Georgia Tech Postgame Thread [Merged Thread] | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Georgia Tech Postgame Thread [Merged Thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Well, it is a bit of a stretch to say UConn was down four “key” players, since three were bench players and were not offensive weapons. This team just didn’t play enough games in November and even if they had, would they have gotten the bench experience minutes? Geno’s only coaching strategy was to play Paige still she dropped. She dropped.
Azzi is certainly an offensive weapon. A healthy Aubrey does a whole lot of good for this team, other than scoring. But I do agree that UConn depended far too much on Paige.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
They were successful in the second quarter when they attacked the basket, getting points in the paint. In the second half, they rarely looked inside, often there was nobody near the basket. Don't know why they went away from what was working.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I think Geno was letting Aaliyah try to play through whatever her problem is but, alas, to no avail. I kept hoping he’d pull AEfor Amari but fina figured we were stuck with Aaliyah
Which is what I said as well in the chat. His quick jerk of Amari in the 3rd was puzzling to me, but he's the coach and must have seen something.

Reaction Score
For those of us who speculated and purchased Bridgeport tickets, cross your fingers we stay in the bracket. Going to be a loooong season. The gang that couldn't shoot straight is back. Can't wait for Big East games. Closest I've come to the MOV and it was the wrong team. Lots of mediocre performances but why single anyone out. It was a team effort

Reaction Score
Call me crazy, if we haven’t seen this before. Uconn can get shutdown especially when you don’t make adjustments. When games get tight Uconn gets rattled and out hustled. Take bad shots, rebounding and awful execution. How do you not take advantage of lack of playing time and come out and play like that? Don’t you feel challenged? Second half all offensive plays run to the right. Can’t anyone dribble w there left hand? Game was on the line w less then a minute, down 8 press the inbounds and you give up a full court pass for a bucket, nobody at half court to protect that? Sorry but that’s coaching!! Or are the players not able to make adjustments?

JBK

Reaction Score
Not pretty at all. Neither will this post be. It's a bit of a rant so let me just get it out of my system...

I get the team is re-acclimating after losing Paige and Nika, but this is a team that starts 4 top 5 recruits and now 1 former Big 10 all star. 44 points in a game? 2 quarters where we scored single figures and one where we scored 11.

Are the coaches recruiting the wrong kids? Are they coaching them wrong? How many HS AA's does Ga Tech have? I have no words for the mess we just saw. At this moment, this team is not even a top 25 team, and to think that 1 player makes that much of a difference says a lot about the quality of the other players on the team and/or how they play together.

I'm not going to pick on specific players, but IMHO both the coaches AND the players need to look in the mirror and do some serious soul searching. This might be the worst game I've ever seen a UCONN team with this much talent play.

Not sure what Geno and Jamelle were barking at each other about. Would love to have been a fly on the bench at that moment.

Was nice to at least see Amari get some PT and do more in the stat sheet than Liya.

We lost Q4 18-5. Can't blame that on 3 games in 3 days.
Agree.
Any time you state your opinion on this team, all boneyards think you are questioning the hall of game coach.
All great leaders take accountability and I believe this was the worst loss in the last 10 years. When you tell players that the offense does not work with out Paige, I guess that leads to 1 field goal in Q 4 and they believe you.
They have 5 top 10 recruits and Georgia Tech has no one in the top 100 - come on man !!!
We need an offense that fits the talent on the floor. How can Dorka avg 16 a game in the the big 10 and looks lost
Come on man
We need to wake up and coach to the players available now. This team has enough talent to win now
All great leaders learn to adapt to the times they are in. Let’s Go

Reaction Score
Call me crazy, if we haven’t seen this before. Uconn can get shutdown especially when you don’t make adjustments. When games get tight Uconn gets rattled and out hustled. Take bad shots, rebounding and awful execution. How do you not take advantage of lack of playing time and come out and play like that? Don’t you feel challenged? Second half all offensive plays run to the right. Can’t anyone dribble w there left hand? Game was on the line w less then a minute, down 8 press the inbounds and you give up a full court pass for a bucket, nobody at half court to protect that? Sorry but that’s coaching!! Or are the players not able to make adjustments?
OK

Reaction Score
Scored more points in the 4th than against SCar. I really want to see all of these teams (SCar and GT) again down the road. Imagine how bad this loss would have been if GT could shoot FT's?
Just a horrible game!!!!! CD has regressed after her breakout game and Edwards certainly isn’t the player she was last year. Outside of Paige maybe all these players are greatly overrated.

Reaction Score
I'm going to keep things as neutral as possible, as I predict an onslaught of negative posts are going to follow.
  • Tonight was the proof that our second 5 are not a top ten team, heck our 2-5 and a bench player looked like they'd struggle through the big east schedule. A lesson to a lot of posters to be more realistic with expectations and to respect the student athletes that play DI basketball, top to bottom. There's a lot more talent today than 20 years ago.
  • I do think it is difficult to adjust to losing a NPOY, but to also simultaneously be without another 3 contributors is incredibly tough. It's going to take some time to figure things out, and we need to be patient.
  • That being said, we still on paper brought a lot more talent to this matchup. How is it that our talent looked so bad? I am hopeful that those who played tonight take this loss very personally.
  • I noticed we pretty much ran zero half court offense. This might be a scenario where we have to rely on sets to generate open looks. You can't play read and react when nobody is moving. Nothing to react to.
  • I thought the turning point was the stretch where AE missed the wide open transition bucket, and then ONO went out with 3 fouls. After that point, we looked really bad offensively.
  • The good news is that Amari looked pretty good to me. Caroline had a very up and down game. But I think we have to continue to give both minutes as they look like they can develop into reliable options.
  • As for CW becoming our go to scorer? Not who I'd choose! But I guess what other option do we have?!

Reaction Score
The question has to be asked. Is Paige that special (answer is yes) that she covers up the team's deficiencies except against the premier teams or is the remaining cast overrated, the incoming class excepted?
Separately, Edwards is in the Twilight Zone. She clearly is playing with a lack of confidence. She has too much ability and ceiling to be playing this way.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
That was an embarrassing debacle. I expected it to be tough, but it was perhaps our ugliest game against a non-elite opponent since 2005.

Except for Paige (who was great) and Liv (who's doing ok), every player has not met my expectations. Maybe my expectations were off-base, but seemingly we have multiple key players who have regressed from last year. Most of us thought this would be a great and exciting year. The next 2 months could be painful. After that, who knows?

Reaction Score
I think it's time for a serious discussion about just punting this season. Have Paige not comeback because she feels she needs to rush. If this is how the srs are going to play with no drive then what is the point. Not one sr ever steps up in the biggest moments.

Reaction Score
That was an embarrassing debacle. I expected it to be tough, but it was perhaps our ugliest game against a non-elite opponent since 2005.

Except for Paige (who was great) and Liv (who's doing ok), every player has not met my expectations. Maybe my expectations were off-base, but seemingly we have multiple key players who have regressed from last year. Most of us thought this would be a great and exciting year. The next 2 months could be painful. After that, who knows?
The worst game I’ve ever watched a UConn team play. I’m in shock.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
the starting line up is not the move. Dorka is not consistent with her outside shot. Aaliyah has only made one 3 (that I can remember) since she arrived. The way Aaliyah and Dorka are playing, they don't deserve to start either.
CD on wing needs to start. Amari was good today. I hate that she was pulled so quickly. She got lost on defense a few times but she was rebounding.
I made a comment last week that losing Shea may be bigger than expected. Some have even made the same claim too. Only for us to be mocked as if Shea was a player and could score from the bench. But after today's guard play, don't tell me these are typical UConn guards on the floor. Especially when our guards (E and C) are the most experienced on the team.

After today's play, i hope they don't try to rush anyone back. In spite of how badly the team looks. Depending on how they do the next few weeks, if it continues to be a total disaster, i think you rest Paige and Azzi until next year. So they can fully heal and recover. It's clearly South Carolina's year.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I think it's time for a serious discussion about just punting this season. Have Paige not comeback because she feels she needs to rush. If this is how the srs are going to play with no drive then what is the point. Not one sr ever steps up in the biggest moments.
What does that even mean? Quit the season?

Reaction Score
My thoughts:

1) Let’s be honest the only player not being able to play that has a big and irreplaceable impact is Paige. No disrespect to the others but none were really lighting it up offensively so I don’t view that as a reason for this really poor performance.

2) Christyn has got to learn she is not a shooter. She was so so marvelous in the 1st half driving and creating off the dribble, then the second half she started taking step back three’s and forcing jumpers. That has never been her game.

3) I hope Dorka is just going through a learning curve because she’s looks nothing like the player I was expecting as a double double player in the BIG.

4) AE, if this wasn’t rock bottom I am not sure what will be.

5) ONO, played with some fire and hit some nice shots. She’s going to be needed to do a lot more of that.

6) Amari, based on her not playing at all his year was surprised how good and confident she looked. Some times all you need is a chance. Agree with others she should have gotten a little more run.

7) I think the talk of our top 5 on the bench could be their own team can be put to bed for a while. We started 3 highly talented seniors, a highly regarded transfer and a rising sophomore and we got beat badly and didn’t look good losing either.

That leads to my last comment, and I know its blasphemy to question Geno and the coaches, but this game was a failure on their part too. The team did not look good at all, played very scattered ball and there is way too much talent to score as few points as they did. Hopefully they get things figured out as they move forward.

Reaction Score
3EE5ED0D-4182-486F-9A96-C39376F09260.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member