Georgia Tech Postgame Thread [Merged Thread] | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Georgia Tech Postgame Thread [Merged Thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
View attachment 71714 I never thought I’d see UConn WBB athletes unable or unwilling to discuss a game with the media, tough loss notwithstanding.
Maybe they need a moment to focus their energy elsewhere. Maybe they want to focus forward. I'm sure they have a good reason. I'm reading these comments from "fans" and I probably wouldn't do a presser either. Tough loss. Move on. Not the time to lose their confidence.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I don't agree, but thank you anyway. This is when they learn to accept defeat, and are given an opportunity face it up and take responsibility for it. Sports is unique in that, and is why some of the best usually have athletics in their biography.
If you think forcing two sobbing players to face a room full of reporters somehow makes them better people or players, I guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree

Reaction Score
"I've usually been pretty good over the years at making players better. Our players get a lot better at UConn...and right now that's not happening" - Geno Auriemma
This post-game comment from the head coach is one encouraging thing to come out of tonight. It shows that Geno understands the gravity of the situation his program is in relative to historical standards, and I'm not just talking about tonight's game. And perhaps more importantly, that he is taking some ownership... a necessary precursor for needed change.

Reaction Score
If you think forcing two sobbing players to face a room full of reporters somehow makes them better people or players, I guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree
I agree, Nan! These players have faced the media after every loss. Right now, they are deflated, confused, & lost. Facing the media is in nobody's best interest.

Reaction Score
I just rewatched part of the 2002 Oklahoma/UConn national championship game with DT/Sue/Swin/etc. to cleanse my spirit. I couldn't help but notice how different the energy felt - the players were smiling, having fun, and the flow was easy and smooth, even when the game was close. Geno was cheering them on. They were making easy buckets and staying active on defense. It all felt so...watchable.

The fun is gone and I don't know why. My best guess is that the players are under enormous amounts of pressure that Geno so far hasn't been able to channel into productivity and engagement as he has in the past. There's the normal "playing at UConn" pressure, which is high enough, then there's the pressure of getting an overdue national championship, and if you're anyone but Paige, of proving yourself to be worthy of anything in Geno's (and the public's) eyes. Plus, it's not lost on me the impact that COVID has probably had on these players, who we forget are mostly still kids -- away from home, dealing with all of the pandemic-related stuff that we are. Then you add losing Paige and Nika, the emotional centers of the team, as well as the much-heralded freshman Azzi, and it's a recipe for a total emotional breakdown.

Playing at UConn will always be a pressure-filled situation, and these players knew that, and probably, for most of them, love that about the program. But sometimes the pressure can be overwhelming. Geno and his staff have to figure out a way to help this team feel supported, unified, and confident, and to ease some of those burdens. Of course, there's the technical stuff -- the turnovers, shooting, etc. -- but this team is so talented that I doubt it's a skill gap. It's a cohesion and unity gap, and that needs to be solved now.

If I'm Geno, I get some good sports psychologists, do some deep team building and soul searching, and figure out how to reshape the identity of the group.

JBK

Reaction Score
Paige was the Basketball IQ of the team on the floor. Without her UConn is a router less ship. You don’t want CW or EWwith the ball in their hands trying to make decision. That’s not their strength.
They were both the best high school player of the year. # 1. Same as Paige.
Just need confidence and support
Evina Avg 15 a game at Tenn
Dorka 15 a game at Ohio State.

Let’s Get them in the offense.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I don't agree, but thank you anyway. This is when they learn to accept defeat, and are given an opportunity face it up and take responsibility for it. Sports is unique in that, and is why some of the best usually have athletics in their biography.
What a weird take to think answering meaningless questions from the media somehow teaches young athletes about accepting defeat and accountability. So they'll feel less bad about the loss if they don't answer questions from the media? They won't be accountable to their coaches and teammates (all that matters btw) unless they answer a question from Alexa Phillippou? Seriously?

Reaction Score
Who said anything about "forcing" anyone to do anything? I'm talking about voluntarily taking responsibility. It's something adults do.

OK, you win.

Reaction Score
Looks to me like Edwards has the yips. Steve Sax couldn't throw from 2nd to 1st. Dale Murphy couldn't throw the ball back to the pitcher from behind the plate. In Edwards case she either misses everything or almost shatters the glass. If that's what this is, only one way to get over it, and some people on here won't like it because it requires patience and not acting like these games are for the National Championship.
Just read someone's post saying Rebecca Lobo mentioned Edwards having the yips. Sorry for the repeat, but I always mute the sound during games.

Reaction Score
This post-game comment from the head coach is one encouraging thing to come out of tonight. It shows that Geno understands the gravity of the situation his program is in relative to historical standards, and I'm not just talking about tonight's game. And perhaps more importantly, that he is taking some ownership... a necessary precursor for needed change.
Exactly. Just last year, Geno developed Aubrey, AE, & Nika & they over- performed beyond expectations. Their progress has been hindered by injury & loss of confidence this season.

Reaction Score
Paige was the Basketball IQ of the team on the floor. Without her UConn is a router less ship. You don’t want CW or EWwith the ball in their hands trying to make decision. That’s not their strength.
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor??

***rudderless

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Oh do I ever know. One thing people aren't mentioning here though, is that this team does not play with joy and a love for the game. Yes, they play hard, ineffectively, but hard. But with little joy. It really shows when they choke and show little decipline or poise in the final periods.
Lack of joy seems to be a common observation but it is just a symptom of the immense pressure our team is under and especially the 3 seniors who have their own concerns regarding professional prospects. And that pressure is clearly on the coaching staff and is only going to build. Paige not only bailed them out countless times but her enthusiastic demeanor helped ease some of that pressure.

JBK

Reaction Score
Well, we now got a glimpse of what UConn is without Paige. I know we were very shorthanded, but still, it's a bit of a surprise, given all the highly ranked players we still put on the court (many more than GT).
For those who thought Ducharme was the answer.. no, not yet at least. She was fairly useless tonight.
I can see people missing 3pt shots, but CW consistently misses by an unbelievable amount.
For those who had been claiming AE is the second coming, I'm baffled by how bad she has been. Can't even make a layup.
Evina has been far below expectations.
Liv has been okay, but tonight, not much more than that.
Juhasz has been a disappointment -- I definitely expected much more from her.
A good glimpse of Amari... hoping she can build on that.
Our streak of not losing two in a row is certainly in jeopardy, unless our ladies can dig deep!
I remain hopeful, but barely so... :)
Sorry. How can all these stars be bad. It is time for our HOF coaches to take accountability and stop blaming these college athletes and run an offense that works for them
Paige is gone for 2 months - let’s build up to our current players.
Geno must stop saying they have to play their very best to win — not true.
Play as a team and play like you u understand the offense

Reaction Score
This is not the time for the coach to be critical or dismissive of his kids.
Aside from one player this isn’t the most confident group of players he has ever assembled.
Even if he has to fake it, Geno needs to pump them up and applaud their good plays.
”You can do it Kippy!”

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
We all saw the same thing tonight. I have nothing to add that you already don’t know. So with that, I’ll say goodnight.

Reaction Score
Not pretty at all. Neither will this post be. It's a bit of a rant so let me just get it out of my system...

I get the team is re-acclimating after losing Paige and Nika, but this is a team that starts 4 top 5 recruits and now 1 former Big 10 all star. 44 points in a game? 2 quarters where we scored single figures and one where we scored 11.

Are the coaches recruiting the wrong kids? Are they coaching them wrong? How many HS AA's does Ga Tech have? I have no words for the mess we just saw. At this moment, this team is not even a top 25 team, and to think that 1 player makes that much of a difference says a lot about the quality of the other players on the team and/or how they play together.

I'm not going to pick on specific players, but IMHO both the coaches AND the players need to look in the mirror and do some serious soul searching. This might be the worst game I've ever seen a UCONN team with this much talent play.

Not sure what Geno and Jamelle were barking at each other about. Would love to have been a fly on the bench at that moment.

Was nice to at least see Amari get some PT and do more in the stat sheet than Liya.

We lost Q4 18-5. Can't blame that on 3 games in 3 days.
But isn’t this the same group of players that went on a 22-2 run against the #1 team in the country a couple of weeks ago? I don’t think Geno is recruiting the wrong players. I think the adjustment to losing the best player in the country is bigger than we expected.

Reaction Score
Just read someone's post saying Rebecca Lobo mentioned Edwards having the yips. Sorry for the repeat, but I always mute the sound during games.
The announcers were pretty good tonight, except for their obsession over UCONN losing to an unranked team. ESPN drowns itself in stats without context.

Reaction Score
I think CW was better her freshman year …I was criticized for saying I cringe when she shoots…she dribbles too much and forces shots too much….this is constructive criticism not being ugly. Dorka needs to be more aggressive and shoot with confidence…Caroline will get better she drives aggressively to the basket and her outside shooting will come when she gets more playing time….I liked Amari…she looks smooth and very fundamental.
Regardless the team will find its way when it counts. UCONN is UCONN….and the Georgia tech fans did not get to see the phenomenal Paige Bueckers.
We miss you Paige.
Did you notice that Amari kept the ball high upon the receipt of a pass from CD which led to first two points?

JBK

Reaction Score
I am really hoping that Aaliyah and Dorka can contribute on both ends of the court. They probably get the most reps in practice and then step on the game court and just seem to get lost. Not contributing consistently puts too much pressure on every one else, including the bench.
Not questioning the coaching at all - but the offense operates too high for all that height

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom