Go Big or Go Home Mr. B.... | The Boneyard

Go Big or Go Home Mr. B....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
Ok, in all seriousness, we have to grab a name that will sell tickets and turn this sinking ship back to respectability. I've seen names out there like Gene Chizik, Greg Schiano, Lane Kiffin, Mike Leach, Charlie Strong, Houston Nutt, Rich Rod and Dan Mullen, hell while we are brain storming maybe Steve Spurrier will take on the OC role.. I just don't see anyway a no name can come here without some sort of head coaching experience some where. This is a real head scratcher and I have to think the powers that be see that and know that. We need to make a statement now that we are committed to football and this next hire makes that statement. Please get this right Mr Benedict, we are begging you....

Reaction Score
Ok, in all seriousness, we have to grab a name that will sell tickets and turn this sinking ship back to respectability. I've seen names out there like Gene Chizik, Greg Schiano, Lane Kiffin, Mike Leach, Charlie Strong, Houston Nutt, Rich Rod and Dan Mullen, hell while we are brain storming maybe Steve Spurrier will take on the OC role.. I just don't see anyway a no name can come here without some sort of head coaching experience some where. This is a real head scratcher and I have to think the powers that be see that and know that. We need to make a statement now that we are committed to football and this next hire makes that statement. Please get this right Mr Benedict, we are begging you....

How's Lou Holtz's health these days?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You are living in a fantasy world if you think that any big name coach is on the table if Diaco is fired. The only way UConn can afford his buyout is to go really cheap with the next Head Coach. IF Diaco is fired, and that is a huge IF, I think the next coach comes from FCS and is cheap.

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
You are living in a fantasy world if you think that any big name coach is on the table if Diaco is fired. The only way UConn can afford his buyout is to go really cheap with the next Head Coach. IF Diaco is fired, and that is a huge IF, I think the next coach comes from FCS and is cheap.
You're dilusional if you think by going cheap is the answer, I have a source that says we also need to go big name with this next hire, cheap will not cut it. If we go cheap, you might as well crank up the lights and resurrect Memorial Stadium because we can not afford 7 more years of what's transpired here. Yeah, cheap is the way to go, good luck with that...

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You're dilusional if you think by going cheap is the answer, I have a source that says we also need to go big name with this next hire, cheap will not cut it. If we go cheap, you might as well crank up the lights and resurrect Memorial Stadium because we can not afford 7 more years of what's transpired here. Yeah, cheap is the way to go, good luck with that...

I can guarantee you that ALL options are on the table right now when it comes to the athletic program. They can't afford to keep Diaco and they can't afford to fire him. And they definitely can not afford to get the next hire wrong. There are only bad choices for Benedict right now.

Reaction Score
I have a source that says we also need to go big name with this next hire...

Well, we all know how your last source's info turned out...;)

Proven experience in a challenging environment (w/ preferred strong offensive background) is infinitely more important than a name that doesn't makes people go "who"? Looking for a name is what caused our last two issues.

Reaction Score
We need a fresh head coach who is successful and not buried in stubbornness/arrogance. One who tries to understand the situation and adjust the best he can. Someone who is very flexible.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Our best bet is to hire a coach who is a great coach but is damaged goods in some way. The Ray Rice of coaching if you will. Without the knocking out his girlfriend part.

Reaction Score
I am not against an innovative FCS coach, especially if the alternative is an expensive retread.

I totally agree. I would rather an exciting offensive FCS coach, than someone who has already failed at a place where the resources (money, recruiting base, conference, etc...) are far more than ours.

Hiring a retread is going the safe route. PP was that.

Reaction Score
I agree that we need an offensive minded coach, but I don't think we have to be a pass happy offense. For example, Rich Rod's offense at West Virginia ran 70% of the time. He spread out the defense and allowed his playmakers to make plays. The runs set up WVU's passing game.

In the recent past, UConn has hired 4 head football coaches: Holtz, Edsall, PP, and Diaco. Three were young and previously assistants and one old who had not been a head coach in almost a decade. I think a young assistant can still work, but I think he needs to be from the offensive side as it is easier to hire DCs than OCs.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Our best bet is to hire a coach who is a great coach but is damaged goods in some way. The Ray Rice of coaching if you will. Without the knocking out his girlfriend part.

Butch Jones just signed with FIU. My concern is that he will do well there because he is in FL and wouldn't have come here because it might actually be easier to win there than here.

I fear our program in its current state (conference, recruiting, scope of rebuild, money) isn't going to attract top names, known or unknown.

We may be stuck with Casey's dad.

Reaction Score
I wonder if Diaco's contract let's him be demoted ( to D coordinator). That is about the only way I think they could make the money work.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Can you say Al Golden.

Currently working with Lions with Edsall and Dan O. - just a 'connection' guess.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Butch Jones just signed with FIU. My concern is that he will do well there because he is in FL and wouldn't have come here because it might actually be easier to win there than here.

I fear our program in its current state (conference, recruiting, scope of rebuild, money) isn't going to attract top names, known or unknown.

We may be stuck with Casey's dad.

This is my fear also. We like to run names out there that have offensive pedigree...but it doesn't mean they would want to come here with the challenge of recruiting top athletes. Florida and Texas schools....no matter who they are...will always be more attractive. Diaco coming here and failing doesn't help that issue either.

Since this hire will probably be make or break for Benedict...I would guess it will be someone he has a connection with..or is recommended by someone he has a connection with.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Golden isn't a horrible name assuming he's improved. Failing at Miami has to be a mark against, especially with Richt turning it around so quickly.

But a lot of guys fail at their first big job. I don't recall his impact in turning temple around, whether he did the heavy lifting or one of the others through the turnstile.

His upside is recruiting connections in PA and FL. Two locales we need to draw from. I'd put him on the waiting list if we can't do better.

A relationship with Dan O and RE would be a plus but not a deciding factor.

It's funny how the entire fan base has already assumed Diaco is gone. It's the most united this board has been in years.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Golden isn't a horrible name assuming he's improved. Failing at Miami has to be a mark against, especially with Richt turning it around so quickly.

But a lot of guys fail at their first big job. I don't recall his impact in turning temple around, whether he did the heavy lifting or one of the others through the turnstile.

His upside is recruiting connections in PA and FL. Two locales we need to draw from. I'd put him on the waiting list if we can't do better.

A relationship with Dan O and RE would be a plus but not a deciding factor.

It's funny how the entire fan base has already assumed Diaco is gone. It's the most united this board has been in years.
I am not even sure if I like it - Keep in mind Al ended up with a NCAA investigation I am sure he wasnt counting on when he arrived in Miami.

Reaction Score

You don't reach into the water when the sharks are feeding...

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
We need a fresh head coach who is successful and not buried in stubbornness/arrogance. One who tries to understand the situation and adjust the best he can. Someone who is very flexible.

You just described T.J. Wiest.

Reaction Score
You just described T.J. Wiest.
Truth. I am all for bringing TJ Weist back. Him and Moorhead (who is a lot more abrasive) are solid candidates.

NDSU's coach would also be a good idea.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I am not concerned with hiring just "a name". If you can get a name guy, who is also the right guy and at the right price, fine. What I want is a good football coach. I don't think these players suck. The right coach would have won a few more games. At this point, I do think we need someone who has head coaching experience, who can recruit and who understands offense.

I am hopeful that Benedict knows just such a person somewhere on the staff of an SEC school, or knows somebody else at a small school in the south. Look at Neal Brown at Troy for example. And he's a UMass Alumn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom