Gibbs plays way too many minutes | The Boneyard

Gibbs plays way too many minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
He has such an obvious role on the team as a spot up 3 point shooter.

He is very good at it.

For some reason, the coaches haven't figured that out and keep trying to make him a point guard. He can't get past his man in the half court sets and he is scared out of his mind when he gets the ball with less than 10 seconds on the shot clock.

Reaction Score
My starting 5 for the next game is

Brimah
Miller
Purvis
Gibbs
Adams

Then play who is playing well, otherwise they sit.

Reaction Score
At this point he should get slightly more time than Casell

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
That is the only other option...he can dribble and pass and purportedly has been shooting well in practice...but his defense is suspect and he has made a terrible play on each of last four appearances

Reaction Score
Yup, so does Dham. Need Dham to rebound but I've had it with the volume shooting low % way to many 3s. Don't want to here it. He's not that player.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
My starting 5 for the next game is

Brimah
Miller
Purvis
Gibbs
Adams

Then play who is playing well, otherwise they sit.
That's the only sane possibility. Although I would be ok with Calhoun over Gibbs or Purvis.

Reaction Score
Purvis needs to figure it out if he's going to keep trying to drive to the basket. Cannot make a layup to save his life.

It's mid February and Jalen has shown he can take over games. It's time for the freshman to be in there at all times and Gibbs to be on the bench

NotADimeBack

Give me my avi back
Reaction Score
I agree... Gibbs needs to just shoot when open and given the pass. That
should be his only job

Reaction Score
The problem is that nobody in the 2 guard role is anything approaching reliable.

Ideally all of Purvis, Gibbs, and Calhoun would be bench players whose minutes you could tailor on a given night based on what they're giving us. But you have to start one of them.

At least get Adams into the starting lineup. The problem is, if Gibbs is alongside him, the freshman will be expected to defer to the 5th year senior, to the detriment of the team.

Reaction Score
The problem is that nobody in the 2 guard role is anything approaching reliable.

Ideally all of Purvis, Gibbs, and Calhoun would be bench players whose minutes you could tailor on a given night based on what they're giving us. But you have to start one of them.

At least get Adams into the starting lineup. The problem is, if Gibbs is alongside him, the freshman will be expected to defer to the 5th year senior, to the detriment of the team.

Not if KO does his job and tells Gibbs that JA is the leader and if Gibbs wants to play, he defers to JA He needs to do this and do it NOW.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's hard. Purvis isn't consistent enough to give him starters minutes. Calhoun isn't good enough either..and Jalen defers to Gibbs..which is bad. Very bad.

My advice would be to let the players know their roles..Gibbs is the third ball handler (after Adams and Hamilton) and he's the most consistent shooter..(which we do desperately need.)

Reaction Score
Gibbs might make a layup from the left side if he learned to shoot a lefthanded layup.

Reaction Score
He has such an obvious role on the team as a spot up 3 point shooter.

He is very good at it.

For some reason, the coaches haven't figured that out and keep trying to make him a point guard. He can't get past his man in the half court sets and he is scared out of his mind when he gets the ball with less than 10 seconds on the shot clock.
For some reason I don't think KO is on that page.

Reaction Score
Jim Calhoun said that Gibbs is better off the ball. I have to imagine that he's had this conversation with KO at some point. If this is true, what the hell is KO thinking? Is Gibbs threatening to tank academically if he doesn't get his way or something?

Reaction Score
Yes, I think that's probably it.
I know how dumb it sounds and that it's in all likelihood not the case. I just can't think of any good reason why Gibbs is still handling the ball as much as he does when it's blatantly apparent that it doesn't put us in the best position to win games. It saddens me.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
The lack of judgement repeatedly screws us. Normally it's the refusal to pass, but today there was the absolutely idiotic slap foul 80-something feet away from the basket against a guy who wasn't holding the ball.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
It's more than just Gibbs, this team is just broken. Every game against a decent team (aka top 50) we win is because someone way outperforms their average.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
How many times is Gibbs going to ruin a fast break by trying to take it himself? He did it again today and it led to a run out and 4 point swing.
5 point swing. Missed 2 and Cincy hit a 3.

Reaction Score
At the beginning of the season you hoped all of the observations in this thread were just an aberration and he'd settle in. Unfortunately it hasn't happened and Jalen looks like the only true point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom