Go Big or Go Home Mr. B.... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Go Big or Go Home Mr. B....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Golden isn't a horrible name assuming he's improved. Failing at Miami has to be a mark against, especially with Richt turning it around so quickly.

But a lot of guys fail at their first big job. I don't recall his impact in turning temple around, whether he did the heavy lifting or one of the others through the turnstile.

His upside is recruiting connections in PA and FL. Two locales we need to draw from. I'd put him on the waiting list if we can't do better.

A relationship with Dan O and RE would be a plus but not a deciding factor.

It's funny how the entire fan base has already assumed Diaco is gone. It's the most united this board has been in years.

He doesn't have very good recruiting connections down here in Florida. The guy alienated an entire community and he is as likely to be chased away from some high schools as he is to be welcomed there. His style of play was pretty conservative, especially defensively, so that is a knock against him as well. Al also accomplished the amazing feat of having a season that featured more NFL draft picks than it did wins if you can believe that. Now, it may be that he is better suited to build a program that isn't quite in the spotlight, but good lord was he a train wreck down here.

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
This is my fear also. We like to run names out there that have offensive pedigree...but it doesn't mean they would want to come here with the challenge of recruiting top athletes. Florida and Texas schools....no matter who they are...will always be more attractive. Diaco coming here and failing doesn't help that issue either.

Since this hire will probably be make or break for Benedict...I would guess it will be someone he has a connection with..or is recommended by someone he has a connection with.
Diaco failing has nothing to do with recruiting, he flat out isn't a head coach. That's the difference. At least Edsall coached his players up, the staff was far better then.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
I am not against an innovative FCS coach, especially if the alternative is an expensive retread.

I think I have mentioned him last week as well, but KC Keeler is a very intriguing option. We all know he had huge success at Delaware as a HC (won a National Championship), so he has a lot of experience as a HC. He has strong Northeast connections (from PA originally, started coaching career in MA, obviously had success at DE). He would come relatively cheap (coming from FCS). He is now at Sam Houston St--who is currently undefeated heading into the FCS playoffs. This is his 3rd year there and he was in the National Semifinals his first two years . He has always had a very great offense.

His team this year is just blowing everyone out of the water in every game. Last week they beat the #11 FCS schools by 36 points. This season, his team has won every game by more than 13 points--with most being wins of over 30 p0ints. His team this year is averaging 55 points per game, nearly 600 yards of offense per game (400 of which is passing). In the first half, his teams have outscored their opponent's 379-93 (the anti-Diaco). His offense is ridiculous.

And to make him even more interesting--some say any new coach would be destined to struggle next year given our QB situation. The QB at SHS this year is a 4th year Jr who can transfer next year to another school with no penalty. He has thrown for over 4,000 yards this year with a 52-7 TD to Int ratio--averaging almost 400 yards passing per game with an over 67% completion percentage. He was a rated the #18 QB in the country coming out of HS and signed with UAB--but after one year they folded shop and he transferred to SHS to play right away. So he his athletic eligibility is a Junior.

Maybe a package deal for Keeler and his own QB for one year to transition our program? And the money we save on his initial contract, we can use for a higher-end DC with strong recruiting ties.

He checks all the boxes that have been outlined here by many. And he supposedly really wanted the UConn gig back when Edsall left.

Just a thought. He would bring an exciting brand of football at minimum. He may have had more yards of offense in his last game against the #11 team than we have had in our last 6 games combined! :mad:

Reaction Score
He doesn't have very good recruiting connections down here in Florida. The guy alienated an entire community and he is as likely to be chased away from some high schools as he is to be welcomed there. His style of play was pretty conservative, especially defensively, so that is a knock against him as well. Al also accomplished the amazing feat of having a season that featured more NFL draft picks than it did wins if you can believe that. Now, it may be that he is better suited to build a program that isn't quite in the spotlight, but good lord was he a train wreck down here.

It didn't help that he had mental midgets/thugs like Warren Sapp and Michael Irvin throwing him under the bus left and right because he wasn't from The U.

Reaction Score
Golden isn't a horrible name assuming he's improved. Failing at Miami has to be a mark against, especially with Richt turning it around so quickly.

But a lot of guys fail at their first big job. I don't recall his impact in turning temple around, whether he did the heavy lifting or one of the others through the turnstile.

His upside is recruiting connections in PA and FL. Two locales we need to draw from. I'd put him on the waiting list if we can't do better.

A relationship with Dan O and RE would be a plus but not a deciding factor.

It's funny how the entire fan base has already assumed Diaco is gone. It's the most united this board has been in years.
Still has a lot of connections in NJ too where he is from

Reaction Score
I agree that we need an offensive minded coach, but I don't think we have to be a pass happy offense. For example, Rich Rod's offense at West Virginia ran 70% of the time. He spread out the defense and allowed his playmakers to make plays. The runs set up WVU's passing game.

In the recent past, UConn has hired 4 head football coaches: Holtz, Edsall, PP, and Diaco. Three were young and previously assistants and one old who had not been a head coach in almost a decade. I think a young assistant can still work, but I think he needs to be from the offensive side as it is easier to hire DCs than OCs.
Ironic thing about Rich Rod...he was available for the taking when Edsall left for Maryland. That a s s hat Hathaway never even bothered to make a call.

Reaction Score
I've always liked the idea of Keeler here. However, when I've mentioned it I've gotten blasted a bit. Now that he is succeeding at yet another school, you have to think the guy could win here.

Reaction Score
I think I have mentioned him last week as well, but KC Keeler is a very intriguing option. We all know he had huge success at Delaware as a HC (won a National Championship), so he has a lot of experience as a HC. He has strong Northeast connections (from PA originally, started coaching career in MA, obviously had success at DE). He would come relatively cheap (coming from FCS). He is now at Sam Houston St--who is currently undefeated heading into the FCS playoffs. This is his 3rd year there and he was in the National Semifinals his first two years . He has always had a very great offense.

He got fired by his alma mater where he restored winning and got them to championships. It was not because he wasn't winning. If we're going for coaches with baggage, go big and go after Briles. If not, then don't go after this kinda guy.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
If we're going for coaches with baggage, go big and go after Briles. If not, then don't go after this kinda guy.

Your "baggage" is a bit broad. That is like comparing a mud hut built by the natives to Trump Tower and saying "they are both buildings".

Briles "baggage" is covering up serial rapes of campus girls and running a dirty program.

Keeler's "baggage" was a strained relationship with a new AD who was trying to put his "stamp" on the program (and has failed miserably at that since Keeler left) and hurt feelings after he was pursuing the UConn job right after getting an extension from Delaware.

Briles is a non-starter with Herbst. There is no way he gets a consideration at UConn given the political climate and Herbst's vision for UConn.

Now if you want to throw out Tressell as a potential name with baggage we would consider--that may be more realistic. Briles is a non-starter given what he was accused of.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Our best bet is to hire a coach who is a great coach but is damaged goods in some way. The Ray Rice of coaching if you will. Without the knocking out his girlfriend part.
Bascially like the next Bobby Petrino and Western Kentucky?? lol

Reaction Score
I agree that we need an offensive minded coach, but I don't think we have to be a pass happy offense. For example, Rich Rod's offense at West Virginia ran 70% of the time. He spread out the defense and allowed his playmakers to make plays. The runs set up WVU's passing game.

In the recent past, UConn has hired 4 head football coaches: Holtz, Edsall, PP, and Diaco. Three were young and previously assistants and one old who had not been a head coach in almost a decade. I think a young assistant can still work, but I think he needs to be from the offensive side as it is easier to hire DCs than OCs.

UConn is in critical condition . . . so yes they need a pass happy offense. Put the GD ball into the GD endzone like other college programs.

Reaction Score
You are living in a fantasy world if you think that any big name coach is on the table if Diaco is fired. The only way UConn can afford his buyout is to go really cheap with the next Head Coach. IF Diaco is fired, and that is a huge IF, I think the next coach comes from FCS and is cheap.
Just get a good cheap one.

C

Chief00

Your "baggage" is a bit broad. That is like comparing a mud hut built by the natives to Trump Tower and saying "they are both buildings".

Briles "baggage" is covering up serial rapes of campus girls and running a dirty program.

Keeler's "baggage" was a strained relationship with a new AD who was trying to put his "stamp" on the program (and has failed miserably at that since Keeler left) and hurt feelings after he was pursuing the UConn job right after getting an extension from Delaware.

Briles is a non-starter with Herbst. There is no way he gets a consideration at UConn given the political climate and Herbst's vision for UConn.

Now if you want to throw out Tressell as a potential name with baggage we would consider--that may be more realistic. Briles is a non-starter given what he was accused of.
Maybe you have stumbled on the problem - Herbst vision for UConn?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Maybe you have stumbled on the problem - Herbst vision for UConn?

Chief, I know you want us to be like Louisville and Memphis and ignore academics completely. That is simply not happening, and you need to stop living in the past and get used to it.

C

Chief00

Chief, I know you want us to be like Louisville and Memphis and ignore academics completely. That is simply not happening, and you need to stop living in the past and get used to it.

LOL - Actually, I wish she was more academic, especially in math. How do you give a 6-7 coach (8-17 cumulative) a $5 million severance deal to reward a losing season when the State is not fiscally solvent when Pension underfunding is considered. The prior deal would pay out about $1.6M. So she just blew $3.4 million in one poor decision.

Reaction Score
Les Miles head coach, Joe Moorhead OC and Charlie Strong as DC... KIDDING BEFORE ANYONE REPLIES
If you are gonna go down this road..I'm gonna add to the this group Eddie Orgeron as Asst Head coach/DL coach/Recruiting Coordinator

Reaction Score
Les Miles head coach, Joe Moorhead OC and Charlie Strong as DC...
Eddie Orgeron as Asst Head coach/DL coach/Recruiting Coordinator

Notwithstanding the obvious, imagine convincing a group like this that the challenge of turning UConn into a football power may just be the most rewarding thing they've ever tried to accomplish. It would be an awesome pitch if we had a big discretionary budget and a heck of a salesman.
Herbst knows she got bad advice on the Diaco extension, so her salesman (Benedict) has this one last shot to dream big. He's got to make the case and convince the braintrust that his solution (whoever it is) is our last best hope for redemption. We'll never have another opportunity to get a proven difference maker if we flop on this one.

Reaction Score
Notwithstanding the obvious, imagine convincing a group like this that the challenge of turning UConn into a football power may just be the most rewarding thing they've ever tried to accomplish. It would be an awesome pitch if we had a big discretionary budget and a heck of a salesman.
Herbst knows she got bad advice on the Diaco extension, so her salesman (Benedict) has this one last shot to dream big. He's got to make the case and convince the braintrust that his solution (whoever it is) is our last best hope for redemption. We'll never have another opportunity to get a proven difference maker if we flop on this one.
Nos it has been my understanding from reading the quotes in the articles about the extension in the paper that it was pretty much a done deal before Benedict was hired.

To go back in time I was told once during a conversation with a booster in the gold lot as we were commiserating about Jeff Hathaway that he was approached after Edsall left with a team of Jeff Jagodzinski as HC, Mike Leach as OC (he wanted to get off the radio and back into the game), Hal Mumme as DC. Call was never returned as he had quickly set his sights on Pasqualoni.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits