Georgia Tech Postgame Thread [Merged Thread] | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Georgia Tech Postgame Thread [Merged Thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The only way things will change is if we work them out. That means practice the fundamentals. Work on them. Now I expect the UCLA game to be more of run and gun and we've got Liv who should be able to score against them. CW should be able to penetrate. Perhaps after the game on Saturday the team takes a few days off and goes to a movie and just gets away from basketball for a while and then come back with their head refreshed .
Finals are next week so basketball will likely be secondary anyway.

Reaction Score
Last evening was NOT one of Geno's finest moments as a "COACH" at UCONN. In fact, it may well have been Geno's WORST moment as a Coach, both ON and OFF the court. Not only was his managemetn of his players on the court considered to be poor (and yes, the players need to execute, BUT Geno is responsible to prepare them best to be able to properly execute on the court, when called upon, and Geno, in my opinion, gets an "F" for that (that what he gets for playing his starters too long in games, as the bench doesn't get enough PT to help them out whenever they might be called upon to help. And NO ONE CARES that he say's Paige is a Pain in the Ass and doesn't want to come off the court, no matter what the score may be. "WHOSE THE COACH? GENO or PAIGE ??" - Then there is Geno's handling of the PRESS before and after the game. He needs to step up and tell the press and media that the team is going to put tonight's performance behind them, and they all have a positive outlook that "THE TEAM" will be more than capable of overcoming any loss of players and will execute plays on the court, to the best of everyone's ability and that HE and his coaching staff will be there 200% to ensure that each and every player get everything they need to properly execute when called upon, on the court AND that this team, NO MATTER WHO IS OUT ON THE COURT, is more than capable of capturing a National Championship. This team does NOT run through PAIGE BUECKERS. It runs thru GENO AURIEMMA and the Coaches and that this is a TEAM game, comprised of a great deal of Top 25 High School Selections. Every part should be easily inter-changable, and to say that they were down 5 players (6 if you want to count Saylor Poffenbarger transferring out), is just a LAME EXECUSE. Sorry folks, but GENO AURIEMMA IS "NOT" GOD !!!!

Reaction Score
Do you think the fans that have fits over every missed layup, every win less than 40 points, or every player’s scoreless game have anything to do with added pressure? Maybe Christyn has seen all the posts calling for her to get pulled for some freshman? Could it be constant drip, drip, drip of fans’ complaints about the lack of, well, perfection that‘s adding to the stress?

The weight of expectations is enormous for UConn players.
By now, CW, ONO, and EW have been with this program and have logged in the minutes, to know, understand and HANDLE the Expectations of being a Starter for the University of Connecticut Women's Basketball Team, and being SENIORS they all should know how to handle such pressures, but how to thrive under it, and also to lead the way for the underclassman to be able to handle such pressures as well. To say that the weight of the expectations for these 3 Senior is enormous, is simply a statement and NOT and should NOT be used as an EXCUSE.

Reaction Score
Based on a small sample tonight, she should play before AE and Dorka. Not sure why she’s been stapled to the bench.
Dorka has not shown much either. Not shooting the ball or rebounding and her defense has been questionable. It is unbelievable Paige goes out and the whole team forgets how to play !

Reaction Score
Which is what I said as well in the chat. His quick jerk of Amari in the 3rd was puzzling to me, but he's the coach and must have seen something.
Coaching has been subpar, no question about it.

Reaction Score
You guys have an injury and just one person not out there can affect the chemistry. I follow Oregon and with 3 players out it is a “wounded animal”. The floor dynamics are just different. Oregon gets two of the 3 back next week. This week is just trying to survive. UConn will figure it out.

Reaction Score
This is a team playing its first game since losing its starting point guard and backup point guard (who started at PG half their games last year). When a team is missing its point guards, I expect a lot of turnovers and a lot of crappy shots. Turnovers weren't much worse than usual. There were more possessions than usual, though, with prayers lofted or players shooting threes just because they couldn't think of anything else to do.

The outcome was worse than I expected, but the flow was about what I expected. What I didn't expect was all the missed bunnies. I agree with Rebecca that something has gotten inside Edwards's head.

I thought Ducharme played pretty well other than not shooting well. I liked the little bit of DeBerry that we saw.
They should of had screen plays set up for her. She doesn't need much room. It looked like they didn't have any plays set up.

Reaction Score
I hope this isn't what this team is absent Paige. They looked so average and it's been a long time since UConn put an average team on the floor.
Average isn't the word for that complete and total aberration of basketball. Even worse than Liyah's missed bunnies that 96 percent of the viewing audience makes, was the incredibly regrettable pass by CW through the lane with four GT players vying one another to steal--No, average isn't the word for the atrocities we witnessed.. I would have never thought making UConn bad for women's basketball meant this...

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
You guys have an injury and just one person not out there can affect the chemistry. I follow Oregon and with 3 players out it is a “wounded animal”. The floor dynamics are just different. Oregon gets two of the 3 back next week. This week is just trying to survive. UConn will figure it out.
To be clear, UConn has 4 key players out with injuries at present.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Georgia Tech game:
  • This was a tough game to watch tonight, but not completely unexpected with UConn shorthanded against a good GT team. UConn is going to be a work-in-progress for a while as new players step in, injured players return, and everyone adjusts to their new roles on this team.
  • UConn has had their fair share of injuries through the years, but I cannot remember another game when the Huskies took the court down four key players.
  • It appeared that Paige did not make the trip, which I expected. Traveling on planes and through airports on a pair of crutches is not particularly easy or safe.
  • This was “Liv’s Home Coming Game” and she played very well until Geno was forced to sit her in the 3rd qtr after a questionable foul call on what appeared to be a clear block.
  • Rebecca described Aaliyah’s shooting woes as the yips. I guess that’s as good an explanation as any.
  • I didn’t even realize Amari had entered the game until she scored. She gave UConn some quality minutes in her very first PT with the Huskies.
  • I know this one hurts. Everyone needs to hang in there until the cavalry arrives.
Thanks, Old Dude, this is chicken noodle soup for the soul...

Reaction Score
I refuse to succumb to the majority standing of negativity on this board. I still believe in this team and will remain positive and unconditionally supportive because that is what these players need from their fan base. I know the circumstances are different but I remember a 97 Tennessee team that lost 10 games in the regular season coming off a title the year before and still were able to repeat beating a undefeated UCONN team along the way. ND did it in 18 with 4 torn ACLs even if two of those were primarily bench players. If Pat and Muffet could will those teams to raise the end of season trophy then why can't Geno be able to do it too even if it means him having to coach harder then he ever has before. If a few more losses along the way while they continue to figure it out happen then okay so be it. Like I've said before and again, the loyalty I have and UCONN blue in my blood still runs transparently through. I could care less about any counters this post may receive if any.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Coaching has been subpar, no question about it.
Not what I said. As the coach he must have known or seen something in Amari's play that predicated removing her. I've contended for some time that Amari has been both injured and out of condition, and these have been limiting factors in her PT. I contend also that because of this he found it necessary to pull her.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
They should of had screen plays set up for her. She doesn't need much room. It looked like they didn't have any plays set up.
But they did. CD's problem this game was her indecisiveness. She shot when she shouldn't have, didn't shoot when she should, put the ball on the floor when she shouldn't, put shots up in too much traffic, frequently had butterfingers, and missed wide open shots. She also had problems staying with her mark defensively. In short she showed she wasn't quite ready in a typical freshman way.

Reaction Score
I have seen Tiger Woods and Rory McIlroy and other top-ranked professional golfers skipped out of their post-round press OBLIGATION after a terrible round of golf. Sometimes you just have to flush it down the toilet and move on to the next game.
I do hope you’re not seriously comparing the Huskies players to Woods, perhaps the most pampered and entitled athlete in my lifetime?

As I and others have opined, we just believe athletes at that stage of their collegiate careers should fulfill their purported roles as UConn reps and as young adults.

Reaction Score
Dorka is " not consistent with her outside shot?" She has yet to make one at UCONN. That is the ultimate in consistency.
She had made a three, and really hasn’t attempted many, not that I think her perimeter shooting is an answer to what ails the Huskies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
She had made a three, and really hasn’t attempted many, not that I think her perimeter shooting is an answer to what ails the Huskies.
I would be really be happy if Dorka could provide some consistent low post points. Right now the only consistent low post scoring option is Liv, and she needs some help.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I refuse to succumb to the majority standing of negativity on this board. I still believe in this team and will remain positive and unconditionally supportive because that is what these players need from their fan base. I know the circumstances are different but I remember a 97 Tennessee team that lost 10 games in the regular season coming off a title the year before and still were able to repeat beating a undefeated UCONN team along the way. ND did it in 18 with 4 torn ACLs even if two of those were primarily bench players. If Pat and Muffet could will those teams to raise the end of season trophy then why can't Geno be able to do it too even if it means him having to coach harder then he ever has before. If a few more losses along the way while they continue to figure it out happen then okay so be it. Like I've said before and again, the loyalty I have and UCONN blue in my blood still runs transparently through. I could care less about any counters this post may receive if any.
The Tennessee situation isn’t all that different. Their point guard, Kelly Jolly (now Harper) was injured. That team had a great player in Chamique Holdsclaw and several players of note - Kyra Elzy, Niya Butts, Pashen Thomson, Abby Conklin, among others and still lost 10 games

Reaction Score
By now, CW, ONO, and EW have been with this program and have logged in the minutes, to know, understand and HANDLE the Expectations of being a Starter for the University of Connecticut Women's Basketball Team, and being SENIORS they all should know how to handle such pressures, but how to thrive under it, and also to lead the way for the underclassman to be able to handle such pressures as well. To say that the weight of the expectations for these 3 Senior is enormous, is simply a statement and NOT and should NOT be used as an EXCUSE.
Yes, certainly the weight of expectation is heavy on UConn players--but you had to know that going into the basketball capital of the world, no less--CW, Liv and EW all has WNBA aspirations, right? Will there be expectations at that level? And why did they choose UConn? No doubt because it prepares them best for the next level... So I agree-- to the freshmen, I can give grace and understanding, but not to three seniors who have pro aspirations...

Reaction Score
The Tennessee situation isn’t all that different. Their point guard, Kelly Jolly (now Harper) was injured. That team had the “Three Meeks”, Semeka Randall, Chamique Holdsclaw, and someone who should be on the 1a list of GOATS, Tamika Catchings.
The 3 meeks were the 98 team. Catchings was not on the 97 team.

Reaction Score
They are kids, not adults. Your criticism seems very harsh to me.
I’m with you that they are relatively young, but the seniors are not kids. Evina is 23, Liva and Christyn each 21.

Reaction Score
When it’s happened in the past, the players were too emotional for a press conference.

I am absolutely sure they aren’t ignoring the loss. That was an unusually harsh comment from you
Westbrook and Williams should have been out there to show some respect to the GT squad. No reason why when your team is so short handed you can’t go out there and do that. I mean its a lot easier to explain than the SC loss when you had a much healthier team. “Hats off to G Tech. They played us really tough and made more shots. When your down your top 2 point guards its not that easy to execute your office against a very motivated team like G Tech. We will have to execute better against Louisville.”

If CW couldn’t even say that Geno is right. It’s not fixable and they are in a much worse bad place.

I’m hoping they trust each more, stay dedicated to what their role should be and not try to do too much as individuals vs Louisville. It’s a long season. Gtech beat you. There’s lots of bball left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom