Golden State equals "UCONN West" | The Boneyard

Golden State equals "UCONN West"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
For a very long time I stopped watching NBA hoops altogether for a number of reasons(most of them debatable or arguable). About three years ago (aided by the fact that I have NBA TV plus TNT), I started watching again. I was immediately attracted to teams that reminded me very much of the college game because of their style of play, the intense passion and unity of their fans, the designs of their arenas, and, in some cases, the personalities of both their players and coaches. AND, to one degree or another these teams reminded me why I have been a passionate UCONN fan for 50+ years. SO I have t-shirts that I wear regularly for the Blazers, Pacers, Thunder and Warriors.

Clearly, there are many other arguments or reasons for loyalty to any NBA team. However, regarding the NBA Finals, I very definitely wanted Golden State to win. I have never believed(in fact it is one of the turnoffs about all sports) in the "cult of personality"; but only in the "commitment to team". When LeBron made that statement after Game 5 about being the best player in the world I wanted to hurl. In fact, I thought it was, intended or not, a slap in the face to his team mates. There is no doubt Lebron that you will have a special place in NBA history when all is said and done. BUT, this summer I think it might help if you develop some understanding of "team". Maybe you could come to the new basketball facility in Storrs. They do a great job teaching the concept. Then next year you can start the season knowing(with some help from the Cavs front office) that you don't have to do it all by yourself. :)

BRAVO GOLDEN STATE!!! MANY MORE!!!

Reaction Score
When LeBron made that statement after Game 5 about being the best player in the world I wanted to hurl. In fact, I thought it was, intended or not, a slap in the face to his team mates. :)

I think people say regrettable things when exhausted. James is the most unselfish superstar I've seen in a while, sometimes to a fault. I also think that the Curry MVP award affected him more than he was letting on. I would only have a 'real' problem with his statement if it wasn't backed up. He's a great teammate, so if it was a slap in the face, it certainly was not intended.

The unselfishness of GSW is Championship ball. San Antonio fits that model as well. With our 2015-2016 roster, if we adopt GSW team style we will go very far. Our coach is the definition of unselfish, team playing basketball.

Reaction Score
Um, LeBron averaged close to a triple double in the finals. The Cavs were without Kyrie Irving and Kevin Love and still managed to win 2 games.

I understand why some don't like Lebron, but he is the best player in the NBA.

I think biggest mistake by Cavs would be to resign Kevin Love. Just not a fit on that team.

Reaction Score
For a very long time I stopped watching NBA hoops altogether for a number of reasons(most of them debatable or arguable). About three years ago (aided by the fact that I have NBA TV plus TNT), I started watching again. I was immediately attracted to teams that reminded me very much of the college game because of their style of play, the intense passion and unity of their fans, the designs of their arenas, and, in some cases, the personalities of both their players and coaches. AND, to one degree or another these teams reminded me why I have been a passionate UCONN fan for 50+ years. SO I have t-shirts that I wear regularly for the Blazers, Pacers, Thunder and Warriors.

Clearly, there are many other arguments or reasons for loyalty to any NBA team. However, regarding the NBA Finals, I very definitely wanted Golden State to win. I have never believed(in fact it is one of the turnoffs about all sports) in the "cult of personality"; but only in the "commitment to team". When LeBron made that statement after Game 5 about being the best player in the world I wanted to hurl. In fact, I thought it was, intended or not, a slap in the face to his team mates. There is no doubt Lebron that you will have a special place in NBA history when all is said and done. BUT, this summer I think it might help if you develop some understanding of "team". Maybe you could come to the new basketball facility in Storrs. They do a great job teaching the concept. Then next year you can start the season knowing(with some help from the Cavs front office) that you don't have to do it all by yourself. :)

BRAVO GOLDEN STATE!!! MANY MORE!!!

Couldn't disagree more with your second paragraph. How is saying he is the best player in the world a slap in his face to his teammates? He's 100% the best player in the league and the next best player who was not injured is probably the 100th best player in the league (probably generous). Like Kitaman said, he is sometimes unselfish to a fault. Who else is going to score on that team? JR Smith, who didn't hit a shot until late in Q3 last night?

The "you don't have to do it all by yourself" comment is absurd. Who else is going to do it? That team without LeBron is AWFULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL. Take Lebron out of that lineup, they legitimately get beat by 40 points every game.

Reaction Score
Um, LeBron averaged close to a triple double in the finals. The Cavs were without Kyrie Irving and Kevin Love and still managed to win 2 games.

I understand why some don't like Lebron, but he is the best player in the NBA.

I think biggest mistake by Cavs would be to resign Kevin Love. Just not a fit on that team.
Don't forget Anderson Varejao. Love, Irving, and Varejao were the three best in terms of PER next to LeBron, and the three highest paid next to LeBron. Take away Thompson, Iguodala, and Lee and lets see how the Warriors do.

Reaction Score
Don't forget Anderson Varejao. Love, Irving, and Varejao were the three best in terms of PER next to LeBron, and the three highest paid next to LeBron. Take away Thompson, Iguodala, and Lee and lets see how the Warriors do.
If they have Varejao I doubt they go after Mosgov, to me that's a wash there and probably leans towards Mosgov since he actually manages to stay on the floor. Varejao has been injured on and off for awhile now so if the Cavs were counting on him to be able to survive a 100+ game season that's on them.

Reaction Score
I'm still unsure why "golden state equals uconn west." Is it because you like watching them play so they equal another team you like watching? Other than that there's pretty much zero similarity between the two teams other than they both play basketball

Reaction Score
Don't let a run through the weak East fool you. Love is perfect for that team. They ended the regular season 34-9, with two of those losses coming to the Celtics in games they were resting key players.

He's all over their best 5-man lineups, and he would have been the perfect counter to the Warriors small-ball, given his exceptional rebounding skills and his spacing his shooting would have brought.

Reaction Score
Don't let a run through the weak East fool you. Love is perfect for that team. They ended the regular season 34-9, with two of those losses coming to the Celtics in games they were resting key players.

He's all over their best 5-man lineups, and he would have been the perfect counter to the Warriors small-ball, given his exceptional rebounding skills and his spacing his shooting would have brought.
I think the jury is still out on that. Clearly the Cavs found a defensive intensity that worked in these playoffs without Love and to a certain degree without Irving. But they are eons better offensively with those two, especially Irving. And that defense wouldn't be sustainable over an 82 game regular season.

What I think is most TBD is how Love fits with LeBron, TThompson (and to a lesser extent Varejao, but can't plan on him as he gets hurt every year). All 3 are PF at times. The Cavs are definitely better with Love, but he's at best their 3rd leading scorer and what is best for Kevin Love's career doesn't fit perfectly with his role on the Cavs. Cavs should offer him the max b/c he's an asset and even if not a top-10 player certainly top-20. But I think Kevin Love will very seriously consider going elsewhere, I'd put the odds 49% stays, 51% goes.

Reaction Score
LBJ got robbed with the finals mvp. Playing essentially the whole game for the finals is insane when you are making almost all the offensive and defensive plays. Game 5 LeBron accounted for 70/91 team points or something like that. That is ridiculous. Without LBJ that team would be blown put by 50 every night. I wasn't a fan of his before but after this finals I respect him alot.

Reaction Score
I cant believe you people that think LeBron deserves an award because his fellow stars got injured... For example, Carmelo was probably the most valuable player to his team during the year since he was their only player... but they don't just give awards for bad luck or being on the team fully depleted of talent

I will never understand how making the finals interesting because they aren't a blowout is deserving of the MVP trophy, you people are too much

Reaction Score
I cant believe you people that think LeBron deserves an award because his fellow stars got injured... For example, Carmelo was probably the most valuable player to his team during the year since he was their only player... but they don't just give awards for bad luck or being on the team fully depleted of talent

I will never understand how making the finals interesting because they aren't a blowout is deserving of the MVP trophy, you people are too much

Learn to read.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I heard somebody on TV say, and I agree, that LeBron making that statement about being the best player was him putting the onus on himself but also trying to instill the mindset that the series wasn't over in his teammates. Just remind them to think "Well we got LBJ and he's going to perform so I might as well try to contribute whatever I can" instead of having the thought in the back of the mind that the series belonged to the warriors. I don't know if they ever really had a chance once GS won game 4, but the Cavs didn't stop fighting.

Cavs need Love back, but they really need Irving to stay healthy over the next few years. And more consistent shooting than what JR could provide. (Should have signed Ray Allen!)

Reaction Score
AND, to one degree or another these teams reminded me why I have been a passionate UCONN fan for 50+ years. SO I have t-shirts that I wear regularly for the Blazers, Pacers, Thunder and Warriors.

Does that make Portland "UConn Pacific Northwest" and OKC "UConn Midwest"?

What a stupid post.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score

And to add to this: the Cavs were 32-3 in the last 35 games LeBron, Kyrie & Love played together.

As a GSW fan, I'm enjoying the out of today, and this summer. But I'm under no illusions about who the favorites are next year. Just look at Year 1 to Year 2 improvement of LeBron's last team, and look at the fact that this Cavs group will be together for an entire year, and they have Haywood's expiring contract to add another huge piece, and they still have their first-round pick...

I think they make a run at 70 wins next season. And if they're healthy, they're going to beat the living hell out of everyone in the postseason.

Reaction Score
And to add to this: the Cavs were 32-3 in the last 35 games LeBron, Kyrie & Love played together.

As a GSW fan, I'm enjoying the out of today, and this summer. But I'm under no illusions about who the favorites are next year. Just look at Year 1 to Year 2 improvement of LeBron's last team, and look at the fact that this Cavs group will be together for an entire year, and they have Haywood's expiring contract to add another huge piece, and they still have their first-round pick...

I think they make a run at 70 wins next season. And if they're healthy, they're going to beat the living hell out of everyone in the postseason.
If they stay healthy and keep Love, they win next year for sure.

Reaction Score
honestly. KO's coaching in the 2014 run was legit, and he ran daniels/giffey at the 5 before kerr became a coach. I remember kerr claiming KO's rotations were 'masterful' in the title game vs UK...ollie is really an innovative basketball coach, can't wait to see what he does with new pieces this season.

Reaction Score
honestly. KO's coaching in the 2014 run was legit, and he ran daniels/giffey at the 5 before kerr became a coach. I remember kerr claiming KO's rotations were 'masterful' in the title game vs UK...ollie is really an innovative basketball coach, can't wait to see what he does with new pieces this season.

If you had mentioned the idea of Giffey playing center even a few years ago you would have been laughed off the board. I doubt Kerr used the 2014 Huskies as his blueprint for constructing this Warriors team, but as you examine the evolving landscape of the sport - and how teams are now downsizing to unprecedented levels seemingly every year - it's difficult not to be impressed at how ahead of the curve Ollie was on a lot of this stuff and applying it to his first couple UConn teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom