Golden State equals "UCONN West" | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Golden State equals "UCONN West"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
honestly. KO's coaching in the 2014 run was legit, and he ran daniels/giffey at the 5 before kerr became a coach. I remember kerr claiming KO's rotations were 'masterful' in the title game vs UK...ollie is really an innovative basketball coach, can't wait to see what he does with new pieces this season.

Yup, was the UF game where Kerr was giving KO plenty of props for his rotations and lineups with the 3 guards and 2 forwards, then KO telling Mike Francesa how he went centerless to force UK to match up with our lineup, basically the same as Blatt having to take Mosgov off the floor. Can't wait for this year now that KO has pieces to work with again, I'd imagine we're gonna see somes stretches of Shonn Miller at the 5 ala Draymond Green.

Reaction Score
For a very long time I stopped watching NBA hoops altogether for a number of reasons(most of them debatable or arguable). About three years ago (aided by the fact that I have NBA TV plus TNT), I started watching again. I was immediately attracted to teams that reminded me very much of the college game because of their style of play, the intense passion and unity of their fans, the designs of their arenas, and, in some cases, the personalities of both their players and coaches. AND, to one degree or another these teams reminded me why I have been a passionate UCONN fan for 50+ years. SO I have t-shirts that I wear regularly for the Blazers, Pacers, Thunder and Warriors.

Clearly, there are many other arguments or reasons for loyalty to any NBA team. However, regarding the NBA Finals, I very definitely wanted Golden State to win. I have never believed(in fact it is one of the turnoffs about all sports) in the "cult of personality"; but only in the "commitment to team". When LeBron made that statement after Game 5 about being the best player in the world I wanted to hurl. In fact, I thought it was, intended or not, a slap in the face to his team mates. There is no doubt Lebron that you will have a special place in NBA history when all is said and done. BUT, this summer I think it might help if you develop some understanding of "team". Maybe you could come to the new basketball facility in Storrs. They do a great job teaching the concept. Then next year you can start the season knowing(with some help from the Cavs front office) that you don't have to do it all by yourself. :)

BRAVO GOLDEN STATE!!! MANY MORE!!!

So, to clarify:

You like UConn --> You like NBA teams that have college atmospheres/passionate fans who play team basketball --> Golden State has a college-like intense atmosphere and are good--> So does UConn --> Golden State is UConn (but out West)?

Sounds like airtight logic to me. You would be like a wizard amongst muggles taking the SAT's.

Reaction Score
So, to clarify:

You like UConn --> You like NBA teams that have college atmospheres/passionate fans who play team basketball --> Golden State has a college-like intense atmosphere and are good--> So does UConn --> Golden State is UConn (but out West)?

Sounds like airtight logic to me. You would be like a wizard amongst muggles taking the SAT's.

Sorry, bro. They got rid of the analogies.

Reaction Score
@aceboon good call it was the florida game, probably one of KO's best coaching jobs. Another great strategy in that run was the post defense vs msu; sending hard doubles late in the clock because their big men were terrible passers. similar to what kerr did with mozgov... sometimes its better to double team the guy who doesn't know what to do out of double teams.

think its interesting how KO is recruiting to build his teams, making size and mobility a priority. guys like wenyen gabriel fit perfectly into what he is trying to do. its totally getting prospects ready for the league on the defensive end, preaching multi-positional abilities etc . I think Miller is closer to 6'5, so it might get a little crazy if KO throws him at the center position, but who knows. definitely interested in seeing it

Reaction Score
Agreed, but too much to ask with the team so depleted. Smith, Shumpert or Jones would have had to had good series and they didn't, although Jones was decent in stretches.

I think in game 4 the Cavs should have just kept pounding to Thompson & Mozgov. They were dominating Green and Lee.

Wanted the Cleveland Lebrons to win, can't stand Golden State fans

Reaction Score
Does that make Portland "UConn Pacific Northwest" and OKC "UConn Midwest"?

What a stupid post.
One thing for sure Deep. After a zillion years on this board your posts are as meaningless as always. Anonymity has allowed you the freedom to be a moron without the risk of getting punched in the face.

Reaction Score
For a very long time I stopped watching NBA hoops altogether for a number of reasons(most of them debatable or arguable). About three years ago (aided by the fact that I have NBA TV plus TNT), I started watching again. I was immediately attracted to teams that reminded me very much of the college game because of their style of play, the intense passion and unity of their fans, the designs of their arenas, and, in some cases, the personalities of both their players and coaches. AND, to one degree or another these teams reminded me why I have been a passionate UCONN fan for 50+ years. SO I have t-shirts that I wear regularly for the Blazers, Pacers, Thunder and Warriors.

Clearly, there are many other arguments or reasons for loyalty to any NBA team. However, regarding the NBA Finals, I very definitely wanted Golden State to win. I have never believed(in fact it is one of the turnoffs about all sports) in the "cult of personality"; but only in the "commitment to team". When LeBron made that statement after Game 5 about being the best player in the world I wanted to hurl. In fact, I thought it was, intended or not, a slap in the face to his team mates. There is no doubt Lebron that you will have a special place in NBA history when all is said and done. BUT, this summer I think it might help if you develop some understanding of "team". Maybe you could come to the new basketball facility in Storrs. They do a great job teaching the concept. Then next year you can start the season knowing(with some help from the Cavs front office) that you don't have to do it all by yourself. :)

I wanted the Warriors too and I love to root against LeBron. And I love ball movement and dislike "Isolation basketball."

But -- I take the opposite view of what made you want to hurl.

I despised LBJ for going to Miami because he an Wade aren't really complimentary players. LBJ was the best in the game / still is and he joined Wade so he can win a title. I get that. But 1st off imo these guys were amazing in the open court. Now when they paly together, teams pack the paint and slow the game down so now I'm supposed to appreciate that as basketball fan?

Secondly, LBJ was /is the best in the game. In the playoffs a 1 or two point game in final seconds he was content in being "a decoy." My God-- the best player in the world was content being a decoy on a last possession play in the playoffs. In other words, he was content to follow Wade.

Third- the media covered for him. When you listen to guys like Colin Cowherd it gets sickening how much they think their hero is near perfect and/or look to tear other greats down to build up their man. All great players have some weaknesses. LBj's collapse in the 10-11 Finals plus his last game struggles vs Celts last game before that he wasn't as aggressive late either-- it could be attributed to nerves. Which is why I think he joined Wade.

Thus it made me sick that the greatest player in the world was a coward. He was better than Kobe for a long time. He was best in NBA for many years. Stop being a coward and hiding behind Wade's skirt. His 1st year in Miami that is what I thought he exactly did. I want the greatest player in the world to act like one. ANd IMO he joined with Wade because he was scared and as mentioned I didn't think they were a good fit. For example, this year he did what he used to do in Cleveland years ago- he tried his best to take over. Now Just look at last year's NBA Finals - LBJ shot 57%. They couldn't stop him. Shot 52% from 3. Why the hell wasn't he taking more shots?

IMO he wasn't taking more shots because he didn't want to offend his buddy DWade. That's cowardly crap and as a fan of BASKETBALL - it upsets me that the best player in the world is concerned about offending teammates this deliberately lowering his game. When he said "I'm the best player in the world"- I loved it. He is. I'll still root against him - but at least for me - he showed he didn't give a damn who he offended - unlike after his 1st year with Heat when he said after they lost or start of next season "he didn't want to wear a black hat because he wasn't like that." What a wimp. When I heard that I thought "You're the best player in the world, act like it you big baby." He is finally acting like it. He IS the best and they had a chance because of his play. Though game 6 he still likes to pretend he is Magic Johnson. That's why in my book he can never be GOAT.

Reaction Score
IMO he wasn't taking more shots because he didn't want to offend his buddy DWade. That's cowardly crap and as a fan of BASKETBALL - it upsets me that the best player in the world is concerned about offending teammates this deliberately lowering his game.

This is why message boards are great. You express a completely baseless opinion, you admit it's just your opinion, and then you explain why your unfounded opinion is the predicate for your assertion that, in this case, Lebron is a coward.

Reaction Score
This is why message boards are great. You express a completely baseless opinion, you admit it's just your opinion, and then you explain why your unfounded opinion is the predicate for your assertion that, in this case, Lebron is a coward.

Or maybe my opinion is correct? I'm not the 1st one that has suggested he used to get nervous and stop driving. Note I said "used to." Heard Stephen A SMith say it among others.

You see what makes these boards so great is that you can offer opinions and even though some posters want to pretend that they are a lawyer - you can basically ignore them and continually post.

Reaction Score
One thing for sure Deep. After a zillion years on this board your posts are as meaningless as always. Anonymity has allowed you the freedom to be a moron without the risk of getting punched in the face.

Oh hogwash. If you wanna meet to discuss the stupidity of that post, I'll buy the beers.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I have no idea what the original post was about, but it had that touchy-feely vibe, so I hated it.

And LeBron can say he's the best player in the world because he's the best player in the world. James carried Cleveland's corpse right through to the Finals and to write that the guy who averaged about nine assists in the series needs to spend the offseason learning how to play on a team is just dopey.

Reaction Score

I think this is why message boards are great, pathetic dbags like you can sit in your own filth and toss personal insults. Just hop from thread to thread looking for someone to act like a dick to, at a time you got under my skin but now I just find it so entertaining (at your expense)

Reaction Score
I think this is why message boards are great, pathetic dbags like you can sit in your own filth and toss personal insults. Just hop from thread to thread looking for someone to act like a dick to, at a time you got under my skin but now I just find it so entertaining (at your expense)

You seem pretty upset here.

Reaction Score
You seem pretty upset here.

Do I? Its fitting for you to pick up the fight since you're basically BigErnMcDBag Jr, but I tend to see some valid posts from you that aren't simply to pile on or prod at someone and offer nothing else to the conversation.... some

Reaction Score
Do I? Its fitting for you to pick up the fight since you're basically BigErnMcDBag Jr, but I tend to see some valid posts from you that aren't simply to pile on or prod at someone and offer nothing else to the conversation.... some

You might want to look and see who is getting nasty and calling people names here. BEMC was arguing with a post that stated, unequivocally, that LeBron is a coward. This is a nonsense opinion, and it deserves derision. If you post stupid things on the Internet, in a public forum such as this, you shouldn't be surprised when people disagree with you.

Reaction Score
I thought the Clips/Spurs series was good.
I thought anything with LBJ in it was good.
I thought the rest was fairly boring.
I didn't watch the NBA from early 90s through to a few years ago, which coincided w/LBJ going to Miami. Watched his runs there, and now this year.
In a few years, when he retires, I'll probably stop watching the NBA again.
I recognize that the run and gun style of the GSWs is probably the future of the NBA, along with all of the moving screens, shirt grabbing, and crappy defense throughout the NBA, but I'm just not entertained by a watching ever more 3 pointers get jacked up. Run down, no D, jack the 3. Run down, no D, jack the 3. Make it 2.5 points or get rid of it altogether - it's become too easy.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Once again, the NHL trumps the NBA. All of the NHL games are good, only a few NBA games were. That's why the NBA sells "stars" instead of the game.

Reaction Score
Once again, the NHL trumps the NBA. All of the NHL games are good, only a few NBA games were. That's why the NBA sells "stars" instead of the game.

The reason the NHL is "better" is because there is no such thing as unsportsmanlike conduct. You don't get in trouble for talking smack (to players or referees), its a full contact sport so there's no room for pu****s or complaining, and it's extremely high paced.
BUT, the NHL regular season is just as brutal as the NBA's.

Reaction Score

I was intrigued by your title and had hoped you dive more into that thought. Now I didn't quite have that same thought the other day, but did enjoy Golden State's style of play. I wouldn't say that our style is just like theirs, but there are some similarities. Neither deploys much of a post game, nor a throw it in and kick it back style either. They both play a lot of screen, drive, kick-out, midrange, etc. type of action. The one thing I did like that GS used occasionally is weakside backdoor cuts when the drove or threw the ball around the mid-area of the paint. They'd flash guys in who took advantage of open lanes, something I wish KO would deploy more often. More than once I thought that Bazz and Kemba would be a great fit for this team or this type of system.

On a loosely related note, I'm still not sure if the decrease in post offense is a byproduct of the more recent rules or a lack of dominant and skilled big men. With more and more players at all positions improving their ability to handle the ball, having a big 4 and/or 5 that clog the lane does cause unwanted traffic in and around the paint. I guess having the personnel to play different styles would be ideal. Just think if the Cavs had a couple big physical but relatively mobile bigs forcing GS's smaller players to guard them more closely in the post. Depending how the officials call a given game, they would be prone to not only give up points in the paint but pick up a lot more fouls. The Cavs simply didn't have enough inside nor outside threats to give GS problems. Would a young Shaq have dominated or influenced what we saw in the playoffs this year? Would mobile bigs like Parrish or Ewing resulted in more conventional offenses being successful? Anyhow, it will be very interesting to see how things play out with the bigs who are in and coming into the league over the next few years, in relation to the newer rules and offenses philosophies we're starting to see with some of the more successful NBA teams.

Lastly, although I'm not a big fan of the way that Lebron carries himself his comment about being the best player in the world was somewhat taken out of context. With that said, I'd prefer he'd not make such comments and talk team more often. But you have to keep in mind that he is constantly being attacked by the media and he's only stating the obvious, that the team (talent level) that was on the floor in the finals pretty much sucked. If you took him off that team, they'd likely be battling it out for a lottery pick. The fact that they won 2 games and were competitive for at least 3 quarters in the other games, shows you how fricken talented he is. With that said, it'd be best he just take his lumps, try to have his teammates' backs by saying things like, "They're working hard and doing the best they can, many in different roles from what they played all year, etc." That type of talk would be received a whole lot better. Any fan or media person with half a mind would realize that the Cavs were under-manned and that it is unlikely that anyone else on the planet could have carried that team like he did. Like it or not, he's a PG, SG, SF in a Center's body. I'm simply amazed that GS was even able to slow him as much as they did. I think if it wasn't for fatigue, James could have carved their D up all night long if he was more assertive and had a lot more gas in the tank. Again, I'm not a big fan of how he carries himself, but am a big fan of his game (power, skill, unselfishness, rebounding, etc.) Other than some lapses in FT shooting, he's got it all. If not for the fatigue factor, it wouldn't be such a bad idea to surround him with guys who can shoot Js and a few who can catch, drive and finish.

Reaction Score
I was intrigued by your title and had hoped you dive more into that thought. Now I didn't quite have that same thought the other day, but did enjoy Golden State's style of play. I wouldn't say that our style is just like theirs, but there are some similarities.

There are similarities between UConn and EVERY NBA TEAM because UConn runs a pro style offense.

Reaction Score
was going to start a new thread, but wont bother.

calipari is at it again.

Sporting News NCAAB‏@sn_ncaab
.@UKCoachCalipari coined a new phrase today — "positionless basketball” — so what’s it mean? http://Post original url/1K0TxMy

Same ish with the 'triangle of success' he touted... the guy is always in the media talking about some obvious strategy in a way that makes it seem novel, which it isn't. if he was so into positionless hoop he should have put poythress or randle at the 5 when we were smacking them with ball screens in 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom