Gibbs plays way too many minutes | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Gibbs plays way too many minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Gibbs is a spot up shooter who converts 3's at a high rate.

Calhoun? Not so much.

But Calhoun hits enough so that he can bring guys out then slash to the basket and feed or float one up. I feel less confident when Gibbs tries to "create" something.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
They are all spot up 3-pt shooters except for Hamilton who is a fast break finisher and Miller who has some decent low post move. We have no elite level offensive players. There is nothing we can hang our hat on in the half court when we need basket. No one to break down the defense and are at the mercy of guys hitting jump shots.

The last run of threes is prototypical of our offense. Huck and hope unless they are set shots.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
They are all spot up 3-pt shooters except for Hamilton who is a fast break finisher and Miller who has some decent low post move. We have no elite level offensive players. There is nothing we can hang our hat on in the half court when we need basket. No one to break down the defense and are at the mercy of guys hitting jump shots.

The last run of threes is prototypical of our offense. Huck and hope unless they are set shots.
Miller has great low post moves and, in my opinion, is an elite level offensive player when we actually feed him in the post. Jalen is the closest thing we have to a breakdown offensive player which is why he needs to play a ton of minutes. Seems pretty obvious thats our best chance of winning going forward.

Reaction Score
I agree. Every time Gibbs has the ball with 10 seconds left on the shot clock, I cringe. He cant beat anyone off the dribble, his handle is so-so at best, he's just not dominant. It's the reason why he was a stand out at Seton hall, it's because it's Seton Hall. He looks sometimes on the court. Like, what was he taught by Rick Barnes and Kevin Willard?!?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I know how dumb it sounds and that it's in all likelihood not the case. I just can't think of any good reason why Gibbs is still handling the ball as much as he does when it's blatantly apparent that it doesn't put us in the best position to win games. It saddens me.

I think it is more likely that in convincing him to come here, he was given at least a soft promise with regard to playing time.

He's a superb 3 point shooter from a set position. Several times in the last few games, I see the offense generate a spot up shot for a corner 3 pointer. One of them went to Gibbs (who made it)...I counted 5-6+ for Adams, who made one of them. That's the head scratching stuff. Get Gibbs on the wings spotting up for 3's and he'll put up 15+ a game. He'd also have fewer turnovers.

Every time I see Gibbs driving and kicking out to Adams...you just know they are each in the wrong spot.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
He has such an obvious role on the team as a spot up 3 point shooter.

He is very good at it.

For some reason, the coaches haven't figured that out and keep trying to make him a point guard. He can't get past his man in the half court sets and he is scared out of his mind when he gets the ball with less than 10 seconds on the shot clock.
I think they have been trying to showcase him for the NBA, but it just isn't working out for him. He just isn't good enough in more aspects of the game.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Give the keys to Jalen and see how far this engine can take us. Worse comes to worst we get bounced in first or second round of the ncaa tourney on the back of our future star PG. Not saying the season is lost, but we are not stringing 6 in a row against NCAA tournament teams with our current makeup offensively.

Reaction Score
Gibbs can't guard anyone for $*** bet my 5 year old son can get around him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member