of talented kids out there and let whoever has the ball shoot it (ahem, UNC). That doesn't translate to winning national championships.

Reaction Score
Yup, we've got Geno and they don't....Stewie and they don't....the Dairy Barn and they don't........and, need I mention, we've got one another and they don't. How sunny a thought is that on a dreary day from an old curmudgeon?

(Hoping that this lousy stretch of weather does not dampen the spirits of our visiting recruit.)

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I don't get that argument at all (the one used by opposing coaches) Having the most talent doesn't guarantee you a NC, look at Baylor last year. Or Baylor three years ago. Or Duke any year. Or Tennessee the past five years. Just having a lot of talent means you beat bad teams, struggle against well-coached teams with some talent, and lose to well-coached teams with lots of talent. Yes, UConn gets a lot of great players, but we don't get ALL of them. And it's not like Geno just sits back and lets them do their thing out there; UConn is consistently plays the best team basketball in the country. I'd argue it's almost harder to get talent to buy into a system like Geno's, where they might have to defer to other players. It's much easier to throw a bunch of talented kids out there and let whoever has the ball shoot it (ahem, UNC). That doesn't translate to winning national championships.

"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard." UConn has talent that works hard. That's why UConn doesn't get beaten very often.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
We have the Dairy Bar and they don't.

The University of Wisconsin also has a great dairy bar. We are, after all, the Dairy State.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Yup, we've got Geno and they don't....Stewie and they don't....the Dairy Barn and they don't...and, need I mention, we've got one another and they don't. How sunny a thought is that on a dreary day from an old curmudgeon?

(Hoping that this lousy stretch of weather does not dampen the spirits of our visiting recruit.)

One more thing we "got" : The knowledge that you can have all the natural ability any one can be blessed with, but if you cannot make yourself fit it into a team, well you are just another talent who could have been, looking in. There is no more team centric game than basketball. Get it, or get out.

Reaction Score
When I look at UConn next year, I would say the way to beat you is to play a slower tempo and get the ball inside. I think next year that UConn will struggle on the boards, but be very disruptive on the defensive end, especially on the perimeter, be lethal in transition and from behind the arc. I'm not sure how the post depth will affect you guys yet.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
When I look at UConn next year, I would say the way to beat you is to play a slower tempo and get the ball inside. I think next year that UConn will struggle on the boards, but be very disruptive on the defensive end, especially on the perimeter, be lethal in transition and from behind the arc. I'm not sure how the post depth will affect you guys yet.
Volfan. UConn has Stokes 6'3 Stewart 6'4 Tuck 6'3 KML 6'0 all terrific rebounds and scorers. What makes you think this disciplined, methodical UConn machine will struggle? Against who? South Carolina, Duke, MD, Stanford, Baylor we dont play Tenn and if we did we would embarrass them. Let me say this. UConn beat MD Duke Ohio ST and Cal without Tuck and KML on the road. So who do you think will beat or compete with a more experienced and deeper UConn team next season? If UConn loses a game this season by less then 10 pts it will be because of major injuries or a fluke.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We've got Geno and they don't.
Yes sir! Anyone who follows the game has to realize how well Geno and staff develop players. Everyone even the marginally talented who come here all improve. The ones that have not wanted to do so have transfered to a get your ego petted but not improve situation...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom