Georgia Tech Postgame Thread [Merged Thread] | The Boneyard

Georgia Tech Postgame Thread [Merged Thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Georgia Tech game:
  • This was a tough game to watch tonight, but not completely unexpected with UConn shorthanded against a good GT team. UConn is going to be a work-in-progress for a while as new players step in, injured players return, and everyone adjusts to their new roles on this team.
  • UConn has had their fair share of injuries through the years, but I cannot remember another game when the Huskies took the court down four key players.
  • It appeared that Paige did not make the trip, which I expected. Traveling on planes and through airports on a pair of crutches is not particularly easy or safe.
  • This was “Liv’s Home Coming Game” and she played very well until Geno was forced to sit her in the 3rd qtr after a questionable foul call on what appeared to be a clear block.
  • Rebecca described Aaliyah’s shooting woes as the yips. I guess that’s as good an explanation as any.
  • I didn’t even realize Amari had entered the game until she scored. She gave UConn some quality minutes in her very first PT with the Huskies.
  • I know this one hurts. Everyone needs to hang in there until the cavalry arrives.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Not pretty at all. Neither will this post be. It's a bit of a rant so let me just get it out of my system...

I get the team is re-acclimating after losing Paige and Nika, but this is a team that starts 4 top 5 recruits and now 1 former Big 10 all star. 44 points in a game? 2 quarters where we scored single figures and one where we scored 11.

Are the coaches recruiting the wrong kids? Are they coaching them wrong? How many HS AA's does Ga Tech have? I have no words for the mess we just saw. At this moment, this team is not even a top 25 team, and to think that 1 player makes that much of a difference says a lot about the quality of the other players on the team and/or how they play together.

I'm not going to pick on specific players, but IMHO both the coaches AND the players need to look in the mirror and do some serious soul searching. This might be the worst game I've ever seen a UCONN team with this much talent play.

Not sure what Geno and Jamelle were barking at each other about. Would love to have been a fly on the bench at that moment.

Was nice to at least see Amari get some PT and do more in the stat sheet than Liya.

We lost Q4 18-5. Can't blame that on 3 games in 3 days.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Scored more points in the 4th than against SCar. I really want to see all of these teams (SCar and GT) again down the road. Imagine how bad this loss would have been if GT could shoot FT's?

Reaction Score
Hard to watch, especially late in the game....makes me wonder if CW needs lasik for her eyes, I don't think she sees the rim clearly from the 3 pt line. AE missed too many bunnies. It has to be a tough loss...everyone knows we were way under staffed. I liked seeing Amari Berry on the floor.

Reaction Score
Generally, I agree with Old Dudes general optimism, but that was beyond UGLY.
I think we scored 1 point over 11 minutes. We have several players, who we all can identify, that are playing so badly that no amount of cavalry would help.

Reaction Score
I hope this isn't what this team is absent Paige. They looked so average and it's been a long time since UConn put an average team on the floor.

Reaction Score
Other than Amari giving some good minutes, and a pretty good game from Liv - the rest was just embarrassing. There were 4 returning players who started in the freakin' final 4 last year, plus one all Big 10 veteran player. I'm sorry, don't blame the injuries - most of those who played considerable minutes tonight just did not get it done. No excuses!

Reaction Score
I know this is one game but for the last few years I’ve gotten more and more tired of seeing Geno’s lack of energy and effort coaching. It starts at the top, this is a team that clearly lacks confidence and I believe a lot of that is a symptom of Geno’s attitude and his obvious favoritism/reliance on Paige. At least we got to see Amari tonight, that and olivias game are my only positives.

Reaction Score
Not pretty at all. Neither will this post be. It's a bit of a rant so let me just get it out of my system...

I get the team is re-acclimating after losing Paige and Nika, but this is a team that starts 4 top 5 recruits and now 1 former Big 10 all star. 44 points in a game? 2 quarters where we scored single figures and one where we scored 11.

Are the coaches recruiting the wrong kids? Are they coaching them wrong? How many HS AA's does Ga Tech have? I have no words for the mess we just saw. At this moment, this team is not even a top 25 team, and to think that 1 player makes that much of a difference says a lot about the quality of the other players on the team and/or how they play together.

I'm not going to pick on specific players, but IMHO both the coaches AND the players need to look in the mirror and do some serious soul searching. This might be the worst game I've ever seen a UCONN team with this much talent play.

Not sure what Geno and Jamelle were barking at each other about. Would love to have been a fly on the bench at that moment.

Was nice to at least see Amari get some PT and do more in the stat sheet than Liya.

We lost Q4 18-5. Can't blame that on 3 games in 3 days.
...same

Reaction Score
I think Geno was letting Aaliyah try to play through whatever her problem is but, alas, to no avail. I kept hoping he’d pull AEfor Amari but fina figured we were stuck with Aaliyah
Based on a small sample tonight, she should play before AE and Dorka. Not sure why she’s been stapled to the bench.

Reaction Score
Biggest problem was offense. No creativity, few if any player screening, turnovers galore, even when open many shots didn't even hit iron. Where were offensive plays run by UConn? GT looked like a good team that knew what to do, and they could execute as well. Not sure Geno can create some basic offensive plays in short amount of time but that is what's needed.

Reaction Score
Only positive thing I can say after that s$&t show is AD is going to be great. I was very pleased with her tonight. The rest was as bad is it could be. AE was so atrocious. Just sooooo awful. Worst I have EVER seen this team and Instarted watching in 94. Nowhere to go but up I guess. Also, they will more than likely lost to UCLA, Louisville and…………DePaul. Yup.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Oh, UCONN will see SC again.
Oh do I ever know. One thing people aren't mentioning here though, is that this team does not play with joy and a love for the game. Yes, they play hard, ineffectively, but hard. But with little joy. It really shows when they choke and show little decipline or poise in the final periods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom